Old November 16, 2001, 03:13   #1
georage
Settler

Local Time: 16:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI - Artificial Ineptitude
I keep reading posts on how the AI in Civ3 is "good" or "better." I think it is laughable. You can beat every enemy on every skill level in basically the same way!

All you have to do is:

1) go to the enemy territory with a few decent units (about 4-5 archers work great early) and fortify yourself on a mountain. The enemy exhausts himself by foolishly attacking in the exact same fashion over and over and over. When he runs out of gas the cities are easy pickings.

2) use a faster unit (horseman) to hunt down villagers/workers/crush new cities/destroy improvements.

3) when they sue for peace abuse them without mercy.

You win!
Old November 16, 2001, 03:22   #2
Bubba_B
Warlord

Local Time: 11:54
Yes AI can be predictable but you sound pretty predictable too

All I can tell you is try different styles of game play. I like to mix up my play styles and I get varied results.
In other words play stoopid
Old November 16, 2001, 03:32   #3
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:54
Re: AI - Artificial Ineptitude
Quote:
Originally posted by georage
I keep reading posts on how the AI in Civ3 is "good" or "better." I think it is laughable. You can beat every enemy on every skill level in basically the same way!
Wow, and your point is? Maybe you can show me an AI that you cant find some sort of trick that it cant deal with. People may say games have "AI" but in reality none of them have ever had anything close to real thought. Until they do you'll always be able to find some way of raping the computer. Get over it.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 16, 2001, 03:36   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 09:54
I admit the ai sucks.

but I rarely have the ai throw units at my units fortified on mountains.

but they will go for those workers. Consequently I use them as bait. I don't have to worry about losing them, I can just take them back. If the ai lands near a weakly defended city, I use the workers at bait to stall the ai a turn. Of course this only works if the ai has only a couple of units near your city.

also I sometimes I will run jaguar warriors deep into enemy territory and watch the ai pull most of its swordsman off the front lines to chase it. My jag warrior died for a good cause