Old November 17, 2001, 23:06   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unique City Structures
So, every civ has a unique unit. How about unique city structures? Introducing them to the game would make sense historically and add some more diversity, civilization-wise. I don't think adding a second Unique Unit would be that great, because there is a good possibility of making the game less balanced, military-wise. But that is to be discussed in this thread. What I was thinking about is adding city structures that would be something like "Extra Small Wonders". Only one of the civilization will be able to build them, but the one that can do that will be able to build them in every city. Unique City Structures would add some benefits to the cities. For each civilization they (structures) could also become available at different time periods. The list of structures / benefits / time periods could look something like this:
  • Rome - Forum / Commerce+ or Corruption- / Early in the game
  • Greece - Theatre / Culture+ / Early in the game
  • Germany - Castle / defense+ / Middle Ages
  • Egypt - Brewery(?) / acts as another luxury resource in the city / Early in the game
  • Russia - Kremlin / defense+ / Middle Ages
  • Britain - Stonehenge / science+ / Early in the game
  • etc...
Of course, there could be a lot of debate about which buildings should on the list / what benefits they should give. But that is not the point here. The point is the idea itself. Will the introduction of UCT's be interesting / improve the game / **insert other good things here**, or not? I think that if they are introduced, they should add benefits that the civ does not yet have. For example, if a civ is militaristic and religious, it's unique building should add more scientific output to their cities, etc... Of course, they should not act for the whole duration of the game, but become obsolete with certain breakthroughs. For example, Germany's castles would not be effective any more after the invention of Motorized transportation, maybe earlier, but you get the point. So that pretty much sums up my idea...
Spore page
Old November 19, 2001, 19:55   #2
PMLF
Warlord

Local Time: 17:00
Good idea.
Old November 19, 2001, 21:22   #3
mharmless
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:00
This could be a Good Thing (TM), however I'm not at all certain it can be done. No precident for one-civ buildings already, may be beyond the ability of our mod makers.
Old November 20, 2001, 08:06   #4
Martinus
Prince

Local Time: 18:00
The idea is good, but I propose yet another variation of it (notice that it is not mutually exclusive with this one).

Some time ago when the Small Wonders concept was announced, I thought the Small Wonders' names would be different for different civ. Alas it didn't happen

What I propose now is to change generic Small Wonders into Civ-specific small wonders.

So, instead of Heroic Epic for everyone, let the Indians build "Ramayana", Greeks build "Illiad" and Romans build "Eneid".

Instead of Forbidden Palace, let the Russians build Winter Palace, the English build Viceroy Palace, and leave Chinese with the original name.

Instead of Intelligence Agency, let the Russians build KGB, Americans build CIA and Hebrews (if they make it to Exp Pack) build Mossad.

I think it would add a lot of fun to the game and should not be difficult to implement (just change names of Small Wonders and make more of them - only civ specific).
Old November 22, 2001, 05:21   #5
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 11:00
Thinking about unique structures...wouldn't they all have to become avaliable early in the game, or at least at the same period? If one got the advantage before another, they would grow quicker in the earlier stages of the game, and while they will also help if they appear later for another civ, could it possibly not have as much of an impact? Thoughts?
Old November 22, 2001, 05:34   #6
Martinus
Prince

Local Time: 18:00
Small corrections.

I have checked the editor and there seems to be no possibility to make the structures unique based on civilisation (you can base them on the government etc., but not on a civ).

So unless someone hacks the editor to allow this, the point is moot
Old November 22, 2001, 13:40   #7
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well I think it is pretty well reflected by wonders.

I don't think it is always better to put more. More different units. More techs. More buildings. More civs. More etc. In some cases puting something is a bad idea and makes so that we lose what makes the game good instead of opposit.

And this doesn't seem very more realist or representative of something.