Old January 15, 2001, 04:16   #1
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Colors
Help!
I'd like know exactly the technical datas in the Civ2 colors. 8 bits, 256 colors, what more? I've problems of compatibility, for example to import pictures with Photoshop and to convert it in gif or pict in civ2 compatible. It becomes pixellised too much or black or ugly. I'd like draw in a easy size with Painter or Photoshop or Graphic Converter and reduce it to import in civ2 compatible size and colors.
Thanks a lot.
Old January 15, 2001, 10:13   #2
Snog
Warlord

Gif,version 87a, non-interlaced, 8 bit (256 color), with color #255 being the transparent color, even though it really shouldn't be marked as transparent. It can be any color, and civ will replace it with the transparent color.

For many of the graphics, civ2 also accepts 8 bit .bmp files. Make sure you use the .bmp extension if it is one. The exceptions to this which I have found are title.gif and the graphics in the .dll files. There may be others.

-Snog
Old January 15, 2001, 11:22   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
You should open the (unit, city, icons, etc).gif in graphic converter and then paste the image into this, then you just save. This is the only way I am aware of, but it allways works. You can create something in photoshop and then copy/paste it into Graphic Converter. But since photoshop isn't using the special pallete of civ 2 you won't be able to save the .gif/pict in photoshop (since you are on a mac .BMP wont work for you).
Old January 15, 2001, 12:04   #4
CyberChrist
Warlord

You should all have a look at the article The Palette Explained which is just one of many excellent articles on the Scenario League site.

While we are talking about the palette, does anyone know how to 'release' the colors from 192 to 235 for public use? As far as I know Civ2 alters them all to black internally regardless of what they are set to in any of the GIFs, but it seems a waste - and a rather pointless waste at that.

Although I am only developing for ToT(which use mostly 16bit BMP) I still need to use the GIF color format for the graphics in the DLLs, as they are all using the GIF format - even in ToT

I don't mind if it requires hexediting or even patching of the CIV2.EXE or other files. As long as I can get access to these colors

[This message has been edited by CyberChrist (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old January 15, 2001, 17:48   #5
Snog
Warlord

Cyberchrist,

Have you ever tried changing the pallete in the gif files you imported into the .dll's? I didn't know you could edit any of the RGB values and have them stay, let alone the blacked out ones.

--Snog
Old January 15, 2001, 18:19   #6
CyberChrist
Warlord

Come to think of it - I haven't.

Always found the colors acceptable(kind of) and just wanted to add some more.

So are you saying that the entire GIF palette is in fact 'hardwired' and that no changes whatsoever can be made to it by the user? Or are you merely asking?
Old January 16, 2001, 06:26   #7
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Snog, CyberChrist, Henrik and other fellows,
I've downloaded some of the tips at The Scenario League.
But..on Photosoup I can get only gif's 89a unentrelaced and not 87a. So I bring off the Spartan Black Gruel nothing else. Suggestions?
Old January 16, 2001, 10:06   #8
Snog
Warlord

Yes, Cyberchrist, I am suggesting that the entire civ2 palette is hard-coded in the game, so that any changes to the palettes in the individual .gif files, including the ones in the .dll's shouldn't have any effect. The easy way to test this is to change one of the regular colors and see if the change sticks.

Mike.doc, I have the same problem you do, all of the programs I use save as gif ver. 89a, not 87a. I've asked around and so far the only program I know of that does this right is "Paint Shop pro". It's a 30 meg. download at www.jasc.com.

I just use .bmp files, and when I absolutely need a .gif file for civ2 (like title.gif, or something for the .dlls) I email them to Bebro

--Snog
Old January 16, 2001, 10:06   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

As I said: you can paint whatever you want in photoshop copy it and then paste it into the file using graphic converter (not photoshop).
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited January 16, 2001).]
Old January 16, 2001, 10:08   #10
Snog
Warlord

What graphics conversion utility do you use henrik?

Mike.doc, I forgot, you can't use .bmp files.

Old January 16, 2001, 10:10   #11
Henrik
Emperor

The program is called: Graphic Converter, but it's only for macs I think.
Old January 16, 2001, 14:46   #12
Henrik
Emperor

You aren't editing the .pict files directly are you, you have to edit it as a gif first and then save as a .pict, but since I think you are awere of this allready:
Send the shrinked version of the longhouses to me and I will try to do it, ok?
Old January 17, 2001, 01:25   #13
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Graphic Converter is only for Mac and Paint Shop Pro only for Windows (There is a God Full of Justice in the Heavens).
Thus what are we doing, Brothers?

I've made what Hendrik told, I guess.
1)Downloaded a .gif file, a longhouse, remember Snog?
2)Reduced and copy in 72 ppi, 256 colors 8 bits with GC
3)Pasted it into a cities.gif Civ2 grid, into a square, whitout having touch the green lines. And..And?

a pixellised city and all the other cities, grieving with a black background. Comments?
Old January 17, 2001, 04:02   #14
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Done
Old January 18, 2001, 05:07   #15
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Well Henrik, till now it seems your way is useful. Thanks Some adjustment still needing. I'tell you if necessary.
Old January 27, 2001, 09:25   #16
mindseye
King

Local Time: 08:14
quote:

You can create something in photoshop and then copy/paste it into Graphic Converter

You don't need Graphic Converter! Photoshop is perfectly capable of handling Civ2's color palettes on its own!

First, open one of Civ2's original graphics files and save the color palette:
Image > Mode > Color Table > Save

Use a name like "units.pal" because some of the gifs use different palettes.

Next go ahead and create your graphics as 24-bit RGB files. When you are ready to convert to .gif, do the following:

Image > Mode > Indexed Color > Palette > Custom > Load > (select palette file) > OK
In the Indexed Color dialog box make sure Dither is set to "None" and Color Matching is set to "Best".

Now save your file in .gif format and have fun!

- mindseye

------------------
Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2 - Latest version: 2.5
Old January 27, 2001, 11:53   #17
Henrik
Emperor

Ah, but then he is on a mac where things work a little differently (although you still could use photoshop I find graphic convertor easier). The Mac version of Civ 2 use the .pict instead of the .gif extension. And unless you do it as I described the pallete will be garbled (actually there is another way but it's much harder to do it that way).
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited January 27, 2001).]