Old November 17, 2001, 23:57   #1
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 03:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
2 Things I Noticed Playing A Demo
Friday I played a demo of Civ III running in a computer retail store. It took me only 5 minutes or so to realise that Civ III is not for me, and would be shelved within a few games, but I did notice 2 things:

1. The resolution looks fine on a 15" monitor. I think the monitor I played on might have even been 14".

2. The saving-reloading strategy seems to have been squashed. For example, I saved, then proceeded into a goodie hut and recieved a gift tech. I then reloaded the game to see if I would recieve the same result. I did. Tried this over a dozen times with the exact same result.

This means that it is no longer possible to abuse the random gift generation of Civ II and Smac. I would guess that battle outcomes are no longer random either.

Bkeela.
Old November 18, 2001, 00:41   #2
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: 2 Things I Noticed Playing A Demo
Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela

2. The saving-reloading strategy seems to have been squashed. For example, I saved, then proceeded into a goodie hut and recieved a gift tech. I then reloaded the game to see if I would recieve the same result. I did. Tried this over a dozen times with the exact same result.
Big deal so it's a little more challenging don't see what the problem is.

Quote:
This means that it is no longer possible to abuse the random gift generation of Civ II and Smac. I would guess that battle outcomes are no longer random either.

Bkeela.
How can you make that deduction? I don't see the logic in that.
What's so bad about not being able to "abuse" this feature anyway. That's what Civ players have been demanding of Firaxis: close the loopholes (i.e. ICS).

It seems as though people are finding anything about Civ3 they can to beatch about! It's time to give it a rest.
Old November 18, 2001, 00:59   #3
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 11:00
Hmmmmmm, these are your big gripes? Hehehe, I'm laughing my ass off over here. You'd think you would have much larger gripes against the game.
Old November 18, 2001, 01:11   #4
Bkeela
King

Quote:
Hmmmmmm, these are your big gripes? Hehehe, I'm laughing my ass off over here. You'd think you would have much larger gripes against the game.
Um, they arn't gripes, just neutral observations. I thought someone might be interested in confirming whether random battle outcomes is true or not.

Bkeela.
Old November 18, 2001, 01:25   #5
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 11:00
So what your saying is there is no free will?
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old November 18, 2001, 02:26   #6
Bkeela
King

Exactly!
Old November 18, 2001, 03:29   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:00
The 'random seed' is saved with the game, so if you do things in the same order, the same outcome will occur each and every time. If you do things in a different order (ie: attack first and then explore the hut) or wait one turn, a different result will occur.