Old April 5, 2001, 01:34   #1
Fubla
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
A matter of preference.
I'm working on a WWI / Western Front scenario, and it's looking like this one might actually be finished at some point (major achievement for me).

Anyway, I'm at a design dilemma - I'm trying to figure out how to best represent artillery. I always hate how units can go forever, apparently without ammunition. Maybe they make their own shells by hand. Who knows. Another thing I don't like is how when you bombard something, either you hit it or you don't; there shouldn't be damage to the artillery itself.

Anyway, to represent resupply of artillery, I'm either going to do one of two things;

1) Use airbases as "batteries" and have low-cost "ammunition" units with the missile designation. I think this would be pretty interesting. Except I'm already thinking about how the AI will not know how to use this , imagining some future scene where the trenches sit unmolested while any battleship that comes within range gets the snot beat out of it.

2) Make low cost artillery units, again with the missile designation but this time for a land unit. I'm not even sure if this works, really...

Anyway, what do you people think? Any experimentation done with this? Oh, yes - if anybody is an authority on WWI vintage uniforms and/or units, could you give me your address and I'll send you my unit graphics, so you can tell me about how I've got it all wrong and need to redraw all of them? =)
Old April 7, 2001, 17:53   #2
Fubla
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:15
Um...okay. I guess speaking of the First World War is strictly forbidden. My bad.
Old April 7, 2001, 18:34   #3
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re-post this at either the HS Scenario League forum or the HS The Spanish Civ Site forum. I am sure you'll get some good replies at either of those forums. This one is almost dead.

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited April 07, 2001).]
Old April 7, 2001, 20:00   #4
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:15
Ok, I have been, in the past, very interested in WWI scenarios. And I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis that artillery units apparently "come with" the mountains of shells necessary to maintain bombardments turn-afer-turn. Thinking about it, I decided that, because the artillery units often perish, and it usually requires several of them doing so to reduce a well-defended position, that in fact the "artillery" units actually represent the civ's capacity for fielding artillery and that the constant construction and expenditure of artillery "units" in battle represents the expenditure of ammunition, not the destruction of the actual artillery itself.

I wonder if the designers could have come up with that one. (w/a straight face)

Salutations,
Exile

------------------
Lost in America
"a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
"or a very good liar." --Stefu
Old April 8, 2001, 10:19   #5
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:15
Well, as Jay Bee said, this forum is near death. Send your graphics to me, and I will help with the uniform thing, as I know something about that subject, as both Exile and Jay Bee will tell you. My e-mail is in my profile, and please make sure you zip any file you send.

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.