Old November 18, 2001, 18:41   #1
Easy Rhino
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Coastal Fortresses = why?
hi guys,

I haven't build any yet, but I've blown up a couple that the AI has.

What's the reason to build a coastal fortress? Especially since the AI seems to want to bombard the area around a city insteadof the city itself.

I was thinking about it, and what I think would be really neat is if Coastal Fortresses worked as super-aggressive sea-only artillery with a zone of control (2 squares). Bad guys come into range, they get hammered (but since it's arty, probably not killed).

ER
Old November 18, 2001, 18:45   #2
HugoHillbilly
Warlord

Local Time: 12:03
Re: Coastal Fortresses = why?
Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Rhino
I was thinking about it, and what I think would be really neat is if Coastal Fortresses worked as super-aggressive sea-only artillery with a zone of control (2 squares). Bad guys come into range, they get hammered (but since it's arty, probably not killed).
ER
LOL It allready does do that, except the range is only 1 square. It gets free shots in its ZoC.

This is what is supposed to do, but ive read posts that it is broken (ive never had a chance to use them myself so I dont know firsthand, I usually build a large navy to keep enemies out of my waters before they even reach my cities)
Old November 18, 2001, 18:57   #3
Venger
King

Local Time: 11:03
Re: Re: Coastal Fortresses = why?
Quote:
Originally posted by HugoHillbilly

LOL It allready does do that, except the range is only 1 square. It gets free shots in its ZoC.
Maybe we should give it a 2 range? Or does ZOC only have a one range? Ah crap...

Quote:
This is what is supposed to do, but ive read posts that it is broken
Broken? I can't believe it....

Venger
Old November 18, 2001, 21:33   #4
Easy Rhino
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
So, has anyone ever seen a coastal fortress shoot at anything? You know, like a boat?

ER
Old November 18, 2001, 23:06   #5
Thoth
King

Local Time: 13:03
I've never seen one shoot, this feature seems to be broken. I have noticed a huge difference in the effectiveness of my bombardments once the AI gets them in it's cities. It seems to cover a 1 square radius around the city. (I do a lot of pillaging via bombardment. )
Old November 18, 2001, 23:53   #6
ElitePersian
Prince

Local Time: 17:03
YEah, i played a game till 2050AD, and the AI and myself were using lots of ships around the coast, i never got hit once from a coastal fortress, it seems like they dont work, along with air superiority.
I cant believe they'd release a game like this with features that DONT WORK, its inexcusable.
Old November 19, 2001, 10:59   #7
Thoth
King

Local Time: 13:03
I'm not so sure about air superiority not working. I had two bombers shot down last night by AI fighters. Took out a couple of fighters with my bombers as well. Got the messages and all. No message when my fighters were defending, but the AI's boming runs suddenly became a lot less effective.
Old November 19, 2001, 11:07   #8
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 19:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth
I'm not so sure about air superiority not working. I had two bombers shot down last night by AI fighters. Took out a couple of fighters with my bombers as well. Got the messages and all. No message when my fighters were defending, but the AI's boming runs suddenly became a lot less effective.
well, human fighters defending against AI bombers is broken, AI fighters against human bombers is working

so you are probably the first aceman in history if you have really managed to shoot down an enemy aircraft.