Old November 15, 2001, 17:55   #1
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mongol
For those willing to go on spending some time playing civ2, I inform you very solemnly that I have started the 'Mongol' scenario and will try to be in Kabul within a few days.
My French guidebook states that playing as the Franks is 'stimulating'. Therefore I am Frankie.
You are welcome to beat me reaching Kabul.
Old November 17, 2001, 11:54   #2
La Fayette
King

Take care, my friends!
The map is HUGE (about 200*100). The Franks start in London and Paris, and there are Chinese and Japanese objective cities to conquer... and the Turks in the middle are quite a tough nut to crack.
I have played 70 turns, about 50 turns left and about 3/4 of the map still black.
This is not a game for poor lonesome cowboys. Looooong lasting 4legged required.
(Julius, is this one of your maps?)
Old November 18, 2001, 13:50   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
So, as the Franks, you have to first conduct a Crusade against the Turks, just to get the opportunity to be crushed by the Mongols. In history, the Mongols crushed tu Turks on the way to Europe, so you should meet them soon. Good Luck!
Old November 18, 2001, 18:26   #4
La Fayette
King

Blaupanzer
History would probably have been respected much better if I had chosen to play as Mongols.
Playing as Franks the main 2 problems are beating the Turks and building lots of roads. The Mongols are very weak! (one city, namely Qaraqorum, is objective, and, when I came there, there was ONE defender inside, very strong defender by the way, so-called light cavalry, but still... didn't take me long to conquer the Mongols).
The Japanese are even weaker militarily: no defender at all in their fat cities. The problem is to get there. Starting from London, I might have sung 'it's a long way to Nagasaki'.
Turks and Chinese fight hard, but the Franks meet the Turks much sooner than the Chinese, so the Turks are the main military problem.
The rest is logistics, and I am quite sure that my result can be beaten with careful choice and early building of the main road London -Beijing.
Anyway I conquered the 44th and last objective city (namely Hanoi) in 1314.

(La Fayette, with quite a yellow face, back from the far east)
Old November 26, 2001, 14:04   #5
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 10:52
LaFayette, I began playing when you started this thread, but I suspect we have different versions! Key differences I note from your posts:

1) I have no settler unit! This means no road building or settling. There is no road across the asian mountains, so that will slow progress.

2) I have 45 (was 46) objectives listed, and the score window shows at least 52 needed for victory. Are your 44 the result of a few razings?

This reminds me of Independence without a diplomat... Regardless, I'm having a go. In 1260, I seem to have one advantage that you apparently did not enjoy - the Chinese love me! They have traded world maps with the Franks. Only India remains shrouded in darkness.

The Turkish nut has been cracked - they remain only in the shadows of India. My bad guys are on their way to mete out punishment for not being Frankish. I've wiped out the Byzantines and Egyptians - even tho their last cities weren't objectives, I captured them. That may cost me several turns in the end, but no more than 5... The Chinese eliminated the Mongols by about 1240, so I've no need to worry about their light cavalry. I squandered too much time in russia, hopefully that won't set me back too far. I'll post as I ssllooowwwly progress.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old November 26, 2001, 14:12   #6
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
Hmm, no settler unit AND no way to build one? That doesn't sound right.
Old November 26, 2001, 19:15   #7
La Fayette
King

Marquis
1) Objectives
I just checked: there are 47 objectives in the early game (in my game) and there were 44 left when I conquered the last one. The other 3 must have been destroyed during fights between AI civs.
2) Settlers
This is really surprising (and I can't imagine how you could finish this game early without roads: I had LOTS of settlers building roads in the end game). My version is the so-called UCC with a patch that SG(1) sent me when we started the Rome PBEM.
Old November 27, 2001, 12:28   #8
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaupanzer
Hmm, no settler unit AND no way to build one? That doesn't sound right.
Indeed, it is fishy... I'll have to check the version at home tonite. There are other problems with the scenario. I browsed the rules.txt, and found units with an obsoletion tech that is a prerequisite for its availability tech! The number of objectives matches my game, tho.

In any case, the Turkish nut has been chewed and swallowed. It turns out they only had one city left - easy pickings! The Chinese don't like me anymore. They sneak attacked! I've sacked four cities, but the countryside is swarming with chinese cannons and knights. It looks to be a bloody war. My reinforcements are flowing in along the rivers, but I think I may be outgunned...

intelligence to few.
Old December 10, 2001, 14:26   #9
Marquis de Sodaq
King

bump/update
The roadless Franks continue to push into China. It's around 1285, and three more cities have been captured. The foolish Chinese offered a cease-fire after I sacked the capitol (but the gov't escaped ), giving me time to move in more cannon.

With fewer than 30 years to beat La Fayette's score, it looks daunting. However, if I can break the Chinese in the next game decade, it may be in reach... The Frankish coffers are not fat enough to go on a bribing spree, but there may be enough to mop up after I finally eliminate their palace.

(the Frankish soldiers move on...)

intelligence to few.
Old December 10, 2001, 23:07   #10
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Aha! Aho! Ky-oto! Franks now control the entirety of eurasia - Total conquest in 1302. I almost had the whole world explored, too, but not quite. The dastardly Japanese held me off for a turn longer than expected, as they sank my caravel full of cannon as I approached. I'd hoped I could sack Kyoto with a unit built in London. Alas, it was not to be. No matter, the next ship brought an end to their silly dreams of independence.

The Chinese, it turned out, were already broken. Their remaining cities fell like dominoes. I actually lost more attackers to the barbarian horde that sprung up along my train of bad guys.

intelligence to few.
Old December 11, 2001, 19:34   #11
La Fayette
King

Marquis
did you really managed this without settlers?

...AMAZING
Old December 12, 2001, 01:29   #12
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Yes, without settlers! There was a road as far as Samarkand, and some in China. The rivers proved useful enough to move units across the great expanses.

intelligence to few.
Old December 15, 2001, 18:32   #13
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:52
Congratulations
Can this scenario be downloaded in the Apolyton downloads or in the CSC?
Old December 22, 2001, 08:10   #14
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
This scenario goes with the game in the so-called 'Conflicts in Civilization' (CIC) series. I know nothing about downloading possibilities.
Old December 22, 2001, 11:04   #15
moi
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:52
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Congratulations
not legally.
Old December 23, 2001, 08:23   #16
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
Well done, I remember that scenario was pretty rare of cities, so winning it without founding new or at least improving old ones was more than hard, unless you were playing Mongols.