Old November 20, 2001, 11:39   #61
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot

Zizka has a really good point guys! We don't want to use our time of play to get frustrated! We want the game to amuse us! Of course fighting for resources is fun and challenging, but think of that game where the Aztecs had all the oil in the map (4, right?).
If you're playing a MP game, and an opponent gets all the Oil, can you figure out what's going to happen?

1. the holding civ will extort all other civs until...
2. all other civs unite against the civ that has the oil...
3. since that "holy" war was engaged, that civ will definitely be destroyed

Now, who wants to be this "fortunate"?
Your forgeting an option. The civ with the oil can buy off a few civs w/ oil so it would be many vs. 1. Why go to war if you can get your oil plus some other goodies for protection?
Old November 20, 2001, 12:14   #62
Zealot
King

Local Time: 17:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Frito
Your forgeting an option. The civ with the oil can buy off a few civs w/ oil so it would be many vs. 1. Why go to war if you can get your oil plus some other goodies for protection?
Frito, Frito, tsk, tsk.
You're being so naive!

Once you give oil for 20 turns to anyone, they will rush units which need oil to be built! And once they have enough units, they will strike those cities wich are in control of the oil! They don't need to pay anything else! So, since you have all the oil and begin charging for your black gold, you're always making enemies! Because oil doesn't become obsolete, there will always be wars about it!

And trustworthy allies are really hard to find in MP games!
Old November 20, 2001, 12:55   #63
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:59
There are only so many units you can build in 20 turns too. Besides it will be hard to go against the oil civ because he knows he's a target and SHOULD have a nice oil rich army ready. I mainly play single player games so your right I'm not a vet at mutiplayer civ...I'm trying to image what I'd try to do if i had all the oil. Maybe I'd build a bunch a terrorists...or not
Old November 20, 2001, 15:06   #64
MrB
Settler

Local Time: 16:59
Oil buy that for a dollar!
I'd just like to agree with everyone who says oil and strategic resources in general are a good thing. It makes the latter stages of Civ much more interesting IMO.

I just had a really fun game where I had no oil, rubber or coal. The English had coal somewhere and oil & rubber in nearby cities so I traded with them for coal, luckily I had furs to do this.

With the coal I quickly built a railway system throughout my empire then went to war for that oil and rubber.

It was a hard fight, they were one of the strongest Civs, but using loads of cavalry and riflemen to capture the required cities and then quickly produced bombers and infantry I managed to force them into peace talks while quickly consolidating the new gains. All this was possible because of the railways built with English coal ironically enough.

I think strategic resources are great, even better than culture for adding interest and challenge to the latter stages of the game. Civ 1 & 2 seem like boring expand quickly at the start and you're fine games in comparison.

If you're p'ed off about the lack of oil or something then adapt your play style and remember how many wars have been fought in recent history over this resource (even Afghanistan some people believe).

I'd be very annoyed if Civ 3 was dumbed down with a patch to remove this feature simply to keep people who seem to want just Civ 2 with nicer graphics happy.

Don't mean to flame anyone here, I just think some people should play a few times and think a little before demanding changes to the game.
Old November 20, 2001, 15:15   #65
Zizka
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:59
"Don't mean to flame anyone here, I just think some people should play a few times and think a little before demanding changes to the game."

Some people like their soup hot, some cold. Don't assume your way of eating soup is is the best way or the only way or that becaus eyou enjoy soup everyone else has to.
Some people should think a few minutes before making flames.
Old November 20, 2001, 15:27   #66
MrB
Settler

Local Time: 16:59
War... HUH... what is it good for? Err... oil?
Now come on!

I think people have already mentioned how you can edit the game if you *really* hate resource requirements that much.

Think why they were put in though, it wasn't to annoy people. They were put in I'd imagine 'cos the designers felt the game got too boring in the modern age when every Civ was pretty strong and games consisted of chipping away at each other or racing for the scientific victory.

Resources make everything more interesting IMO, especially diplomacy, and war becomes more than just capturing yet another town for churning out units.

Have to say though, if you think I was flaming you there personally then you've never been flamed!