Old November 14, 2001, 21:22   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 12:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help FMK's Buddy Fix His CivII. <odd>
Greetings all,

Well here's the situation. It seems that my friend who has been just getting into CivII has been having some odd problems. But he just moved away from me so I can't look at his problem myself.

He emailed me saying that he just freshly installed CivII on his folks computer. But for some reason he is getting very odd movement values for his unit: Settler moves up to 4 times on grassland!

So, says I, its obviously a problem with your rules files... I sent him a fresh one, but no difference. So on instant messenger I take him through the directories so he can locate his rules file. I take him down to the units section and he reads the stats off to me... they are exactly what they should be!?!

All the terrains had normal values as well. He did not set any settings to 2x move or 2x prod or anything like that... he took me through setting up a new game and he is doing it right.

I simply know of no other place in the game that would be effecting the units' movement than in the 'rules.txt'. So what could his problem be? He reinstalkled as well, to no avail. I wish I could sit at his 'puter to get a better take on the situation. I have also had no luck at getting him to sign up at Apolyton.
I'll send him the link to this thread so he can monitor it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks fellas,
-FMK.
Old November 14, 2001, 23:36   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 10:49
Two ideas, don't take them patronizingly!

One, are there any other civs on the map when he started? If not, he'd just move all over without any waiting at the end of a turn.

Two, is either the road multiplier at the top of rules.txt changed, or the 'treat all squares as road' flag on?

If it's not something silly like this, there might be a DLL problem. Not all softwares are compatible, maybe something else on the machine bollocks up how civII works...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old November 16, 2001, 10:06   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 11:49
he could be lying to you too you know. whatever theory is left, no matter how implausible, must be the truth.
Old November 16, 2001, 14:02   #4
klesh
King

Local Time: 12:49
Update...

Well fellas, you can relax. It seems that my friend wasn't paying enough attention. IIRC, the game's default setting is NOT to wait at the end of a turn. And just as the kindly Marquis pointed out, apparently he was merely moving his unit to and fro without noticing the years passing by. I told him to switch it to 'wait at end of turn' and I believe this has solved his problem. Can't believe I didnt think to ask him that.

-FMK.