Old November 20, 2001, 15:30   #1
Mike4879
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
problems playing on a huge map with 16 civs
I have an athlon 1200mhz with 384MB PC133 sdram and a ati radeon 64mb sdr video card. I have tried some games on a huge map (random) and the huge earth map that ships with the game. Everything is fine until the entire world is populated with cities, but after that, each turn becomes extremely slow (I'm talking about up to 60 seconds here each turn). I'm wondering if anyone out there has gotten it to go faster (or comparitive to a standard map speed), and if so, what settings/kind of system are you using.

I am starting to think maybe it is my memory, maybe if I had more memory it would be faster, but there is no way for me to tell for sure. I have also tried turning off animations and anything else that might be slowing me down. Its really a let down because I played one huge map game with the Romans where I took over all of south america, but the game became so slow that I couldn't even play it to the end.

-Mike
Old November 20, 2001, 15:37   #2
sachmo71
Warlord

Local Time: 11:10
In another thread, someone mentioned a memory leak when exiting. Maybe it isn't limited to exiting...I will have to investigate this one soon.
Old November 20, 2001, 15:52   #3
Jahi
Warlord

Local Time: 11:10
the game always crashes for me on 255x255 maps with 16 civs.. 2 games so far and 2 crashes.. first one at 760ad and the second one at 20ad.

otherwise, yes, it can get *really* slow. i checked the memory usage on my game and it was using like 260 megs of ram..