Old November 20, 2001, 01:41   #31
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Using horses as a strategic resource would be better if also available were camels, elephants or other war adaptable beasts.

I think that the resources available should control your strategy as well as your opponents - but at the moment there are haves and have nots. I would prefer haves and have something else.

This line of thinking can be adapted to other strategic resources.

(this is from the top of my head and not from research)

Coal - Shale
Oil - Natural Gas
Aluminium - Titanium
Iron - Copper

These can give slightly different units, even weaker ones. More complex I admit but that is what I like.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:49   #32
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think that might me overkill and could take the focus off the core principals of the game. I think it would be better if they just added an option that could turn off resources and resource requirements.
Old November 20, 2001, 02:03   #33
YC4B4U
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Frito
I think that might me overkill and could take the focus off the core principals of the game. I think it would be better if they just added an option that could turn off resources and resource requirements.

I recently conquered a city with access to saltpeter - the amount of excitment I received from this event was quite extradinary. Now I could build all those great units I had researched. Finding out I had oil and rubber in my borders was another great event - it made me a world power again!

I think the idea of stategic resources is great and is one of the core principles of the game that could be expanded.

That's my two bobs worth.
Old November 20, 2001, 02:22   #34
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 18:00
I've said it before and I'll say it again...modern horses originated in the New World...migrated to the Old world...the New World population died out...no horse when Cortes appeared in the Aztec lands -poor Monty.

The Iroquois civ is a cultural HASH in civ3 and should be in...the plains indians or the iroquois aren't a civilisation by civ terms...the Spanish, Vikings or Ottomon would have been SO much better.

Especially in the context of a real world map and historic civ positions http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...&threadid=9842 where it ain't great if European civs trying to colonise America meet full-fledge civs.

A mod I'm going to have is one where there are no N.American civs but a hell of alot of barbarians there More appropriate and then the horsies there don't matter so much.
Old November 20, 2001, 02:26   #35
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:00
Don't get me wrong I think its a great Idea too...I just thought that could be a solution for the other people who don't like it. Beside theres no harm in having more options
Old November 20, 2001, 02:51   #36
YC4B4U
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Frito
Don't get me wrong I think its a great Idea too...I just thought that could be a solution for the other people who don't like it. Beside theres no harm in having more options
Aye Aye Captain Distinction noted.
Old November 20, 2001, 04:22   #37
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:00
well Germans shouldn't have panzers then. Because they did not invent the automobile

without american and french ingenuity the germans would be blitzkrieging with calvary . OK that is stretching it, but you get my point.