Old November 19, 2001, 18:51   #1
Caesar Jon
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMDiploGames
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cloud of War
Is there anyway to turn this off so you can see the map uninhibited? This really bugs me....I send a troop through an area and next turn I can't even see the area I was in. Thanks
Old November 19, 2001, 23:47   #2
Monoriu
Warlord

Local Time: 17:07
Umm, nope. At least I don't know a way. Personally, I like the cloud of war feature, makes the game a lot more challenging. Besides, you don't want to see all the AI movements. Otherwise you'll spend 10 minutes or more watching the AI move each turn.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:41   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This is a normally way of things. You can only see things as they were when you passed through, unless you have a presence (work/unit/city). A few games have let you turn it off. It would make it easy to choose your starting point or to start over though.
Old November 20, 2001, 12:35   #4
henry296
Settler

Local Time: 12:07
Increase Fog of War
On the same topic but in the other direction, what do people think about learning about strategic resources in a "Fogged" area.

If I haven't wandered through Germany in over 100 years and I learn Refining, how should I know that Germany has oil. I would think that I should have to re-explore that territory before learning that unless Germany tells me somehow - i.e. through a trade discussion.

If this was the case, I wouldn't dispand my expolorer after I learned about the continents. To me, after learning all of the interior once, I never need to really explore it again.

Any thoughts?

Todd
Old November 20, 2001, 13:06   #5
Usually Insane
King

Local Time: 19:07
I agree with you henry, Why by the time you get explorers you have already all the maps you need.

anyway, do explorers trigger "get out of my country fellings in other leaders?
Old November 20, 2001, 14:12   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Best spin I can put on it is, think of it has a surveilence photo and you had it taken a some point in time. At that time, you did not know anything about oil, but it is in the ground. Now you learn about oil and take that picture out again, bam you see the oil. You do not see any new cities or troops as they were not there when the photo was taken.
Old November 20, 2001, 14:26   #7
henry296
Settler

Local Time: 12:07
I receive the "Your troops are in our territory" message from my explorer. However, it seems to take much longer than wandering around with Horseman.

Todd
Old November 20, 2001, 20:43   #8
gfrazieror
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:07
vmxa1 - That seems to be a reasonable explanation to me. You're exploring some odd continent (or you get a map from, say the Indians) and this funny black stuff is oozing from the ground. You ask the Indians about this, and they say, in effect "Who in the name of Genesha knows?". Flashforward 500 years, and researchers in London who have just discovered refining are looking at some old maps, and suddenly exclaim "By George, this is the raw material we need to make this work!" A message is sent to Whitehall immediately, an expeditionary force is put together, and suddenly the Royal Navy is invading near Bangalore to get their mits on the black stuff so they can build those fancy new Battleships that the Admiralty is agog over, and really stick it to those French bastards and their taunting Musketeers.