Old November 15, 2001, 17:51   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Helicopters?
I like the new helicopter feature which allows insertions behind enemy lines with infantry, marines or paratroopers (should be able to carry arty). My problem with them are
1-they carry too little-its a fleet of chinooks for god's sake- I say carry 2 units, specially since copters are not that cheap.
2-in large worlds their range is not that good, but of course this could be said for many aircraft in large worlds.
This feature would work better, and the airwar in general (ONCE THE sam, AIR INTERCEPTION BUG IS FIXED and AIRPLANES ARE ALLOWED TO KILL!) if airbases were brought back, since it would be nice to build bases from which to launch airstrikes that don't cost much time or money to build, especilly far from the capitol that can't be swalloed culturally by the enemy (really, why fortresses but no airbases?)

So how is everyone else using their choppers?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 15, 2001, 22:17   #2
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 11:52
I'm not. They blow. Four squares? What a crock. You can't get out of my EMPIRE with four fricking squares.
Old November 15, 2001, 23:06   #3
Magician
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I agree. If helicopter can carry 2 units then it will be much useful..

Also I don't find a use for the strange cruise missile.
Old November 16, 2001, 01:00   #4
Zurai001
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:52
The helicopter would be much more useful if you could take it out into the field with you. As for Cruise Missiles, they have the higest Rate Of Fire in the game, and are the only bombard unit that CAN kill things. What's not to like? They're even cheap! I build tons of them before starting an invasion, and annihilate defense garrisons with them.
Old November 16, 2001, 01:26   #5
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Four squares? One unit cargo. This is just idiotic.

I don't know why the designer is so dead set against allowing any FUN in this game. Except perhaps he can't program the AI to do ANYTHING.

Multiplayer will really blow with these stupid rules.
Old November 16, 2001, 01:31   #6
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

IMHO, unit interaction is the GAME. The way this thing plays is just constipated. All for the goal of game balance, i.e., making the AI stand up to the human player. Goofy. Lame.
Old November 16, 2001, 09:19   #7
Growler
Settler

Paratroopers and helicopters
Paratroopers and helicopters have a best use for the airdrop/airtransport and that is the initial turn of an invasion. Hopefully you are able to build an airport in a city close to the front line of your enemy in order to maximise the penetration into the enemy territory.

A second best use is to ferry troops across a narrrow waterway or to an island when you don't have any or enough transports.
Old November 16, 2001, 14:52   #8
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:52
I also find that Paratroopers and helicopters are completly useless. Their range is so small that they cannot make it out of by broaders. Who the hell decided to make their range so small?!!!! Cruise Missiles are not ground units. You can put them into subs or craiers, whats up with that. The only thing you can use to transport them with is sea transports. This is not how the real Cruise Missiles work in real life. I also find that the range of bombers on large maps is not that very good etheir.

Air units, as they are now in Civ3 are really, really , really messed up. I dont know what the hell Firaxis did with these air units but they suck. I think the air units in Civ2 are much better then the air units in Civ3.
Old November 19, 2001, 18:33   #9
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:52
Helicopters should be able to land in flat terrain and on carriers, with a land movement value of at least 2 and capacity of 2.
Old November 19, 2001, 18:49   #10
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
IMHO, unit interaction is the GAME. The way this thing plays is just constipated. All for the goal of game balance, i.e., making the AI stand up to the human player. Goofy. Lame.
Well, its not like you had to pay for the game, its your mommy's money so why are you whining? OHH wait, you must be constipated

But if a helocopter has 1 unit hold and 4 move.... its a waste of time IMHO...
Old November 19, 2001, 21:04   #11
pchang
King

Local Time: 16:52
Range of air units should be proportional to map size.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old November 19, 2001, 23:25   #12
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:52
the air units' useage makes sense... but the only problem is that the interception doesn't work for human players. i've had many stealth bombers intercepted and it's annoying. anyway, in real like, you can't just use air units to conquer someone. ground troops are needed. air units are support units, that's all. they're long range artillery. this follows in the game...

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 20, 2001, 01:46   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:52
Chopper , hell I can not get enough time to mess with them before the game is over. I once made a carrier, but never got around to making planes for it. May reload a finished one to get a chance to try the new stuff. I have yet to get the last few techs researched. It sounds like choppers are not useful.
Old November 20, 2001, 16:14   #14
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 17:52
No need for swearing, guys. If you don't like the range, change it in the editor. That's what the editor is for. I changed cruise missiles to 6 range, and I use them frequently to stop AI invading my continent(s).

Fred