Old November 18, 2001, 13:21   #1
drake
King

Local Time: 13:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thursday Night Builders Guild
On thursday, Rasputin, Prometheus and I started a "builders" game from the shambles of hotw.

It shall be an ever evolving game, but the emphasis shall be on peace and civilization development. There will be no declared "winner" (though one may naturally develop) as there is no determination for victory. We will play until 2020, with the only objective to be that we shall continue only if the game remains fun for all of us.

Roster:

Sioux - Drake
Roman - Prometheus
Mad Monks - Rasputin

In one session we got up to 480 AD.
The following wonders were built:

Pyramids - Roman
Collossus - Roman
Marco Polos - Roman
Michaelangelos - Roman
Leonardos - Roman
Bach's - Roman

Great Library - Sioux
Adam Smith's - Sioux

Hanging Gardens - Mad Monks

Current city/unit counts:

Roman - 25, 26
Mad Monks - 14, 20
Sioux - 37, 20
Old November 18, 2001, 20:04   #2
GNGSpam
Warlord

Local Time: 17:01
Temple, marketplace, aquadect, bank

OH FUN

why play with other people if all your going to do is repetative city builds?
Old November 18, 2001, 22:32   #3
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GNGSpam
Temple, marketplace, aquadect, bank

OH FUN
No libraries?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old November 19, 2001, 00:34   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 03:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well I had fun, It made or a relaxing time after the HOTW2 shambles... Besides, war might be involved , especially with those dame Romans buidling all the wonders for themselves !!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 19, 2001, 09:05   #5
drake
King

Yeah, you forgot the libraries dumbass

Don't criticize the game chris. You're in no position.

It should be a lot of fun.
Old November 19, 2001, 09:10   #6
drake
King

Quote:
Well I had fun, It made or a relaxing time after the HOTW2 shambles... Besides, war might be involved , especially with those dame Romans buidling all the wonders for themselves !!!
Of course war is a possibility. I don't think any of us said that war isn't allowed or that it should never happen. But is it the emphasis? Naw. I think we all had enough war at the end of hotw. No we're just looking for something a little slower paced and different. Don't see whats wrong with that.

Chris thinks that building is boring, I think that war in civ2 is for the most part boring. It's a difference of opinion. No biggie.

Quote:
why play with other people if all your going to do is repetative city builds?
"Repetitive city builds" is the foundation of what civilization is. A civ will never succeed without fundamental things for its cities (as you listed). Thats what happens in every game, whether it be against the AI or another human.
Old November 19, 2001, 10:21   #7
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 12:01
Current city/unit counts:

Roman - 25, 26
Mad Monks - 14, 20
Sioux - 37, 20

Good thing you've deemphasized war. With unit to city ratios like that, none of these civs would last 20 minutes in one of our games.

This was not meant to make fun of this game. Just an observation that I couldn't pass up seeing the 37,20.

Different strokes for different folks. As long as you're having fun.

RAH
Old November 19, 2001, 10:22   #8
Prometheus
Warlord

Local Time: 11:01
Hey, don’t pick on me; I am not the one with 37 cities…and an entire continent to themselves. Go invade Drake, he will be stronger than both of us soon.
Old November 19, 2001, 10:35   #9
drake
King

Quote:
Hey, don’t pick on me; I am not the one with 37 cities…and an entire continent to themselves. Go invade Drake, he will be stronger than both of us soon.
Yeah, you boys might have to soon...otherwise I'm gonna be too powerful for you to do anything about it

(Happy wonders? We don't need no stinkin' happy wonders!)

Rah - the other two civs are on a seperate continent and most of my un-defended cities are at the center of my empire. I have the resources to rush build defenders (and offenders if necessary), if I had reason to be suspicious of the other two, so even if one of them got aggressive (at this stage), I think I would have the ability to fend off just about any attack. (If I keep this sort of arrogant talk up, I'm sure I will find out if this is true )

If I was playing with a bunch of blood thirsty bastards, obviously I would be playing differently yes
Old November 19, 2001, 11:10   #10
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 12:01

Yes, our group would really qualify as "a bunch of blood thirsty bastards."

But contrary to popular opinion, we do build civs, and not just war.

RAH
Old November 21, 2001, 09:32   #11
drake
King

Continue on the 29th
And raz on the morning of the 30th....

Sound good pro? Raz?

I want to be able to continue to enforce my superiority on you!
Old November 21, 2001, 10:26   #12
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

so no game this week ??? why not ???

wasnt jsut your inner citys undefended, you had you coastal undefended too. I knew i set the barb level too low!!!!
Old November 21, 2001, 11:07   #13
drake
King

hehe, i did say "most" raz

And yes there are exceptions to that statement as yes, there are some vulnerable cities that are not in the center of the empire.

You could have taken them raz. It's not like you couldve kept them though (without a significant invasion force). I have some un-defended cities, but the ability to populate them with warriors very quickly. Despite my low unit count, my empire fears no invasions! If the Monks or the Romans think otherwise, then perhaps they might have to test the mighty sioux!!!

And yes, I do think the barbs shoulda been raging (even though they've killed several of my units so far)

We can't play this week because tommorow is thanksgiving day here in the US

I'm going up to Maine for the holiday and I would imagine Pro would be going home from school to celebrate the holiday as well.
Old November 21, 2001, 11:59   #14
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
We can't play this week because tommorow is thanksgiving day here in the US

I'm going up to Maine for the holiday and I would imagine Pro would be going home from school to celebrate the holiday as well.
Damn Yanky Holidays !!!!! Whats thanksgiving for anyway ???
Old November 21, 2001, 12:27   #15
drake
King

Its a holiday to give thanks (as the title implies), to everything that is good in ones life and to enjoy it with a large meal, usually with family.

It has other more historical meanings (dating back to the days of pilgrims and indians and the settling of the new world). however, as with Christmas, these historical reasons are usually not why people in this day and age celebrate the holiday.
Old November 21, 2001, 15:57   #16
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

probalby less about giving thanks as in having lots of food and booze !!!! just like Christmas
Old November 22, 2001, 00:42   #17
CommandoAndy
Chieftain

And football too. GO PACK!!!
Old November 23, 2001, 05:10   #18
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Oh my God!
Drake!

HOTW2 was NOT a 'shambles', it was a bloody great game!

And your cosy parameters for a game here are unbelievable. You in the recovery ward or something

But seriously I think you have a very confined idea of what real civing is all about - diplo or otherwise...
Old November 23, 2001, 10:07   #19
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:01
In honor of Deity's "Oh My God!"; YIPES!
Yipes!

Drake, a building game is fine, as long as you don't consider this a Diplogame.

If anything this is an abomination of a Diplogame, much like the Taliban is an abomination of Islam...

Actually that's a really good comparison.

But whatever floats your boat, I just hope a few of you guys are ready for HOTW3 which is well in the works and has a HUGE pool of interested parties.

Drake, Raz and Prom put this thing to waste and come back to the dark side!

And Prom, you have so much potential, at least play some more hardcore diplogames before going into THIS!

One Love.
Old November 23, 2001, 11:00   #20
drake
King

Quote:
HOTW2 was NOT a 'shambles', it was a bloody great game
It WAS a great game yes, btu now it is in shambles. Abandoned. No one showed up! I mean yeah, there may have been excuses and all, but the simple fact of the matter is, we wanted to have a good time. A fun game. And HOTW was not fun at the end. Too long of turns, too many arguments, too many problems. No ones fault, but the game is over. No one is denying it, so whats the harm of calling the game in shambles??? It is!

Quote:
And your cosy parameters for a game here are unbelievable. You in the recovery ward or something

But seriously I think you have a very confined idea of what real civing is all about - diplo or otherwise...
Cosy parameters? What cosy parameters? We decided we wanted to play a game a little differently than a normal game. Is that ok Deity? You point the finger at me, but this is what Pro and Raz wanted as well. They were sick of the mindless and very boring combat at the end of hotw and were looking for a little down time from it. It was refreshing to be able to just play a game. It was a lot of fun. So please stick your judgemental opinions where the sun doesnt shine.

I have a very confined idea of what real civving is about Deity? Civving is to every person a different thing. Because it doesnt fit into your mold doesnt mean it isn't "right". I can't believe you said that even. I played hotw the way it was supposed to be played. Out of every player in the game, I was the only one to show every week and post every week. I didn't post when it was convenient for me (Judge #1 - Deity). I didnt show up when it was convenient for me (Judge #2 - Capo).

Seriously, you two need to get off that high hourse of yours. It's disgusting. Telling me what civving is and isnt. You say diplo game is the way to play but in the end, neither of you played the game by the way you preach.

Quote:
If anything this is an abomination of a Diplogame, much like the Taliban is an abomination of Islam...
An abomination of a diplogame is writing great stories but never showing up. Capo talks the talk, but never walks the walk. One has to both play the game and post consistently. I did both.

This is as much a diplo game as any, it is just being played in a diifferent mold. There is no such thing as a "perfect" diplo game capo. Just becauise the all mighty diplogod capo says it isnt a diplo game don't mean sh1t to me. I have done as much or more for the genre. And I will continue to do so.

Know why more people dont't play diplo games capo? Because of your high and mighty, arrogant bs. You talk of the game as if its the second coming of christ and then you only show half of teh time, never bothering to find a sub or anything. You not showing up help to ruin the game in a very real sense. How is one supposed to diplomatically interact with europe when its being run by the AI? It can't! For a diplo game to really work it needs more consistent leadership. Period. And capo, you have never filled that bill. (remember hotw1?)

Quote:
Drake, Raz and Prom put this thing to waste and come back to the dark side!

And Prom, you have so much potential, at least play some more hardcore diplogames before going into THIS!
What is THIS? Some harmless fun? We're going to have a good time capo. Right now I don't even know if I want to play hotw. Not with this crap you and deity are pulling.

Capo driving away people.....hmm sounds familiar.
Old November 23, 2001, 21:31   #21
deity
Emperor

Drake! I WAS JOKING!!!
I'm sorry... my sense of humour got the better of me

You are a fine player and may the Sun shine on your glorious empire! As long as you know where the Sun comes from it's fine by me
Old November 23, 2001, 21:40   #22
deity
Emperor

Actually drako....
I just read your post again.

You protesteth TOO much!

I think you are feeling a biy guilty about HOTW2.

It was only when you quit the game that we hit big trouble and by the time you realised you had made a mistake in quitting it was too late In the end only you and I wanted to continue but the others had become casualties in the intervening weeks. So, if it was a shambles...... guess who?

BTW - How much FUN was suas and Epik having in the Mon Dipolo game?? Like when you took out their capitals and destroyed spacesahips and the planet got ruined???

The point is not all players can be having equal amounts of fun at the same point in the game.

I took out 13 of your cities at one precise point in the game and you suddenly say it's no more fun for you???

I dunno, sorry Prom and Raz but I really think drake needs to be shaken out of his comfort zone
Old November 24, 2001, 19:26   #23
drake
King

Quote:
BTW - How much FUN was suas and Epik having in the Mon Dipolo game?? Like when you took out their capitals and destroyed spacesahips and the planet got ruined???
It wasnt fun. Thats why we graciously called the game at that point.

It wasn't just I who wasn't having fun. Trust me.

Quote:
I dunno, sorry Prom and Raz but I really think drake needs to be shaken out of his comfort zone
In this game? Pah. No ones gonna touch the Sioux. Certainly not the monks or the romans

Different strokes for different folks deity. I only reacted the way i did because of your judgemental capo-like arrogance. We cool. It's just if we play again, Drakey wakey ain't gonna play so nice and naive
Old November 25, 2001, 05:02   #24
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

hey leave our game alone, this is my fav style!! i would rather build my citys than have to conquer the world. the best aspect of civ3 is th ecultural victory, if only i could stop the damn Taliban influenced AI getting jeslous and destroying my civ !!!!

But back to this game, I cant paly this week due to work commitments so next week is looking good !!
Old November 26, 2001, 08:55   #25
drake
King

You can't play this week on your friday morning? Well how about Thursday morning? If Pro can play then it's fine with me!
Old November 26, 2001, 11:44   #26
Prometheus
Warlord

I can do it Tuesday Night/Wed Morning, but Thursday morning does not work for me.
Old November 26, 2001, 11:50   #27
drake
King

I think tuesday is ok with me. Lets see if raz can do it first. If he can, more than likely I can swing it.

So Pro, whats your response to deity and capos criticism? Is there something wrong with this game of ours or the way we want to play it?
Old November 26, 2001, 12:13   #28
Prometheus
Warlord

Heh, it’s a game, we can play it any damn way we want… Personally I don’t bother to debate such issues. I think that you people just like to make issues out of nothing, its Civ for God’s sake, not exactly the most important thing in the world.

As far as I am concerned, we could call it the ultimate way to play Civ and it wouldn’t matter to me. But dear god the amount of people who would post here saying “No it’s not” the us responding with “ yes it is” and so on….

It is all a matter of preference on how you want to play the game, and I am just playing to play, I wanted a flexible game seeing as how I don’t know my schedule for the upcoming year and don’t want to make a long term commitment, this game will be over relatively fast and if I drop it, I doubt it will be that big of a deal to you and Raz so my thinking is that you shouldn’t even bother to reply to them, there is no need to debate the “right” way to play civ, because there is none, as long as you have fun.
Old November 26, 2001, 12:22   #29
drake
King

Quote:
there is no need to debate the “right” way to play civ, because there is none, as long as you have fun.
*applaudes prometheus*

Truer words have not been spoken
Old November 27, 2001, 14:04   #30
drake
King

Ok, well I wrote to raz and asked him, but no response so far. I will show up tonight, and hope to see you guys there! Sitting Bull is getting restless