Old March 27, 2001, 12:01   #1
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Changing GIF files
I'm using the wonderful HiRes patch files, and it really does make for a whole new game. Photo-realism is great, but there are a few changes I would like to make to the GIF images. Sometimes the tips of the swords, guns, etc., look bent. I have the artistic and computer abilities to fix this. The problem is, I don't have the software.

There seems to be some serious copyright protection here. All the software I can find on the Internet that says they can change GIF files only do things like rotation, flips, and grayscaling. That, or they can change the file, but not resave it as GIF. The one exception is Paint Shop Pro, which is shareware but has a severe time limit on it.

Basically, all I want is the functionality of the stupid Paint program that comes with Windows, but that works on GIF images. Instead, for doing my own work on my own files for my own benefit, I end up having to (eventually) pay for the privilege. Is there any solution?
Old March 27, 2001, 15:06   #2
Eyn
Warlord

search for an old version of Paint Shop Pro Shareware (4.12)
the time limit of this old shareware version only disable some advanced stuff.
Old March 27, 2001, 15:16   #3
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Thanks, Eyn, I'll try that. As long as one of the blocked options isn't saving as GIF, that should work. I think I actually tried to download that version once, but the link was broken. If I can find the exact file name again, I'll go to Dogpile and search.

I'm still open to other suggestions on Paint programs, though.

***UPDATE*** OK, now I'm mad. Every single FTP site that carries version 4.12 has removed the file. What is it with GIF files? Civilization 2 is supposed to be customizable, but I can't even change one pixel on the GIF files. Totally open to solutions now, thanx. If anyone can point me to a --working-- link of PSP 4.12, that would be good.
[This message has been edited by Gastrifitis (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old March 27, 2001, 17:47   #4
Eyn
Warlord

u can try to found it on an old CD
Old March 27, 2001, 19:49   #5
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Good thinking, but I don't have a lot of old utility disks from right then. I wonder if anyone kept the unpacked file psp241a.zip on their cluttered hard drives? Then I could get it from them.
Old March 28, 2001, 01:38   #6
Turco
Settler

Hi Gast, I use Photoshop to change GIF file, but online there is just a limited version with no possibility to save your work. The best choice in your position is to use PaintShop Pro, but you say is not enough for you. So I can't find a solution...
Old March 28, 2001, 07:46   #7
Thoth
King

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Gastrifitis on 03-27-2001 11:01 AM
Basically, all I want is the functionality of the stupid Paint program that comes with Windows, but that works on GIF images. Instead, for doing my own work on my own files for my own benefit, I end up having to (eventually) pay for the privilege. Is there any solution?

The work-around I've been using: Use IE to view the gif, select "save as" and save the gif as a bit map. Then use paint to make the necessary changes. You can then either use the bmp as is or convert it back to a gif file (again using IE's "save as").

Have fun.
Old March 28, 2001, 19:52   #8
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:45
Ebay has lots of versions of PSP such as this if you're still prepared to spend a little 'hard earned'.
Old March 29, 2001, 20:19   #9
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Thoth on 03-28-2001 06:46 AM
Use IE to view the gif, select "save as" and save the gif as a bit map. Then use paint to make the necessary changes. You can then either use the bmp as is or convert it back to a gif file (again using IE's "save as").

Actually, I found out that Microsoft Paint _can_ open GIF files, if you have the version that came on the Windows 98 CD. Even if you have Windows 98, you might not have installed this version. You have to get the CD and install it from the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs box. So I did have a utility on file somewhere!

Unfortunately, the Paint program doesn't save the GIF in a way that Civ2 recognizes. It completely crashed the game when I tried to run. I used a third-party viewing program to resave the file as "Compuserve GIF", and it did let me run Civ2, but the colors on everything came out garbled. If IE is the solution, though, I'll try resaving it that way. Thanks!
Old April 3, 2001, 08:13   #10
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
What version of Civ2 do you have? If you have 2.78 or above you don't need to do the GIF thing. Those Civ2 versions also support bitmaps. So just open a GIF file with paint, save it as a bitmap and you're done! I believe Civ2 tries to look for a bitmap before a GIF file, so you won't even need to (re)move the GIF files.
*whisper* Or perhaps you're interested in a full version of PSP7 (30 MB)?
Old April 3, 2001, 15:18   #11
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Mercator on 04-03-2001 08:13 AM
What version of Civ2 do you have? If you have 2.78 or above you don't need to do the GIF thing. Those Civ2 versions also support bitmaps. So just open a GIF file with paint, save it as a bitmap and you're done! I believe Civ2 tries to look for a bitmap before a GIF file, so you won't even need to (re)move the GIF files.

Thanks, I'll try that too.

I'm sure a pirated copy of PSP7 would be a lot of fun, but I can do a lot with just Paint, thanks.
Old April 5, 2001, 04:12   #12
Kolumbusus
Chieftain

Hi i am interested in what u use these real pictures for, military uinits??? Can u explain detaily how it is done and if u could send some real pictures to me i would be thankfull.

[image]http://www.mobisux.com/tabla/files/167010-slovenia.gif[/image]

kolumbusus