Old November 19, 2001, 14:12   #1
Shaka II
Prince

Local Time: 12:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Great Library not working?
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but in the current game I haven't got any advances from the Great Library, and am already approaching the discovery of Electricity. I am French, playing at Monarch level.

Last game, I was Greek playing at Regent level and I got several advances, but only for a brief period.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

In Civ II I always suspected that the AI stopped trading techs if the human player got the GL, but this is really cheap.
Old November 19, 2001, 14:31   #2
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As I know, GL is giving you advances that others already have. If you're always a high-tech science player that's constantly researching, I guess that you wont ever be behind others in reasearch and GL wont give you any tech.

Many other players on this forum said they used the GL and it went well for them.
Old November 19, 2001, 14:40   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 19:06
Yet another newbie question.

Please, consult the game manual before rushing over to ACSF for asking silly questions. There's a logical explanation to such simple questions, if you would just use your wits and use the information provided with the game.

Becides that, Shaka II, have you never thought that the library might be closed on Sundays?
Old November 19, 2001, 14:59   #4
GDI
Settler

I've had the Great Library work fine for me in several games. I also wanted to point out that the effects of the Great Library cease when Education is discovered, not Electricity like it was in Civ2. It makes the lifespan of the Wonder much shorter...
Old November 19, 2001, 15:20   #5
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 11:06
One other thing to note is that it only works with contacted civs. I was on an island and I couldn't figure out why the Library wasn't working. Then I met the rest of the world and got 5 or 6 techs all at once.
Old November 19, 2001, 19:56   #6
Shaka II
Prince

Well, I checked out the saved games and I got the GL in 350AD and education was discovered apparently by me in 520AD (17 turns later), which made it obsolete. In my opinion, they should extend the point of obsolescence a few turns. Maybe to Democracy would be better.

I checked the contacted civs, of which I had 4 during this period, and they all had feudalism for several turns, which I had to trade for with music theory and $$.

It used to be such a great wonder and now I will probably not bother with it again.

On the bright side, Sistene Chapel is awesome for cultural takeovers and to prevent the same.
Old November 20, 2001, 04:38   #7
Kaesar
Settler

Local Time: 17:06
Get the GL, it's a MUST!!

JUST LOOK AT THE MUSICAL NOTES!!

most culture in the game
somebody figured it out to be 17 or 19
Old November 20, 2001, 06:06   #8
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:06
According to the Editor, the GL gives 6 culture...
-- Roland
Old November 20, 2001, 06:44   #9
Oho
Settler

Ave !!!

Shaka in Civ II at least the GL only handed the new technology when discovered by another civilization, hence not working as described.

- Oho -
Old November 20, 2001, 07:49   #10
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 18:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Yet another newbie question.

Please, consult the game manual before rushing over to ACSF for asking silly questions. There's a logical explanation to such simple questions, if you would just use your wits and use the information provided with the game.

Becides that, Shaka II, have you never thought that the library might be closed on Sundays?
Or perhaps you should be more forgiving and tolerant towards newbies! Instead of feeling superior....

I had that same problem with the Great Library. I agree that I looked into the civilopedia and figured it out myself, but hey not everybody is the same.
Old November 20, 2001, 07:51   #11
JustJoe
Settler

Maybe it's not working cause you are playing as the French...

Old November 20, 2001, 08:12   #12
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:06
The window between construction and expiration of the GL is painfully brief, IMHO. Some things in Civ 3 just aren't worth it. The Great Wall, never one of my favorites anyway, is now pretty much useless. The Man-o-War special unit for the English is a fine idea, but the problems of making use of this unit are so obvious, I haven't even gotten around to playing them yet.
Old November 20, 2001, 09:24   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

and the AI does trade alot!!
in my last game i got "education" through the "GL"
i think the "GL" is abit of a gamble. if you can get it , good. if you mis out on it, you will have alot of catching up to do.
(having neglected other things)
it's stil worth it though. (usually gives you 4-5 advances)
look who else is playing too, i.e. religious civ tend to go for religious civs tend to go monotheism.... so do your research on something else.

great wall is useless!!!!
Old November 20, 2001, 09:42   #14
AHO
Chieftain

My problem with the GL is that it comes so early in the game, it takes you 40-50 turns to build it but gives you only a few advances for your troubles before someone else discovers Education. That's 40-50 turns in which you DIDN'T build a library, you DIDN'T build that Colosseum, courthouse, etc. Might as well put your resources into your own discoveries. But my biggest complaint is that Civ3 doesn't give you an alert that the GL, or any other Wonder, has now become obsolete. After I built GL, I backed off my funding for research, since I was going to be able to keep up with my opponents through the GL. After not hearing anything for a while, I found that Education had been discovered several turns before a realized it. Now, I know some smart-ass is going to say, "you've got to check every turn", but come on, how difficult would it be to program an alert function into the game that could let you know. I mean, what good are your "advisors" anyway?
Old November 20, 2001, 14:27   #15
Shaka II
Prince

AHO, this expresses my thoughts clearly. I guess in order for GL to work now, it has to be built very early on. My first wonder was Oracle, because someone built the Pyramids.

When I discovered Literacy I started GL, while rushing ahead to discover Theology to build Sistene, in case someone else beat me to GL. In the end I built both, but the GL had little life left, except for the culture per turn (as Kaesar points out), which will probably make it worth it in the end).

Also, I wouldn't consider myself a newbie (Rasbelin). Perhaps to Civ III I am a bit new, but it has only been out a few weeks, so I think everyone here is a bit of a newbie.
Old November 20, 2001, 16:54   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!

Or perhaps you should be more forgiving and tolerant towards newbies! Instead of feeling superior....
I know that. Partially it's true, partially not. One reason for such behavior is that I'm currently on a damn nosy mood. But why not? Sometimes it's annoying to see such wicked questions, when there's an easy solution to that. The Aa button for the Civilopedia in Civ III. But this isn't the same that I would normally make sarcastic comments on questions made by new Apolytoners. No, the current situation and mood is dominating.

Sorry, Shakey II, if I offended you.