Old November 17, 2001, 23:59   #1
sunshine
Settler

Local Time: 11:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Losing a game because of too much tech :(
It was the year 550BC, and my iroquis mounted warriors rode out of their homeland in search of glory, treasure, and forbidden knowledge. The horde, 83 strong and growing, should have been enough to ensure absolute domination- even on a huge deity pangea map. At least, unless their general was profoundly incompetent.

I first rode against the French. Fortified only with spearmen and swordsmen, I expected no difficulties- and indeed, recieved few, at least during the initial assault. Three turns into the war I had plundered 6 cities and captured something like 15 workers, who began building roads back to my empire for the reinforcements to use.

Soon I approached Paris. Immediately before sacking that city I destroyed the two size 12 cities nearest it, and was, upon taking the capital, proud to be the new owner of The Great Library. A magnificent treasure, which bestowed upon me great boons- no less than a dozen technologies, including Republic, Feudalism and Chivalry.

Wonderful news, right? Unfortunately this proved devastating, since with Chivalry I could no longer build my valiant Mounted Warriors! Due to the joys of corruption I could not build knights in more than a few cities, and the cities I could build them in took dozens of turns, whereas in my irrigated flood plain I was booming out mw's every other turn... knights cost 3 citizens each under despot, which made it impossible for me to continue the war.

I then tried to fix this by severing my supply of iron. However, it was more complicated than that- it seems I was trading with the Chinese for Iron, which meant that there was no way I could stop the flow. In order to win the first war I then had to start a second war in order to go backwards in technology. Possibly the first time that has ever been contemplated... at least by me.

Anyway this led to a war with the Egyptians as well, after a turn or so, when I learned that "The Chinese and Egyptians have signed a pact against us"...

And then I got conquered. It is a very memorable experience, watching the cities you worked for two days to build and expand slowly turn yellow, purple, and blue. Truly devastating to the morale of the typical American male, I tell you. Especially when the 19 units that were in Paris when it reverted to the French THE NEXT FSCKING TURN were no longer available for me (and the city was freshly garrisoned with the only Pikeman the French bothered building).

(fireaxis, PLEASE give me the option of designing my own units... or at least picking which ones are displayed in the build screen- sometimes a 1/1/1 is the perfect solution for a problem... and that's why I play civ...)

sunshine
And the only listeners left, now, are the rats and the lizards. -Carl Sandburg, on civilization
Old November 18, 2001, 00:22   #2
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:00
ouch...

Don't know what else to say, though -- I'm not sure Units should never be obsolete, as then you'd still be seeing warriors in the 1900s, but I know what you mean -- sometimes you just want to build a slightly-out-of-date unit... I somehow doubt, though, that after making a design decision to not put it in, Firaxis is going to turn around and give us a SMAC style unit-workshop, no matter how cool it would be...

-- adaMada
Old November 18, 2001, 16:01   #3
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:00
As Babs, my bowman stuck around as a production choice long after obsolescence, all the way to Cav and Infantry. Then I had a Golden Age. Poof, no more choice of bowman. As special units, the uniques can trigger a golden age. Thus, I suspect you can build them until until you have one. Both of you are right about needing a good cheap unit for garrison duty in the later ages.
Old November 18, 2001, 16:44   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:00
The Unpleasantries of Civilization
The biggest problem with Civilization III is that it is NOT an easy win! I am not criticizing sunshine.

I have recently been dragged into a world war and guess who's without rubber. It's a war (late industrial) that I am going to have to be inventive to get out of, because it's been going on way too long for a democracy ( people).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 18, 2001, 19:42   #5
Enigma
Prince

Local Time: 17:00
Those MW's seem pretty sexy... if only the Iroquis had better bonuses I would play with them (expansionist- UGH)

Conquering seems the way to go on Diety, the AI bonuses are too big otherwise.
Old November 19, 2001, 05:04   #6
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 09:00
Quote:
The biggest problem with Civilization III is that it is NOT an easy win!
I sincerely doubt most people would want Civ3 to be "an easy win". That would suck.
Old November 19, 2001, 06:49   #7
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 18:00
LOL @ being overrun in your homeland while having 83 Mounted Warriors!

I've lost only a few border towns when I waged wars so far. Nothing I didn't retake in a few turns, and nothing compared by the massive razing I like to conduct.

Ah yes I play at Emperor currently.
Old November 19, 2001, 09:03   #8
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 12:00
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Re: Losing a game because of too much tech :(
Quote:
Originally posted by sunshine
I then tried to fix this by severing my supply of iron. However, it was more complicated than that- it seems I was trading with the Chinese for Iron, which meant that there was no way I could stop the flow. In order to win the first war I then had to start a second war in order to go backwards in technology. Possibly the first time that has ever been contemplated... at least by me.
You don't have to start a war to stop trading. Just contact the Chinese, select the Active button at the bottom of the screen, and cancel the trading.