Old November 15, 2001, 20:13   #1
wakamoto
Settler

Local Time: 10:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How to control pollution and global warming
My terrain is keep changing into desert. I wonder if anybody know how to control the pollution effectively.?

Here is what I have tried. I made all of my citizens not to work but in the cityview interface there was still 2 pollution icons which meant generating pollution right?

Pollution generally, based on what I read is generated by number of population and number of shield generated from that city.

but if the city and its citizen is not producing anything should it be Zero pollution ?? but it doesn't

Try it and see if what I said is right.

So when population get bigger, no matter if your city is producing 2 sheilds every turn, you will still be generating 2 polutions Icons at least.

I have built every pollution reduction improvements in the city but the pollution is still out of control...

Also, if I am the only one to take care the world and the computer or AI didn't clean up their pollution and keep generating a lot of pollution, Global warming is gonna happen anyway. All my terrain will change into desert

The point is, user doesn't have a lot of control over pollution. You can only decrease pollution to certain point but never make it disappear.

Would it be nice if we can make a pollution control deal with other civilization as well? Say, you can only generate this much of pollutan each turn to prevent global warming to happen.

Any input??
Old November 15, 2001, 20:17   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:53
have you seen a case where ai pollution causes global warming in your cities? I'm not sure if this is the case. I can usually control my own pollution (I only had 2 grassland go into plains in my last game). I'm not sure if ai pollution contributes.
Old November 15, 2001, 20:22   #3
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 11:53
Well, I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the global warming. My empire produced about 1 pollution every three turns, but with the horde of workers i had, it was always gone by the end of the turn.

But yet I watched as key grasslands turned to plains, sending babylon into starvation.

and rather needed plains switched to desert. And there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done.
Old November 15, 2001, 20:26   #4
Setsuna
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
Well, I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to the global warming.
Just like real life!
Old November 15, 2001, 20:50   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

but we haven't actually lost any grasslands...yet

I would rather have rising oceans than stupid plains turning into desert. Civ2 was terrible at this as well. Global warming doesn't cause drought!!

I think in SMAC they had it where the oceans rose. That was way cool. This is a more realisitc model. But there is no elevation in civ3 so that is not possible.
Old November 15, 2001, 20:55   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Wakamoto,
This ain't Civ2 where you could effectively eliminate pollution if you wanted to.
You can get plenty of pollution without factories or production, just from the people. Put it into the same bag as corruption -- sometimes it's going to be a lot of trouble.

Or you could conquer the world, razing cities as you go.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 16, 2001, 00:20   #7
Peterk
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:53
I've found that 4 workers can zap pollution on the turn that appears, making it a non-issue as long as you have railroads to get them there quickly. Every now and then there is a more serious orange blob that takes 7 workers to clear.

Keep doing the improvements but keep a supply of workers around to zap it right away.
Old November 16, 2001, 01:20   #8
wakamoto
Settler

I See...

Thanks For comments

Just people alone already makes a lot of pollution. That's not so good, right?
Old November 16, 2001, 03:49   #9
Trachmyr
Warlord

Yes AI pollution will cause YOUR tiles to change.

Time to clear pollution is based on terrain type... Hills/Forest take 50% longer, Mountains take 2x longer.

After your city exceeds 12 population, it will produce 2 pollution no matter what structures you build.

Pollution comes from 2 sources... buildings (i.e., Factory = 2, Iron Works =3, etc.) and population (1 per pop over 12, IIRC). It has nothing to do with shields produced. Build a mass transit and you reduce population pollution to 2, build a recycling center and it removes ALL building pollution.

This is from my observations, and it's possible I'm mistaken on some of the fine details.

Hope this helps...
Old November 16, 2001, 03:59   #10
Shiva
Prince

Also larger populations causes far more pollution then lager production. I have had size 12 cities with production in the 90s cause only two pollution points where a size 20 city with a production of 40 or so produce 10 or more pollution points.

I really think the "global warming" in the game is way over stated and the AI is far to slow at cleaning his pollution up. One thing it seems to me is global warming always shows up on my squares but not the AI's. Must be another of those things the AI can get away with that we cant.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.