Old November 17, 2001, 05:21   #1
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Communism -The ultimate war machine!
I wanted to take over the world but corruption seemed to stop me cold. But I think I finially figured out how. Communism!

At first I thought it would even out corruption...it didnt. Cities far from the Palace only received one shield even with a Courthouse (Ill call them TC towns -Total Corruption). But then I realized..who cares about shields. Communism TC cities need one thing and one thing only...FOOD!

Normally I rarely irigate anything except Wheat, Cattle and Flood Plains in the early game, but not so for Communism TC towns. Irigate the best few tiles for food and throw down some Railroad when you can for even more food. It is not necessary to work much more than 5-6 tiles, you wont be letting the town get any bigger.

First thing I rush build is a Granary if it needs one (captured cities seem to have no buildings other than a Barrracks sometimes). Very improtant for keeping the population up. Then I make a Temple for limited culture and to keep them from remembering me using them as slave labor. After than its all war toys. Currently for me thats Cavalry, Rifleman and Cannons.
You can sell Markets, Banks, Courthouses, Police Stations or anything else that does make people happy or produce culture. Even those you can sell, who needs the upkeep. Four Military Police, Temple and a few luxaries should keep a size 6 city happy and culture is for wussy Democracies!

Each decent food producing town can make a pop a turn. Rushing a Calvary usually kills off 3 pop, that means 1 Cav every 3 turns. Can your goody two-shoe size 6 Democratic city do that?

Also you can draft 1-2 conscripts each turn for 1 pop each. Use these to police your towns that are away from the front line.
Any time a TC city needs an entertainer do a draft or rush job. Dont want a bunch of mimes eating up valuable breeder food!

Note: A certain core group of cities near your palace will have tolerable corruption. Run those as normal cities using your normal strategy. You will rely on those for making Wonders, tech research, money and Factory type cities.

If you want to try this from the outset I suggest definitely getting getting Sun Tzu's Art of War and maybe Leonardo's Workshop.
I also let all TC towns use the Governor to monitor Moods. That way you dont have to check them each turn cause they grow fast and youll have alot of them! Unforuntely telling the Governor to emphasize food doesnt help so you ahve to keep an eye on them. Even at TC then think using a mine on the hill is a good idea sometimes. Maybe I should pillage those.....

Good luck Comrade!

Ghengis Thom

Last edited by Ghengis Thom; November 17, 2001 at 10:46.
Old November 17, 2001, 09:32   #2
sgrig
Warlord

Re: Communism -The ultimate war machine!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghengis Thom

Normally I rarely irigate anything except Wheat, Cattle and Flood Plainsin the early game, but not so for Communism TC towns. Irigate the best few tiles for food and throw down some Railroad when you can for even more food
Does building railroads really increase food production? I thought railways only increase shields production!
Old November 17, 2001, 09:48   #3
Beau
Settler

It prduces 1 extra food on all squares that only produce food. If a square produces shields it produces one extra shield I believe.

Its either that or the railroad produces 1 extra food/shield depending on what the square produces the most of. If its shields it produces more shields if its food it produces more food.
Old November 17, 2001, 10:06   #4
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 17:58
Does this strategy actually work at the higher difficulty levels (Emperor+)?

It seems to me your TC Town citizens will become outrageously unhappy and very likely to revert... taking your 4 MP with them.
Old November 17, 2001, 10:31   #5
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Difficulty
Railroads give you more food if you Irigated and more Shields if you mined. IE helps the industry thats there. I assume it does nothing on a tile that has neither.

I normally play Emperor (play, not necessarily win). In this particular case Im playign the Tourny game MarkG put up, Regent.
But this differs by only 1 content person. Emp gets 1 and Regent gets 2 so I dont see it as a big factor. Keep the city at pop 5 instead of 6. Heck the city only needs to reach size 4 for this to work.

And again, Sun-Tzu's is a must. That way every city you capture can turn out Veteran rush jobs. Keep a city always building the Forbidden Palace switch it to new Wonders that come along. If the Palace will finish before you get a tech with a Wonder you want try trading for it hard or slow down the production as much as you can in that city and/or raise the tech rate.

Ghengis Thom
Old November 17, 2001, 10:38   #6
Ghengis Thom
Chieftain

Reverting
Legacy - Oh and as far as reverting, you have to play an early game before you get to Communism. Temples are one of the first things I build in Emperor depending if Im near the border. I will even slay a person in small town to get it out quick. The temple offsets the unhappiness from rushing it in the first place. Even in Emp level my civ's culture has been higher than those around me because of these early Temples.

After Ive run out of room for good expansion I even will put a city right next to an enemy city that is next to something I want (Iron). I rush a Temple and in under 10 turns the Iron is mine (the border pushes right up against the enemy town). The AI never seems to rush Temples or is just slowly building a Granary *shrug*.

Ghengis Thom

Last edited by Ghengis Thom; November 17, 2001 at 11:50.
Old November 17, 2001, 11:45   #7
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 17:58
Hm maybe that will work then.

I do think you would need to be Religious to boost that culture thing. I've been playing quite culturally oriented, but in the early game some opponents usually get ahead, despite me building temples and libraries etc. Maybe part of which is due to their quick sprawling of cities (some of them have more cities than me) and also due to their wonder-snatching, which I haven't really been able to offset entirely.