Old February 8, 2001, 14:06   #1
tmarcl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:14
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Cities
I just downloaded a scenario that was excellently done (new units, terrain, etc) and obviously had a great deal of effort put into it. You start out from the beginning and build up your empire just like in normal Civ II, but for some reason, none of the cities have default names. This wouldn't be a problem, if it was just the human player who had to name his/her cities, but even the AI have cities with no names.

I had assumed that this was because the author hadn't included a city.txt file, but when I put in the basic one, the cities remained unnamed. I looked at his rules.txt and couldn't find anything that was *that* different from the original-at least nothing that would prevent access to city.txt. Admittedly, I've got only limited knowledge so far, so I may have missed something. Is there any way that I can fix this so the city.txt file can do its job?

If it helps, here's the specs:

The modpack included the following files
Cities.gif
Icons.gif
People.gif
Terrain1.gif
Terrain2.gif
Units.gif
Game.txt
Labels.txt
Pedia.txt
Rules.txt

It also included a readme.txt, but that had no information regarding the city bug. I'll make a wild assumption and say that the .gifs don't matter-they seem to be working fine as is. The only significant difference (other than renaming troops and city structures) in the rules.txt was the renaming of the civilizations, but other than that, nothing. Game.txt and label.txt weren't majorly modified either, but again, in all three cases, I may have missed something.

Ordinarily, I'd just delete the scenario and move on, but this was so well done that I'd like the opportunity to play it.

Thanks for your help,

Marc
Old February 8, 2001, 14:52   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have no idea at the moment why they have no names, but would you give us a link to the scenario, so that we download it and can look into the files?
Old February 8, 2001, 14:56   #3
Albert B
Warlord

Are the civ names customized in rules.txt? If the creator changed the names of the civs under the @LEADER section of rules.txt, but did not change the the civ names in city.txt, then the program cannot match up the city names. If the civ names are the same in both files then I am not sure why this would happen.

Good Luck,

Albert B
Old February 8, 2001, 17:39   #4
tmarcl
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 02-08-2001 01:52 PM
I have no idea at the moment why they have no names, but would you give us a link to the scenario, so that we download it and can look into the files?

The download site is Apolyton, and it doesn't give a more detailed address than http://apolyton.net/civ2/

The name of the scenario is Magical History by G R Fullman-Hall.

Marc
Old February 8, 2001, 17:42   #5
tmarcl
Warlord

[quote]Originally posted by Albert B on 02-08-2001 01:56 PM
Are the civ names customized in rules.txt? If the creator changed the names of the civs under the @LEADER section of rules.txt, but did not change the the civ names in city.txt, then the program cannot match up the city names. If the civ names are the same in both files then I am not sure why this would happen.

The civ names are customized, but there was no city.txt attachment. I put a copy of my city.txt with the altered civ names in with it to see what would happen-still no luck.
Old February 8, 2001, 20:02   #6
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 00:14
Another possibility is that more cities were created than exist in the city.txt file. The creator may have built so many cities (and presumably destroyed many along the way) that there are no longer any names to choose from.
Old February 17, 2001, 21:50   #7
Masis
Warlord

HELP!

ADVICE ON HOW TO EDIT THE CITIES GIF IN CIV II URGENTLY NEEDED-I WANT TO REPLACE THE AIRBASE GIF WITH A VILLAGE GIF I DOWNLOADED--->MAKING CLASSICAL-MEDIEVAL SCENARIOS AND THIS WILL MAKE AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO THEM--> E-MAIL ME AT Khatchik@cwcom.net FOR THE SCENARIOS TO DOWNLOAD FOR PLAY+REVIEW.
Old February 17, 2001, 21:53   #8
Masis
Warlord

HELP!

ADVICE ON HOW TO EDIT THE CITIES GIF IN CIV II URGENTLY NEEDED-I WANT TO REPLACE THE AIRBASE GIF WITH A VILLAGE GIF I DOWNLOADED--->MAKING CLASSICAL-MEDIEVAL SCENARIOS AND THIS WILL MAKE AN EXCELLENT ADDITION TO THEM--> E-MAIL ME AT Khatchik@cwcom.net FOR THE SCENARIOS TO DOWNLOAD FOR PLAY+REVIEW.

------------------
MRP