Old January 22, 2001, 08:22   #1
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bonus Sounds
I actually figured this out a long time ago, but I didn't think it was all that interesting:
There are at least two sound files that work, but aren't present in Civ2. These are MKTPLACE.WAV and REVOLT.WAV (if I remember correctly).
The MKTPLACE.WAV serves as the sound for the Caravan unit (just like the Diesel sound for the Freight, when it establishes a trade route).
The REVOLT.WAV sound is played when you start a revolution.
Old January 22, 2001, 10:57   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
I just tested, I have MGE and there MKTPLACE.WAV is included and used from the begining.
But I also tested to use REVOLT.WAV and that sure gives some interesting possibilities.
Cool
Old January 22, 2001, 16:55   #3
Miner
Prince

Ditto here, mrktplce.wav in sounds folder but no revolt.wav. How on earth did you find this out?
Old January 22, 2001, 20:19   #4
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 16:14
Local Date: October 30, 2010
There is a pompcirc.wav that I don't recall hearing in the game.
Old January 23, 2001, 09:34   #5
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

the pompcirc.wav is unused while the revolt.waav is not included but still used by the program.
If you create a file called revolt.wav in your sound directory it will be used when you commit a revolution.
Old January 24, 2001, 07:49   #6
Mercator
Emperor

Miner: I don't mean the MRKTPLCE.WAV but the MKTPLACE.WAV, the mrktplce one, is a sound that is never used, although it sounds like it should have been used when a MarketPlace is built. The other one isn't in the sounds folder (at least not in mine, and I have FW).

The names of the sound files are all mentioned somewhere in the Civ2 executable. There are, however, much more names than there are actually in use. I thought there were at least a dozen more names, only the two I mentioned seemed to do anything.
Old January 24, 2001, 08:53   #7
Henrik
Emperor

Would you be able to give us all of the names?
We might be able to do some experimenting whit them...
Old January 24, 2001, 09:22   #8
Mercator
Emperor

I can't give it to you now (I'm not at home), but if you have a hexeditor it should be a piece of cake. Just open the executable and search for one of the wavefile names (without the extension).
Old January 24, 2001, 09:33   #9
Henrik
Emperor

Since I'm on a mac where there isn't a .exe file for the game (or any game) im not sure where to look.
I would appreicate if you published the list when you got home.
Old January 25, 2001, 15:13   #10
Mercator
Emperor

Here's the entire section of my FW civ2 executable that contains the sound file names:

AIRCOMBT AIRPLANE CHEERS CRWDBUGL AQUEDUCT BARRACKS BIGGUN BLDCITY BLDSPCSH BOATSINK CATAPULT CATHEDRL CAVALRY CHEERS CIVDISOR CHEERS CHEERS NEWGOVT CHEERS CRWDBUGL NEWGOVT NEWGOVT DIESEL DIVCRASH DIVEBOMB ELEPHANT ENGNSPUT CHEERS FIRE--- NEWGOVT CHEERS CHEERS HELICPTR HELISHOT INFANTRY LARGEXPL CHEERS CHEERS MCHNGUNS MEDEXPL MEDGUN MISSILE MKTPLACE NEWGOVT CHEERS CHEERS NAVBTTLE NEWBANK NEWONDER CHEERS NUKEXPLO CHEERS CHEERS CRWDBUGL CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS NEWGOVT REVOLT RIFLE CHEERS CHEERS CHEERS SMALLEXP SPYSOUND STKMARKT SUBMRINE CHEERS CHEERS SWORDFGT SWRDHORS TANKMOTR CHEERS TORPEDOS JETSPUTR JETCRASH JETBOMB JETPLANE JETCOMBT FANFARE1 FANFARE2 FANFARE3 FANFARE4 FANFARE5 FANFARE6 FANFARE7 FANFARE8 FEEDBK01 FEEDBK02 FEEDBK03 FEEDBK04 FEEDBK05 FEEDBK06 FEEDBK07 FEEDBK08 MOVPIECE ENDOTURN CUSTOM1 CUSTOM2 CUSTOM3 POS1 NEG1 MENUOK MENULOOP MENUEND BUY SELL GUILLOTN DRUMAL DRUMAY DRUMA0 DRUMAN DRUMBL DRUMBY DRUMB0 DRUMBN DRUMCL DRUMCY DRUMC0 DRUMCN LETTER EXTRA1 EXTRA2 EXTRA3 EXTRA4 EXTRA5 EXTRA6 EXTRA7 EXTRA8
Old January 25, 2001, 15:26   #11
Henrik
Emperor

Thanx!