Old January 9, 2001, 03:51   #1
CyberChrist
Warlord

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
TOT: Corrections/update to info on 'advances slots'
Following is a list of corrections to erroneous assumptions in the
document about the effect of 'advances slots' in TOT.

DEMOCRACY
Democracy(the advance) is NOT needed for a democratic government to gain 1 happy citizen in each city with a Courthouse.

ELECTRONICS
Electronics DOES have an effect on the appearence of cities and people in Test of Time.
Only once both Automobile AND Electronics have been discovered, will the look of cities and people change to the modern style (just like it always did)

EXPLOSIVES
Explosives does NOT inherantly allow transformation orders or display the "Tranformation now possible" message.
The ability to transform is determined by the unit type and/or the Engineer capabilities flag.
When the first unit with engineer capability becomes available the message will be shown.

FUNDAMENTALISM
Fundamentalism(the advance) does NOT inherantly allow Fanatics(unit slot 9) to be build.
Only nations with Fundamentalism(the goverment) can build the Fanatics unit(unit slot 9) - once the advance making the Fanatics(unit slot 9) available has been discovered.

INVENTION & PHILOSOPHY
I assume that this is a typo in the document but,
both Invention AND Philosophy must be discovered before the look of the people change into the Renaissance look.
(Invention alone DOES change the city look though, go figure)

Following are some updates to the information in the
document about the effect of 'advances slots' in TOT

POLLUTION
Once either Automobile, Industrialization, Mass Production or Plastics have been discovered all cities will start to produce pollution based on the size of the city (population based pollution).
Automobile, Industrialization, Mass Production and Plastics all increase the pollution output of each city with an amount equal to 25% of population of each individual city.
However, the first of these advances(any one of them) will increase pollution with an amount equal to 50% of population of each individual city.
Environmentalism reduce the pollution output (caused by CITIZENS) of each city with an amount equal to 25% of the population of each individual city.
Any city with the Mass Transit improvement will NOT be affected with more or less pollution by having or not having Automobile, Industrialization, Mass Production, Plastics or Environmentalism.

Further info on pollution[*]Pollution is also increased by 1 for each resource shield 'produced' in the city.[*]The pollution that each city produce does NOT show(and doesn't start causing trouble) before the amount of pollution goes beyond 20.[*]Hydro Plant(or Hoover Dam) and Nuclear Plant both reduce industrial pollution by 50%

[This message has been edited by CyberChrist (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old January 11, 2001, 19:29   #2
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 00:14
quote:

Originally posted by William Keenan on 01-11-2001 12:20 PM
Thanks for your feedback, CyberChrist. It’s nice to know that people actually read the papers I’ve written.

I found your paper invaluable and I credited your work in my recent "Scenario Tech Tree"!

CyberChrist-

Great stuff. Thanks!

Old January 12, 2001, 01:20   #3
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 19:14
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Thanks for your feedback, CyberChrist. It’s nice to know that people actually read the papers I’ve written.

If your observations involving Automobile, Electronics, Invention, and Philosophy are correct then the guide will certainly require correction.

On the other topics the omissions that you note are purposeful. When writing this guide I planned to follow it up with a guide to improvement slots and another guide for unit slots. Therefore, I felt, and still do, that an in-depth discussion about the exact functions of the courthouse improvement or fanatic unit slot are outside the scope of this paper, and that a general reference would suffice.

I am in the twilight days of my Civing career, so it is very unlikely I will ever get around to writing those papers.

It’s clear that you have the knowledge, exacting precision, and the ability to articulate to be able write similar guides. I encourage you to do so. There is so much undocumented knowledge in the civ world, it would be a shame to lose it.
Old February 18, 2001, 09:57   #4
William Keenan
Prince

The ToT advance slot properties paper has been updated. You can find it at the Cradle of Civilization.

Thanks again CyberChrist.
Old February 22, 2001, 05:10   #5
CyberChrist
Warlord

Thanks, I do try

I have recently discovered another piece of info that you might want to include in the paper.

RADIO and AIRLIFT
Radio not only allow Settlers/Engineers to build Airstrips but is also REQUIRED to make the Airlift command appear in the Orders menu. You will still be able do airlifts without Radio though (go figure).

EDIT:
Oh and while we are on that topic then the message about Airlifts and Airstrips will be displayed whenever Airports become available and NOT when Radio is invented (again...go figure).

[This message has been edited by CyberChrist (edited February 22, 2001).]
Old February 22, 2001, 06:12   #6
CyberChrist
Warlord

Ok, I have even more to add

REFRIGIRATION
City squares are double irrigated from the start, but it will only show that if the city has farmland right next to it - and it will of course only grant the 50% food bonus once the city has a Supermarket (but Refrigiration is not needed for this to take effect)
Old February 22, 2001, 09:15   #7
William Keenan
Prince

That's great information, I'll add those in.