Old November 20, 2001, 17:30   #1
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
scientists - do they work?
Well, am I missing something or do scientists not improve the science rate of a single city?

I have a library/university in Rome (and some science wonders, e.g SETI), but the sience rate shown in the city screen displays the number 81 with several hired scientists - but also without them...is this a bug?

Old November 20, 2001, 17:36   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 10:11
of course scientists don't work

such a silly question
Old November 20, 2001, 17:40   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Old November 20, 2001, 17:40   #4
TheDarkside
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
This has been brought up, but with taxmen. People claimed taxmen didnt do anything as it didn't show any change in the city itself. But in fact, there is a change and it is noted under the Domestic Advisor. I'm sure same goes with science.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:42   #5
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
Tax collecters show up on the domestic advisor's screen in the line "from tax collecters under Income ($2 per head). This in turn becomes a part of the income distributed by percentages to the various expenses. Entertainers show up right on the screen. Each entertainer converts one content head to happy, or if no content, one unhappy to content. However scientists do not show up on any screen I can identify. They MAY be adding value to the science contribution shown in the expense ledger mentioned above, but there is no way to tell. A total science contibution identified somewhere would be very useful. In any case the effect of taxers and scientists is not directly on the city numbers.
Old November 20, 2001, 17:48   #6
BeBro
Emperor

Well, then perhaps a Firaxian could clarify this for us...?

I know about entertainers/taxmen but these lazy scientists irritate me...
Old November 21, 2001, 01:38   #7
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sheesh! Not only do you claim that scientists are lazy but you also do it whilst mentioning TAXMEN and ENTERTAINERS in the same sentence!
Insult to injury...

Off with your head!
Old November 21, 2001, 07:11   #8
carpo
Settler

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Scientists show up in the domestic advisor screen as a beaker under the city they are in. I have put 0 funding to science, and had one scientist in a city, and it shows up as 1 beaker in that city. This is pretty cool actually, because of the 32 turn limit on research, even with only 1 scientist, you will still complete the research in 32 turns. Good for making money early on.
Old November 21, 2001, 10:04   #9
AHO
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:11
For some odd reason, you don't see the effects of changing a non-worker to a scientist in the city window; however, it does have an effect. In order to see what effect it had, do this: Open your Domestic advisor first. Look for the city you want to work with. Check to see how many science points it's presently producing. Click on the city (while in the Domestic advisor window) to bring up your city window. Change the entertainer to a scientist. Don't be shocked when the science points don't change in the city window. Close the city window, and this should take you straight back to the Domestic advisor. Look at the new science value for that city, hopefully having not forgotten what it was before you started, and you will notice that it will have changed. I know this is cumbersome and stupid--it's silly for the values not to change immediately in the city window--but it's the quickest way to see it.
Old November 21, 2001, 10:11   #10
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by AHO
For some odd reason, you don't see the effects of changing a non-worker to a scientist in the city window; however, it does have an effect. In order to see what effect it had, do this: Open your Domestic advisor first. Look for the city you want to work with. Check to see how many science points it's presently producing. Click on the city (while in the Domestic advisor window) to bring up your city window. Change the entertainer to a scientist. Don't be shocked when the science points don't change in the city window. Close the city window, and this should take you straight back to the Domestic advisor. Look at the new science value for that city, hopefully having not forgotten what it was before you started, and you will notice that it will have changed. I know this is cumbersome and stupid--it's silly for the values not to change immediately in the city window--but it's the quickest way to see it.
You can also change to taxmen/entertainers/scientists in the Domestic Advisor Screen by clicking in one citizen that has that special job! (There's no need to go to the city, unless you want to choose wich worker is to be set to no-worker)! But if you have already Enternainers or so, you can change them to Taxmen/Entertainers directly from the Domestic Advisor Screen!

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
Old November 21, 2001, 10:55   #11
MrB
Settler

They work
I believe scientists work...

I remember running a civ with 0% science rate, as it was a big war and I desperately needed the money. The rate for the next science advance was -- like you'd expect. Then the auto governor or whatever made a couple of my tax collectors scientists and the turns to next advance started counting again.

Try it.
Old November 21, 2001, 11:06   #12
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by AHO
so the city screen has a bug?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old November 21, 2001, 13:30   #13
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 12:11
Nah scientists don't work. I'm a scientist and I look around my lab right now: 2 are playing fantasy football on the web, and, well, I'm here so you know I'm not working.

BTW, don't waste your time using your scientists trying to get your tech advance time down to less than 4 turns ... diminishing returns kind of thing.