Old November 18, 2001, 18:03   #1
JT3
Prince

Local Time: 12:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Something people here could try....
Hey, I've noticed that a lot of people in this forum are good writers and enjoy story threads. I'm a sort of envoy from another forum, and we're looking for people just like you. Our forum is called "Destiny of the World," and the basic idea of the game is to take a nation in the real world and lead it to new heights. You can choose to lead it to those heights in any way you wish, be it war, economics, dimplomacy, or politics. Your decisions will affect other nations controlled by other players, which will similarly make decisions of their own that will affect you. Very interactive.

We're on sort of a recruiting drive right now, so if you can join, even as a minor nation, it'd be great. You can check out the forum at http://www.tb3.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi or contact me at averagejoe9999@yahoo.com or ICQ #51341395. If you're confused about the forum, you can ask me anything. Check it out, you won't regret it.
JT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2001, 18:28   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
That does sound interesting. The only problem is that Finland has been already taken
Must you have a real nation? Would that not mean a limited number of participants?
Also, is all that number crunching mandatory? *shivers*

Quote:
Defence spending and procurement summary

Fiscal year 2003
Total amount of funds allocated to the Ministry of Defence: 1,711,746,000 € (4.72% of budget)

Amount of these funds allocated to the Defence Forces by the Ministry: 1,643,276,160 € (95.97% of budget)

Allocation of these funds by the Defence Forces:
Area of allocation Spending in € % of total

Operative labor expenses 660,597,016 40.2
Materiel procurement 529,134,924 32.2
Other operational costs 297,432,984 18.1
Upkeep of conscripts 156,111,235 9.5
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2001, 18:53   #3
JT3
Prince

Well, yes, technically there is a finite number, but there are more than 230 nations in the world, and we haven't quite reached that many members yet.

And, heck no, you don't have to do all that number stuff. I hardly ever do. Some people like doing that so they know where all their money is or just to look impressive, but it's not required.
Old November 18, 2001, 19:50   #4
Natan
Prince

Is there an FAQ/guide somewhere, or at least a list of nations currently taken?
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2001, 20:12   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Looks like a lot of work. I don't know if I can handle so many story lines going at the same time. I'll check it out. Maybe plot Ireland's takeover of the world.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2001, 21:11   #6
JT3
Prince

There's not a list of all the untaken nations, but post something in the OOC forum and we'll help ya out.

It doesn't have to be a lot of work. You could take a small nation.
Old November 19, 2001, 10:02   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Maybe Ahvenanmaa could be an independent nation?
Though the Suomi player might have a problem with that.
Old November 19, 2001, 11:54   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:03
JT, actually, Shadowstrike and Mao and some others have a game of that on their own forums as well
Old November 19, 2001, 16:09   #9
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I think I saw someone called "Mao" posting at The Frontier also.
Maybe I should do the classical make-the-globe-on-your-desk-spin-and-place-your-finger-randomly-on-it trick?
Old November 19, 2001, 17:10   #10
JT3
Prince

Actually, that would be because the forums Mao and Shadowstrike play at and the forum I'm talking about are the same thing. I'm Spitfire over at the Frontier.
Old November 19, 2001, 20:12   #11
Natan
Prince

Well it seems to me like you need to pick a really powerful nation or else you're just writing to yourself - almost all of the posts fall into the categories of "poster writes news about own country" or "other poster's nation sends congradulations/condolences;" the former is writing to one's self, the latter is sort of predictable and bland. Is this the way it is, or just a result of the current slump it's in?
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2001, 20:40   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 17:03
:embarrassed: sorry about that- I didn't click the link and seemed to remember that The Frontier's link was something much longer than the link you listed

-Hi Spitfire

-Quick Question: How do so many people there reach postcounts of 10,000 etc. In about 3 months- I really don't see many posts there ???? :befuddled:
Old November 19, 2001, 23:21   #13
JT3
Prince

Aw, heck no. Just a couple days ago I, China, noticed in the Eritrean newsthread that some of its aid had been cut. I decided to play Mr. Nice Guy and make up for that cut in aid, and after an ICQ conversation with Desert Journeyman (who plays as Eritrea), a newspost soon came about China's new aid money. Similarly, news in Norway's thread or Iran's thread that affects other countries will generate a response. The reason that there aren't many replies by other countries in the newsthreads themselves is that nearly all players ask that other people not post a couple lines of response in their newsthread, which makes it look cluttery. We either do that on ICQ, in our own newsthreads, or in totally seperate threads. Trust me, people respond.

The other thing is that sometimes you want to write to yourself - well, sort of. Writing about your latest railway project or a crackdown on crime probably won't generate much of a response by other posters, but it will gain the notice of our economics mod, who can adjust your economic growth rate higher because of it.

The reason people have tons of posts is because to reach DotW IV we've had to go through DotW I, II, and III first. Also, people post in other forums, like Age of Imperialism and the Off-Topic.