Old May 6, 2001, 20:57   #1
ostrander-bellepoint
Settler

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New gigantic world map (142 X 230)
I have made a new gigantic map (142 X 230) of the earth based on Julius Brenzaida's Gigaworld (found in the Civ II downloads section) and Alexandre's Mercator Earth (found at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...mercator2.html )

It can be found at http://ostranderbellepoint.tripod.com/index.htm

Let me know what you think.
Old May 7, 2001, 08:27   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
Itīs brilliant! It really is.
Some minor notes, off the top of my head, without a world map at hand:
- The Indian subcontinent looks a tad out of ballance, leaning to the right.
- The Japanese island Hokkaido might need an extra square or two to the right, although that would mean it would be connected to Honshu, which seems to have been the very reason you didnīt add those squares.
- Australiaīs coastline could need a bit of touching up, especially the Northwest (the ībumpī left of Darwin) and the Southeast (around Sydney).

But this map really looks like the best giga world map around (until I release mine, of course )
[This message has been edited by Mercator (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old May 7, 2001, 13:20   #3
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia on 05-07-2001 12:18 PM
Can I use this new map with an old copy of Civ2 (FWorlds) or will I have to get a copy of ToT?

You would need MGE or ToT. It doesn't work with FW.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old May 7, 2001, 13:48   #4
kIndal
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 01:15
WWWOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!
It is a really wonderfull map and probably the best world map of veryone, it will be very dificult to make better.

Old May 7, 2001, 16:20   #5
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Your map is definitely great.
As great as my new one that I finished in january but hasn't found its way yet to the Apolyton Database. I send it to you and Mercator to have your opinions.
Of course your map is not perfect, no map would ever be, I am afraid but it is very realistic indeed. If I was to tickle, I could point that there are high mountains in Kamatchka and a few very little things like that, but you could find twice as much of such in my new world map.
Yours is really good : one believes he really is on earth.
My only slight critic would be that on some areas the terrain is not varied and perhaps that when one plays it could show. I mean, for example Russia is not only prairie, for many big town should thrive on it. Same with California.
But it's really a great effort. I wonder how many hours you spend on it. Mine took me something like 30-50 hours to make.
Congratulations once again !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old May 7, 2001, 16:23   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Excellent effort! Altho civers may know details of certain areas that could be improved, it clearly is a fabulous map. I like the inclusion of minor islands, particularly in the pacific. What time period is the terrain set for?

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 7, 2001, 16:50   #7
ostrander-bellepoint
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq on 05-07-2001 04:23 PM
Excellent effort! Altho civers may know details of certain areas that could be improved, it clearly is a fabulous map. I like the inclusion of minor islands, particularly in the pacific. What time period is the terrain set for?

I didn't consider time periods very much when making this map, but I may have been influenced by my preference for prehistoric maps which include more jungle and forest tiles than most world maps (I tweaked the rules to accomodate this). That may explain the uninterrupted jungles of Africa and South America and forests in Canada and Siberia.
Old May 7, 2001, 16:57   #8
ostrander-bellepoint
Settler

I probably shouldn't have done it, but I couldn't resist tweaking the map in line with some of Mercator's suggestions.

I adjusted Australia's coastline (though I'm still not completely satisfied with it), as well as India's. I changed Hokkaido in Japan also. I updated the file on the site; and, deciding that the change wasn't great enough to include it seperately, I removed the old file and replaced it with the new. I hope that this didn't cause an inconvenience to anyone.
Old May 7, 2001, 19:00   #9
Orion T. Hunter
Settler

Local Time: 19:15
I've got both versions and I must say that they are both very excellent pieces of work. Well done! My pitiful attempts at making maps are now more evident than ever O' Master of Earthly Maps!
Seriously though, you did a great job with the first version and your updated version. I especially like the addition of evidence of Antarctica and Tasmania (which I believe exists as a bump in the Civ2 version) as well as the more detailed Northern Passage area above Canada. Good Work.

Itaque ille mei duo centesimus thaleri est - And that is my two cents (or so I think... B in Latin)
[This message has been edited by Orion T. Hunter (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 00:18   #10
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:15
Can I use this new map with an old copy of Civ2 (FWorlds) or will I have to get a copy of ToT?
Old May 8, 2001, 19:29   #11
carnide_
Prince

Great, great work!
Old May 9, 2001, 01:08   #12
master on high
King

I don't mean to be critical, but I there were some minor things I saw that could be fixed.

The terrain looks rather plain. For instance, there are hills and forests and plains just about everywhere, and it wouldn't take too much effort to diversify it a little bit. It would certainly help playability.

Also, at the top of mountains there are usually plateaus, and it would be easier to live on that plateau than on the craggy parts leading up to it. Perhaps you could put some tundra, plains, and hills at the top
to change things up, and maybe allow some cities to be built up there.

BTW the Celts look like they are in Ireland...assuming their capitol is still Cardiff, it should be instead placed in Wales.

But the outline and placement of terrain is fantastic! Must have taken forever to do! I'm sure tons of people could use this.
Old May 9, 2001, 08:53   #13
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:15
What is all that desert doing in probably the most fertile lands of the world???? What happened to the Pampa humeda in Argentina?

Hell, other than that it looks brilliant to say the least... however, I can't seem to download it. Could someone e-mail it to the address in my "From" location field to the left please?
Old May 9, 2001, 19:44   #14
ostrander-bellepoint
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by El Hogfather on 05-09-2001 08:53 AM
What is all that desert doing in probably the most fertile lands of the world???? What happened to the Pampa humeda in Argentina?

That is an excellent point, El Hogfather. I had intended to place that desert in Patagonia where it belongs (or at least where it seems like it belongs), but somehow when I was tweaking the continent I neglected to move the desert region south.

Are the Pampas mostly plains? My atlas shows general vegetation for a region, but it is still rather vague.

In fact, I suppose the greatest fault with this map is indeed its terrain inaccuracies, as Master on High illustrates. I shall set to work on fixing this problem, which will be even more time consuming than adjusting the continental outlines had been (but to me the rewards of accuracy of this map will make the investment of time worthwhile).

I expect this will take a few weeks to a month, and I shall post the results on the same site as an alternative download with the updated map below the old one.

Please let me know of any more terrain inaccuracies in particular and other general inaccuracies as well.

Thank you all for your help so far.
Old May 9, 2001, 21:59   #15
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 18:15
Other terrain details to consider:

The coastal part of West Africa is hilly and forested as far north as Senegal. Or at least was until this century. The Niger river has an inland delta (marsh) in Mali.

I'd add two more squares to Iberia (fatten it up to the west), altho this might just look odd because of the projection you based it on.

It's great to see so much interest in a map! Have pride in the results!

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 10, 2001, 01:11   #16
master on high
King

All that it needs is better terrain placement.