Old November 17, 2001, 03:06   #1
IamChinese
Settler

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
History Repeats Itself -- My first CivIII game
Hi,

I just wanna share this little story regarding my first CivIII game.

I was playing China on a standard random map, and I have two neighbours, the French and the German. Everything went smoothly until in the middle of the 14th century A.D. A group of Japanese approached one of my frontier town and sneak attacked me. Well, I must admit I was a bit careless of not fortifying my frontier town, but I was counting on my friendly neigbours to guard their own border. How the Japanese went pass the French was anyone's guess.

As the result of the sneak attack, my frontier town, Macau, was razed to rubble, and the barbaric Japanese force (no offence to the Japanese forumers) kept pressing. Although I was the most advance civ in the game (My government type is Democracy), my military was crap. But I managed to produced five Musketmen and a trio of cavalry. Trying to slow down the Japanese agression, I emptied most of my nearest towns to defend my second frontier town. Then the nightmare started to begin. I saw my musketmen and pikemen slaughtered by a group of Japanese swordmen and longbowmen. I thought that was impossible since my units were all stationed in the mountain range. But believe me, these Japs were really good. It wasn't until I sent my cavalry to deal with those treaherous sneakers that I finally be able to defeat the invaders.

Since I was really upset by this indecent invasion, I hurried produced three frigates and a couple of galleon to transport my three cavalry to take out one of the Jap's towns. Unfortunately, just when I finished razing a Jap's city, my citizens began to revolt (because my government type is democratic, although it didn't happen to U.S.). So I decided to talk to the Jap. Now here was the funny bit. When I proposed a peace treaty, Tokugawa said:

"We don't deal with TERRORISTS!"

Can you believe they actually said that? It was they who started the war. It was they who razed my city. And they called me terrorist.

As a result, I had no choice but to keep fighting the Japanese.
In addition, I had to switch to communism in order to keep my citizens happy.

So, the moral behind this story is:
When you are fighting terrorist (or aggressive nations) Democracy DOESN'T work!

Note: This is just a little story for fun. If you don't find it funny, too bad. If you find it boring, well, it was you who chose to read it at the first place, so don't blame me.

Last edited by IamChinese; November 18, 2001 at 19:08.
Old November 18, 2001, 18:58   #2
IamChinese
Settler

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
History Repeats Itself -- Part II -- World War I & II

... continued

After a long conflict with the Japanese, we decided to sign a peace treaty, so that the world became a peaceful place again for long period of time. But as it is in the real world, war is always hiding in the shadow, waiting to surface when chances present themselves.

By the early 1900s, I have already possessed five great fleets, which each contained a couple of carriers, five destroyers, two battleships, and three subs. I stationed these fleets near those aggressive civs, namely the Japanese, the Russians, the English, and the Germans. So far, my relation with these nations were a little bit stressed due to the fact that I have always denied their request for technologies and gold. But I wasn't really concerned, because I was way more superior in all areas at that time.

Then came the Bat Signal!

Germany was invaded by the Japanese (again!). Since we have signed a mutual protection pact (MPP), I had to declare war against the Japanese. Although I was a bit reluctant to comply, there was no alternatives. But here came the problem; what I didn't realize was that the Japanese had signed a MPP with Russia, which in turns had signed a MPP with France. So, when I carpet bombed the capital city of Japan, the Russians declared war on me. This chain reaction kept going until me and the Germans were actually fighting all other nations in the world.

Although I tried to make peace with some nations, they would declare war against me as soon as their MPP with the nations I was attacking triggered again. Therefore the conflict dragged on until the Japanese switched side and attacked the French. Why they did that was not my concerns, all I knew was that I was the right time to end this conflict. I made peace with the French and some other nations, and redirected all my fleets to carpet bombed Japan. Since most of my ground troops were stationed in my own country and some other newly occupied lands, I didn't have enough extra forces to land on the Japanese soil. Therefore, the bombing kept going.

By then, I had already built the Manhattan Project, and nuke had become a new option to end the war. However, I really didn't want to use nuclear weapon. So, I had no choice but to hurried produce an army of tanks and marines and send them to occupy Kyoto, the capital city of Japan.

In 1953, the Japanese has signed a peace treaty with me, and the World War has finally ended.

The wisdom in this story:
1. Consider carefully before you sign a mutual protection pact with other countries.
2. Carpet bombing your enemies dosn't work, you really got to send in your ground troops.

Last edited by IamChinese; November 18, 2001 at 19:11.