Old November 17, 2001, 16:58   #1
StonedGoat
Settler

Local Time: 16:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can someone PLEASE explain to me...
Heh. Subject vauge enough for ya?

Anyway, can someone explain to me WHY Firaxis decided to do away with firepower? Huh? HUH? What was thier rationale? Who was the brain genius at Firaxis who said "Hey, you know what I was thinking? You know the combat system in Civ II? You know, the revamped balanced one that we made after everybody complained about the combat system in Civ I? Yeah, let's go ahead and and scrap that in favor of the old crappy Civ I system that made everybody pull their hair out."

The manual states: "Combat has been improved so the concept of firepower is no longer necessary." Improved? Explain how! You mean the "invention" of hitpoints? Dosen't seem to help at all. Well, it IS better than Civ I, but it's not NEARLY as good as CIV II, IMHO. It's still pretty all or nothing. I have 5 archers ready to attack a town with a single fortifed hoplite in it. All 5 of them attack in one turn. Now, I understand that the hoplite has a defense of 3 as compared to the archer's attack of 2, and I also understand that the 50% fortified bonus makes it 4.5, and that rounded up the defense is 5. But STILL! FIVE! FIVE ARCHERS! ONE HOPLITE! And they ALL DIE. You know how much damage I did to the hoplite? Ironically, NEGATIVE ONE. While I did do one point of damage, the hoplite got two battlefield promotions during the assaults, so he actually GAINED health. And, as I'm sure you realize, my fine fellow-civers, stuff like this isn't a rare occourance. The Civ 2 combat system never left me feeling cheated like this. Oh, I'd lose 3 or 4 archers, but I could be quite sure the phlanx(sp?) would take at least a little damage from each archer until it eventually died. As it is now, I'm praying to God that my 3 archers can graze that hoplite.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Civ III, I'm just puzzled as to why Firaxis thought it would be wise to take a step BACK.

--SG

Last edited by StonedGoat; November 17, 2001 at 17:07.
Old November 17, 2001, 17:04   #2
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
Musta seemed like a good idea to them at the time. Thats as close as I can figure
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 17, 2001, 17:08   #3
Setsuna
Warlord

Local Time: 11:59
The people who knew better went bye-bye.