Old November 20, 2001, 08:13   #1
TelexStar
Settler

Local Time: 17:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Noobie needs advice!
Hi,

I'm totlly new to the Civ world and i've just bought Civ 3. I was wondering if people would recommend me doing the tutorial first or will i be able to pick stuff up fairly easily from just playing the game?

Thanks
Telex
Old November 20, 2001, 08:26   #2
Kekkonen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:09
Go with the tutorial. The tutorial actually sets up a regular 8-civ game on Chieftain (easiest) level. It just gives you some advice on what to do (like what's a good place for a city, what to do with your worker units etc.); it's not a simplified or dumbed-down version of the real game, it's the real thing with training wheels.
Old November 20, 2001, 08:33   #3
TelexStar
Settler

ok thanks!

btw whats a 8-civ game? i don't know any of the terminology
Old November 20, 2001, 08:39   #4
mrbilll
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:09
You and seven competing AI opponents.

A word of advice- read the Manual, and pay attention to the Civilopedia before you ask questions, or the regulars here will thrash you. Good luck.
Old November 20, 2001, 08:41   #5
TelexStar
Settler

mmm ok thanks for the tip

I'm reading through it now but its just bloody massive!

are the regulars a bit anal then?
Old November 20, 2001, 09:00   #6
Kekkonen
Warlord

I haven't been here for that long, but I'd guess this is much like any other game forum; people are, in general, helpful, but if lots of people barge in asking questions that are clearly answered in the manual or in-game help (civilopedia), it gets very irritating.
Old November 20, 2001, 09:10   #7
TelexStar
Settler

agreed and understood

I know the feeling, i'm a regular at other forums and the same damn thing happens - only its worse cuz the manuals for those games are a few pages big and theres really no-excuse for not reading them.

cheers

Telex
Old November 20, 2001, 09:56   #8
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
A word of advice- read the Manual, and pay attention to the Civilopedia before you ask questions, or the regulars here will thrash you. Good luck
nah, I don't think apolyton regulars will trash people for asking simple questions. But it's good indeed to read the manual ! For most games it's not important, but the civ-manual is a must-have-read !

When you have questions / remarks, be sure to check if the topic is already covered somewhere in the forums.
The regulars might trash you when you start a new topic for an old question

have fun gaming !
civ rocks !
Old November 20, 2001, 13:06   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TelexStar

are the regulars a bit anal then?
Pardon, but I don't consider myself "anal". Take this as a warning from a regular.
Old November 20, 2001, 14:32   #10
Yook
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:09
TelexStar,

You might want to check out this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=31714

It is a list of commonly missed interface tricks. If you closely read the manual, including the stuff way in the back, most of the tricks in there will be known to you. It's still a good thread to check, just in case.

-Yook
Old November 21, 2001, 02:30   #11
mrbilll
Chieftain

There are plenty of great people here. I'm just a bit taken aback at the snotty attitude of a few of the posters. For crying out loud, it's just a game. From some of the posts I've seen, you'd think this was a religious forum, debating scriptures or something!

You know who you are! Lighten up!
Old November 21, 2001, 02:51   #12
klesh
King

Local Time: 13:09
Quote:
Originally posted by mrbilll
From some of the posts I've seen, you'd think this was a religious forum, debating scriptures or something!
Blasphemer!!! Heretic!!!

That's it, now you've done it. Ok regulars... let's have at him.

-FMK.
Old November 21, 2001, 03:07   #13
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbilll
... For crying out loud, it's just a game. From some of the posts I've seen, you'd think this was a religious forum, debating scriptures or something!
But it's a GREAT game, and for many it consumes many more hours and attention than religion or spirituality!

And it is all colored by the different ways individuals play and view the game. Often something seemingly doesn't work at all to some players and they get all upset about it, while others do things differently and the 'something' works just fine. It's a matter of adjusting, breaking out of our old molds.

Since I've bought the game, it has been the best 3 weeks I've had in years!
(Yah, I know -- "Get a life.")
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 21, 2001, 05:26   #14
TelexStar
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin

Pardon, but I don't consider myself "anal". Take this as a warning from a regular.
LOL warning taken

mmm, i'm not sure if i've done the right thing here, Within the first half hour of playing i'm already at war with Egypt, well they started advancing towards me and now their influences covers a large section of land with the dyes luxury that i want to keep my citezins happy - DOH! now i've done it. Was this a bad move?
Old November 21, 2001, 06:08   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm anal about the spelling of the word (fake word) Newbie.
Old November 21, 2001, 06:20   #16
TelexStar
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I'm anal about the spelling of the word (fake word) Newbie.
u obviously don't know l33t do u?

infact it should be spelt, n00b!e

Civ 3 r0x0rs, ph33r me 4 c!t!3s u pr0n p30n!

btw, i'm j/k no offence intended
Old November 21, 2001, 06:22   #17
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 12:09
1337?
Old November 21, 2001, 06:22   #18
TelexStar
Settler

hehe, whoops, ur right

/me goes and bangs me heeed against the radiator!
Old November 21, 2001, 06:25   #19
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 12:09
don't do that, I was just reciting the only word of it I know =Ū
Old November 21, 2001, 06:45   #20
Kekkonen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by TelexStar
mmm, i'm not sure if i've done the right thing here, Within the first half hour of playing i'm already at war with Egypt, well they started advancing towards me and now their influences covers a large section of land with the dyes luxury that i want to keep my citezins happy - DOH! now i've done it. Was this a bad move?
The answer is this: it depends. Now, wasn't that helpful?

Seriously though, having to fight a defensive war early is generally not good. It hampers your development, the attacking hordes destroy terrain improvements, capture your workers and settlers and harass or at worst conquer your cities. If you're the Greeks and have hoplites, you can probably hold your own against anything they throw at you early, though.

An early offensive war can be good for you, especially if you happen to have mobile unique units like mounted warriors (or war chariots, like the Egyptians). I guess all this boils down to is this: war, in any stage of the game, can be good if and only if you can take it to your opponent. If it's being fought mainly on your soil, it will hurt you even if you don't lose any territory. (Or, to put it really simply, war is good if you win. If you don't, it's bad. If you lose, it's very bad. If you lose badly, it's a catastrophe.)

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who generally doesn't go to war early, period. In all versions of Civ (and SMAC) I've gotten my best results with a "speak softly until you get that big stick" -strategy.
Old November 21, 2001, 06:53   #21
TelexStar
Settler

ok, i may re-load an old save game
Old November 24, 2001, 10:15   #22
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 13:09
Newbie Tactics
The Chieftain level was tough for me until I began to increase the culture in my towns (or cities).
Worst thing about the game: Ending at 2050.
Best thing about the game: Learning about how I handle problems.

First game: I was pushed around by the Russians, and I was attacked by Zululand and Babylon. I had to almost wipe out the Babylonians. Zululand would use the Russian Railroad, and the Persians hated me because I explored near their land. They would not make a peace treaty until I attacked Persia with my navy, defeated a few Russian boarder cities, and crush Zululand trade routes and bordering cities. This started a World War where only me, Egypt, was at peace. I neglected culture and wonders because I thought I could get those later. The game ended too early! And I was working on the atomic age.
This game ended too early at 2050.

Second Game: I was Persia on an Island next to an island controlled by Babylon. Babylon peacefully invaded my land and they would not trade with me while they were building up culture. I discovered facts about building temples, and using scouts early in the game. However, I was just learning how to increase my population for settlers. So, I wasted a lot of time early in the game. Russia and Zululand were again pushy and aggressive. China was friendly, but they did not like to trade. My best friends were the Aztecs until they became as strong as I. Yet, they still never tried to bully me. I learnt about replacement parts. I had little conflicts until Russia attempted to get her friends to launch a naval attack. But I stopped the attack and made peace a little early. This game ended too early at 2050. I had just made replacement parts.

Third Game: I was Iroquois. I was given a scout and a worker and a settler. I controlled the culture. I defended the Russian invasion to control my mountains and gold, and I took over all of the Egyptian cities in my area. As of now I am leading this game at chieftain level, and no one is at war. I was the first to explore, I have most of the wonders, I control who has what technology, and I have cities all over the world. I have plenty of oil, and I am making steel in 1999. At first, Babylon asked me for a world map without a trade. So, I made a settlement next to their major supply of iron, and I posted infantry, and I got 30 golds per turn when I gave him industrial age. I get gold from everyone. And Cleopatra looks cute when she is annoyed. Everyone is polite with me after I give them more power in a trade. And so, it is a peaceful world. However, the game is ending too soon again.

Final thought: I thought about using the tutorial. Still, it was fun by playing. I use my original tactics. Some people online were helpful while others harassing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kekkonen
Go with the tutorial. The tutorial actually sets up a regular 8-civ game on Chieftain (easiest) level. It just gives you some advice on what to do (like what's a good place for a city, what to do with your worker units etc.); it's not a simplified or dumbed-down version of the real game, it's the real thing with training wheels.