Old November 15, 2001, 01:14   #1
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 06:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Falling asleep while Multi-playing...
Let me explain this to you all,

My friends and I decided to get a multi-player game on (our first time) around 11:00 p.m. Well, we took a while to connect because our servers kept messing up. However, when we finally connected we were having a good time. I (as Hive) was trying to get my other friend (Santiago) to backstab my other friend (Morgan). Anyway, we both had rovers and scouts marching to my other friends territory when the game fell into 'Morgan's' hands. We all wondered what was taking so long and decided to disconnect after waiting 30 minutes.

it turns out he fell asleep at the comp!!!

My question to everyone is, has this ever happened to you?

Oh yeah, 'Santiago' and I were pretty pissed off....free creds ya know............
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old November 16, 2001, 12:30   #2
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 16:49
Well, I'm in a lot of MP email games, and I'm afraid they are all moving so slowly that I feel like I'm in a coma, so that's similar.

Indra
Old November 21, 2001, 04:59   #3
Basilisk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
email games are just far too slow! i've been in one for about a week and it's only 2110!!!
Old November 21, 2001, 09:30   #4
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 16:49
Congrats, thats pretty fast.
In my Manifold 7 game, we've been playing for 8 days and are in 2103.
Indra
Old November 21, 2001, 10:34   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 10:49
I was going to say as well that 10 turns in 7 days is pretty decent-- in most games with 4 or more players you are usually lucky to see a turn a day-- with 7 players it seems like every 3 days is the norm

. . . but there are fast players out there. In the sealurk alert game we are getting multiple turns a day since 2 of the players have routinely passed on the turn in less than 10 minutes and the other 2 (included me) take a little longer but still usually get it out in a few hours. If you want to start a fast game, you could scan through a few game threads and you can quickly get a sense of some of the fast players and perhaps invite them into a game. Personally, a turn a day for most of my games suits me -- as long as there are a few fast games as well
Old November 22, 2001, 07:05   #6
MariOne
King

Local Time: 18:49
Basilisk, in the last month I just come from ending (btw... winning, 1 Transcendence, 1 Supreme Leader, 1 opponents resigned) 3 7players pbems started at March-April 99 back at owo forums, and got in this time till year 2220-30!

OTOH in summer 99, with much time on my hands and being ablet to play from work (...then), I played a 3 players pbem with dedicated fellows, and we ended it in 57 days playing 152 turns (I and Mongoose lost against the mighty Pagan).
Old November 29, 2001, 05:08   #7
Basilisk
Chieftain

Hmm, judging from what you guys are saying, I might think twice before committing to another PBEM. We both jsut gave up BTW, as exams were on . But i'm looking into a TCP/IP game, then perhaps switching it to PBEM once the turns are unberably long.
Old November 29, 2001, 05:10   #8
Basilisk
Chieftain

BTW MariOne, in your bid for Supreme leader, did any of the Human opponents vote for you? My adversary (the only one of my friends who has the game and is willing to play) would be far too stubborn to ever vote for me!
Old December 1, 2001, 19:18   #9
MariOne
King

Basilisk, that was the "Mastor" game whose thread is here at Apolyton.
It was a game that had 4 faction with substitute players, two of which twice, so lots of turnaround problems, and even few months of stall and a miracle recovery...

I was in an early lead after gulping my neighbor PK who developed faster than everybody but thanks to avoiding to garrison his bases!

Univ, governor Gaia and Sparta were plotting against me, but Gaia let his marine invasion force being spotted and sunk, so Univ thought that he had better found himself better allies.
I thanked him, and didn't obstacle him in conquering all Gaian bases letting him become from 4th to second faction and even developing up to threaten my lead.

I had more difficulty with having reason of Sparta, lacking infiltration, but the sheer numbers of a PTS Hive, and a decisive flank attack from Univ finally allowed me to break the Colonel's resistance.
In all the meanwhile the Pope had not been able to get rid of the two last Morgan bases (I liberally supported my CEO Pactmate with all the latest techs, OTOH she was at the antipodes so that was all the support I could provide).
So seeing that I could handle the last Spartan survivors, the Provost directed all the power of his punch to the the Pope, leaving him with only one base in less than 3 turns.

As I would have needed 4-5 turns to wipe the Colonel, I offered him and the Pope to save their life if they accepted to not rebel to my SL, just to cut few turns shorter a game that lasted over 2.5 years.
The Colonel refused, but his honor suggested him to self-obliterate anyway... the Pope accepted.
I had 50% votes, Univ 45%, Morgan was allowed to share the victory too, the Pope could say that he survived although a loser.

PS: there were no AI factions in the game anyway.
Old December 1, 2001, 19:28   #10
JAMiAM
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
Quote:
Originally posted by MariOne
So seeing that I could handle the last Spartan survivors, the Provost directed all the power of his punch to the the Pope, leaving him with only one base in less than 3 turns.
Actually, I left the Pope with two bases...
Old December 1, 2001, 19:56   #11
MariOne
King

Well, you played the last turn after me in the round, and I did not get to see the final position... so you managed to halt your Doombusters in time heh?

Were my offhand report concise and fair enough, in your opinion?
Feel free to edit further, if you want

Something I grew the feel of, in these years, is that Apolytoners are far less inclined to share pbem victories than ACOLytes do.
So someone here might be asking himself why we accepted to win as Pactmates and didn't sort out the final glory in a duel, after wiping everybody else...
I've been more than happy to end that game that way, hope you did too...
Old December 1, 2001, 20:37   #12
JAMiAM
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
Quote:
Well, you played the last turn after me in the round, and I did not get to see the final position... so you managed to halt your Doombusters in time heh?
I did have some "Vote Counters" in place to make sure that there were no irregularities, or changes of heart...

Quote:
Were my offhand report concise and fair enough, in your opinion?
Feel free to edit further, if you want
Eminently fair, and unusually concise, my old, loquacious comrade.

Quote:
Something I grew the feel of, in these years, is that Apolytoners are far less inclined to share pbem victories than ACOLytes do.
So someone here might be asking himself why we accepted to win as Pactmates and didn't sort out the final glory in a duel, after wiping everybody else...
I've been more than happy to end that game that way, hope you did too...
In this game, coming in as I did, as a replacement player, and with all of the delays (a few caused by myself) I felt it best to expedite the ending of the game. Even if I did have to share victory with one of my most gifted competitors. I must admit that I generally do not like to share victory, but this time, it was called for.