Old November 17, 2001, 06:44   #1
Fancy Salami
Settler

Local Time: 17:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why can't you upgrade to your civ-specific unit?
Short take:
I was France and had just researched gunpowder - Viva le Musketeer!!

But all my obsolete military units could not be upgraded to the musketeer, just the stupid pikeman, although I could build new Musketeers....

Points in mind:
- I DID have access to salpheter, although it was by trade.
- I DID have a barracks in the cities that I tried to upgrade in.
- I DID have the money for the upgrade (at least I think I did, since I had around 200+)
- The problem persisted for many a turn (well, needless to say with the arrival of new technologies, that made the Musketeer obsolete, the problem faded away).

What made me both so sad and angry was that this made me wish I had the regular gunpowder unit (whos name escapes me) instead of my civ-specific unit!

That can't be right!!

If there is something I am missing, somebody please tell me!! If not, PATCH!!!
Once upon a time there lived in Berlin, Germany, a man called Albinus. He was rich, respectable, happy; one day he abandoned his wife for the sake of a youthful mistress; he loved, was not loved; and his life ended in disaster.
This is the whole story and we might have left it at that had there not been profit and pleasure in the telling, and although there is plenty of space on a gravestone to contain, bound in moss, the abridged version of a mans life, detail is always welcome.
-Nabokov-
Old November 17, 2001, 10:08   #2
conquistadore
Settler

Local Time: 00:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fret not, you did nothing wrong. Unique units can only be built, and not upgraded from something else. I had the same problem when i was playing rome..my warriors cant be upgraded to the legion and i cant build swordsman...what a waste.

Anyway, if you find this rule sucks as much as i find it, just change it with the civ-edit.
Old November 17, 2001, 10:23   #3
jbird
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Warriors ---> Swordsmen---->Nothin'

Archers--->Bowmen----->Nothin'

Spearmen can be upgraded all the way up to mechanized infantry.

This is one thing that I don't quite understand. A guy with a spear? Sure, he can drive a Bradley, but that guy with a sword, well, he just likes his sword.

*shrugs*

Jbird