Old November 16, 2001, 18:26   #1
ToD.MB
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
An unexpected moan . . .
Stunned . . .

It's a superb game, Civ 2 with bells on and a worthy sucessor to the original Civ. Love the animation, combat, trade, diplomacy, etc. . .

Stunned . . .

But can it be - that the world maps it ships with, in addition to being only half accurate (there's not even a G.B. on the small one!) - also DOESN'T HAVE THE CIVS IN THE CORRECT STARTING PLACES!?

Mmm - I really want to play an Earth map where London is in Iraq and the British 'Empire' is in the Middle East, and the U.S.A. is in southern Africa! What's the point?

And you can't even set the 'player start positions' on the editor, (unless I've not found a way yet).

Surely the whole point of an Earth Map is that you can sort of replicate real history to an extent, and then 'bend' it in interesting ways. But since when was the idea of China in Canada/Alaska (like on my game) interesting? You might as well play on a random world. I'm not saying those aren't good, but when I play on an Earth Map I want London in G.B., Washington on the eastern seaboard of North America, Delhi in the middle of northern India, etc. etc.

I may be wrong - there may be a way in which to choose on the Huge Earth Map where each Civ will start! I hope so! Can anyone help me on this? It's my only complaint - but it's a big one!
Old November 16, 2001, 18:35   #2
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 17:57
I'm sorry to say that you are right...
Old November 16, 2001, 18:44   #3
ToD.MB
Chieftain

. . . Well . . .
. . . Check that a sec . . .

I've just discovered, literally seconds after logging off Apolyton, that you CAN change player start locations, but you don't seem to be able to choose the Civ you want to start there.

Again . . . what use is that? O.K., you've got a Civ staring in S.E. Engalnd, one in northern France, one at Chesapeake Bay, one between two rivers in Iraq, but unless those Civs are the British, French, Americans and Babylonians, what's the point?

Who wants to have the Zulus in Russia with 'Moscow' as Zimbabwe, or the French in central America with 'Paris' as Tenochtitlan or whatever you want to call it, Mexico City or whatever? It's no more real that a random Earth starting point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sid, and Development Team,

This is a poor ommission, especially as the rest of the game is almost beyond criticism.

Is this likely to be fixed with a patch? As long as I can choose start locations for individual Civs, I'll make an Earh Map myself if I have to! But is this in the pipeline, and why was it ommitted? Surely a lot of Civ fans are knowledgeable in history (and that's why they play it) - so why has this crazy ommission come about?

(Don't get me wrong - the game is superb - but why this bizarre let-down?)

Hope you monitor these sites, by the way.

ToD.MB
Old November 16, 2001, 19:45   #4
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 02:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This ridiculous oversight was enough to turn my nose.

Bkeela.
Old November 17, 2001, 08:58   #5
ToD.MB
Chieftain

And mine!

And I can't beleive that the Apolyton community has nothing to say about the matter, while whingeing about comparatively trivial things! This is a major problem!

Anyone know how I can get in touch with Infrogrames to explain why?