Old November 14, 2001, 23:12   #1
Grundel
Warlord

Local Time: 11:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A letter home
Dear Evangeline,

It has been too long since I have last seen your beautiful face.

We arrived in Japan a couple of weeks ago. Ah, you should see Japan, my love. Pine forest stretch as far as the eye can see, and the architecture of Satsuma is quite beautiful to behold.

When I first saw this beautiful port city, it was on the deck of our ship. For a moment I almost forget myself. I was no longer a soldier in the Greek army, but a child…an explorer coming upon some forbidden city of untold riches. Snow gently fell. It was magical.

The illusion soon passed when we landed. Although we had surprised the Japanese, they still fought bravely. Our commander back at battalion told us that the Japanese were nothing but an uncivilized, backward people. They supposedly had not mastered the art of firearms. It should have been an easy victory.

They fought hard, Evangeline. Nothing can prepare you for the horror of battle except for experiencing it. Their samurai charged into our flanks, screaming. We dropped them, row after row, and yet they still came. We won the day, of course, but we still lost many men. I knew some of them…

Satsuma, despite its beauty, was not very welcoming. Many people protested openly against us, and many others committed acts of terrorism. Protesters armed only with clubs and knives attacked one of our barracks. We quelled the resistance, but we had to kill many civilians.

An old man picked up a farming scythe, and ran at me. I tried to warn him. I tired…but I shot him. I still remember his eyes. The cold hatred. I did not understand his last words, but I understood their meaning.

I still struggle to understand why I am here, so far away form you in the cold land. They say that we have to secure the rare oil supplies found outside of Osaka. They tell us that the Japanese don’t even know what the oil is for. They say we need this resource to defend our land against our enemies. I say at what price. At what price do we need oil? I hope after the blood is spilled that they can justify the price that was paid for it.

Tomorrow, I march to Osaka. The 23rd Cavalry has already ‘liberated’ it. They still need reinforcements, however, from counterattacks. That is our job. We will Fortify Osaka while our fearless leaders hack out some plan to end this war. A war that we started. A war in which we back stabbed a gentle, and honorable people.

I do not know how long I will be here. I guess as long as the Japanese have resolve to fight. I am a soldier, Evangeline, and I will fight. The sooner we win, the sooner we will be back home. I will forever be scarred, but I pray that the warmth of your arms shall one day heal them.

I love you,

Dominick
Old November 15, 2001, 00:56   #2
Gatlin
Settler

Local Time: 16:49
Wow, what a great post.

Very stirring, with just a hint of discontent. I like it.

Carpe Diem
Old November 15, 2001, 16:02   #3
Grundel
Warlord

thank you Gatlin. This story is much better than the other crap that I dribbled out before (see barbarian wars and roman wars) , although IMHO not as good as some of Steve Clarks' stories, the news report, or the race to the Capital. those are top notch. But thank you kindly. You have encouraged me to not stop writing
Old November 15, 2001, 16:31   #4
Grundel
Warlord

Oh, btw...

HI HEATHER

Grundel = your boyfriend

Old December 14, 2001, 19:20   #5
SofaKing
Chieftain

I really like this one. Very well done.
Old December 16, 2001, 15:44   #6
wisecat
Chieftain

Really great!!!
I've read all your storie and I am waiting for more!!
BTW: Is this guy going to be court-martialled for unpatriotic feelings?