Old November 19, 2001, 14:47   #1
Warhammer
Settler

Local Time: 17:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What am I doing wrong?
Tho I am a newbie to the board, I am an experienced Civ/CivII player that has had very little difficulty in beating either of the previous games on either Diety or Emperor level, yet when I come over to Civ 3, I have been having tremendous difficulty.

I have been playing as the French in all my games. I get out to a decent sized Civ, and go the scientific route. Sort of like my Civ 2 strategy, expand, solidify borders, build up the science, then unleash my technically superior troops on the AI. The only problem is here I do not have the superior troops...

I have never been eliminated, but I have never been the dominant civ either, I have always been a middle of the pack guy in Civ 3.

So my question to all of you is what are some of your successful strategies on Monarch (or higher)?
Old November 19, 2001, 14:51   #2
dr.charm
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Don't unleash

Seriously, war is a much bigger deal in Civ3 than in Civ2. If you want to get involved in a war, make them come to you, weaken them, then attack. Or better yet, build a coalition and stomp on the guy.

My war strategy is to wait, let him crash against my defensive lines, and then hit with a spearhead of knights/cavalry/tanks (whatever is current) backed up by pikemen/riflemen/infantry. Don't try to do too much at once, have a goal in mind before you attack (make it a limited goal: like grab a resource, destroy/take a critical city etc.) It will be virtually impossible to simply walk over a civ anywhere near your technological level.

Cheers,

Dr. Charm