Old February 17, 2001, 22:22   #1
Masis
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Roman-'byzantine' scenarios to give away
YES THATS RIGHT.
DUE TO THE FACT THAT I AM MOVING AWAY-GOING TO LEAD A DIFFERENT LIFE I WANT TO SEND MY SCENARIOS TO ALL YOU FOLKS TO ENJOY, EDIT AND ENHANCE FOR THE SAKE OF CIV II GAMING---> E-MAIL ME Khatchik@cwcom.net AND I WILL SEND THEM TO YOU.

------------------
MRP
Old February 19, 2001, 14:24   #2
Masis
Warlord

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO EDIT THE UNITS GIF IN CIV II?
THE SCENARIOS NEED THAT VITAL AUTHENTICITY TO MAKE THEM ACCURATE.
THE UNITS THAT I WILL USE TO REPLACE, I HAVE ON FILE, SO I CAN SEND THEM TO YOU IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE TASK FOR YOURSELF...
Old February 19, 2001, 14:27   #3
Giant Squid

I'm not really sure what your problem is, but all you have to do is open the units.gif file with any normal paint program (MSPaint and PaintShopPro both work, I believe), go to the units you want to change, and paint the new unit picture there instead. The purplish and pink colors appear as transparent. Also, stay within the green lines, and don't go over the bottom of the pink square.

Hope that helps...this kind of thing also works with everything else, like cities.gif. Of course, if you have FW, that makes things easier.
[This message has been edited by Giant Squid (edited February 19, 2001).]

Old February 19, 2001, 14:45   #4
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
No offense Masis, but you might want to relise your caps lock
Old February 19, 2001, 20:16   #5
Masis
Warlord

THANKS GIANT SQUID, I'LL TRY IT OUT.
OH YES THE CAPS HENRIK-Thats better...

------------------
MRP
Old February 19, 2001, 20:48   #6
Masis
Warlord

DRAT!
Well, I opened the Cities.gif in Microsoft Paint, copied the gif I wanted to paste onto it, saved it.
Went to open Civ II (original-not gold edt.) and got an error message.
The best thing is I leave this challenge to you folks-which I guess will be a sinch for you all, when you download my scenarios-via e-mail and I will send the gifs with them along with a list of what gif should replace what gif.

"If I lose everything, what do I have left? Hope?"-Alexander The Great 4th century BC

------------------
MRP
Old February 19, 2001, 20:50   #7
Masis
Warlord

DRAT!
Well, I opened the Cities.gif in Microsoft Paint, copied the gif I wanted to paste onto it, saved it.
The best thing is I leave this challenge to you folks-which I guess will be a sinch for you all, when you download my scenarios-via e-mail and I will send the gifs with them along with a list of what gif should replace what gif.

"If I lose everything, what do I have left? Hope?"-Alexander The Great 4th century BC

------------------
MRP
Old February 20, 2001, 00:27   #8
Giant Squid

Masis: I strongly doubt anyone is going to do this for you. However, you might want to consider checking your colors and image format and stuff.

If you send it to me at giantsquid@home.com, I'd be glad to take a closer look.

Old February 20, 2001, 00:51   #9
CyberChrist
Warlord

quote:

I opened the Cities.gif in Microsoft Paint, copied the gif I wanted to paste onto it, saved it.

Sounds like a case of wrong GIF format, but just in case it is something else then make sure the number of colors are set to 256 and that the pixel size (width x height) of the gif are the same as the original gif.
Having said that, I strongly suggest that you (and everyone else come to think of it) abandon MS Paint and get a more decent graphics program like PaintShop Pro.
You can download a free evaluation copy of PSP7.1 here
Old February 22, 2001, 22:18   #10
Masis
Warlord

GREAT!

Downloaded Paint Shop Pro trail version, works perfectly, I am now able to design my own Units that match the time period the scenario is set-which is essential!

Many Thanks to Arne-who fixed my Units and Cities Gif files-you are a genius to have understood my instructions!

His web site= http://www.civII.de

The First Crusade is coming...

------------------
MRP
Old February 22, 2001, 22:25   #11
Masis
Warlord

Current Roman-'Byzantine' Scenarios Available are to be found at= http://civ.samoht.net/civscens2.htm
Tried sending them to other site, but most are closed down, some have a limit to the storage capacity in their e-mail box!

"When you are young, do not be timid or impotent, when you are grown up, do not be argumentative,and when you are old, do not desire childish things"-Ancient Chinese saying...

------------------
MRP
Old February 25, 2001, 20:02   #12
Masis
Warlord

"For you must hasten to carry aid to your brethren dwelling in the East,
who need your help for which they have oftern entreated.

For the Turks, an eastern people, have attacked them, as many of you already know, and have advanced as far into Roman territory as that part of the Mediterranean which is called the Arm of Saint George. They have seized
more and more of the lands of the Christians, have already defeated them
in seven times as many battles, killed or captured many people, have destroyed churches, and have devastated the kingdom of God. If you allow them to continue much longer they will conquer God's faithful people much more extensively.

Wherefore with earnest prayer I, not I, but God exhorts you as heralds of Christ to repeatedly urge men of all ranks whatsoever, knights as well as foot-soldiers, rich and poor, to hasten to exterminate this vile race from our lands and to aid the Christian inhabitants in time.

I address those present; I proclaim it to those absent; moreover Christ commands it.
For all those going thither there will be remission of sins if they come to the end of this fettered life while marching by land, crossing by sea or in fighting the pagans. This I grant to all who go, through the power vested in me by God.

Oh what a disgrace if a race so despicable, degenerate, and enslaved by demons should thus overcome a people endowed with faith in Almighty God and resplendent in the name of Christ! Oh what reproaches will be charged against you by the Lord Himself if you have not helped those who are counted like yourselves of the Christian faith!

Let those...who are accustomed to wantonly wage private war against the faithful march upon the infidels in a war which should be begun now and be finished in victory. Let those who have long been robbers now be soldiers of Christ. Let those who once fought against brothers and relatives now rightfully fight against the barbarians. Let those who have been hirelings for a few pieces of silver now attain an eternal reward. Let those who have been exhausting themselves to the detriment of body and soul now labor for a double glory. Yea on the one hand will be the sad and the poor, on the other the joyous and the wealthy; here the enemies of the Lord, there His friends.

Let nothing delay those who are going to go. Let them settle their affairs, collect money, and when winter has ended and spring has come, zealously undertake the journey under the guidance of the Lord."

Fulcher of Chartres
A History of the Expedition to Jerusalem: 1095-1127,
Book I, Chapter III
translation: Frances Rita Ryan, 1969

Europe during the period of the First Crusade

That image came from Here

------------------
MRP
Old February 25, 2001, 20:50   #13
Masis
Warlord

The Emperor Nikephorus inagurated re-expansion of the Roman Empire during the 10th century AD, barely a century later though the conquests were lost to the Turks at the battle of Manazgert in 1071 AD near lake Vann eastern Anatolia.

Scene from the capture of Aleppo by Nikephorus.
More info on him can be found Here

St. Stepans crown from the Hungarian National Museum, lower part of the crown made by the Roman Emperor Maichael Dukas 1078AD.

------------------
MRP
Old February 25, 2001, 20:57   #14
Masis
Warlord

No, that definately is not the Crown of St. Stepan.
This is

"She's rich, she's beutiful, she's got huge---tracts of land" Herberts Dad telling him of the Bride he has fixed him up with-Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

------------------
MRP
Old February 25, 2001, 21:02   #15
Masis
Warlord

OH Bugger.

------------------
MRP
Old February 26, 2001, 14:20   #16
Masis
Warlord

"We attacked the city from all sides, day and night, on Wednesday and Thursday. But before we attacked the city, the bishops and priests, by preaching and exhortation, ordered everyone to hold a procession in honor of God all around the city and arranged for prayers, almsgiving, and fasting.

At dawn on Friday we attacked the city from all sides without being able to make any headway. We were all trembling and stunned. At the approach of the hour at which our Lord Jesus Christ deigned to suffer on the cross for us, our knights in the tower, namely Duke Godfrey and his brother, Count Eustace, made a fierce attack. Then one of our knights, named Lethold, climbed over the city wall. As soon as he ascended, all the city's defenders fled from the wall. Our men followed, killing and beheading them all the way to the Temple of Solomon. There was such slaughter there that our men waded in blood up to their ankles...

The emir who was in the Tower of David surrendered to the Count and opened to him the gate where pilgrims used to pay the tribute. Our pilgrims, on entering the city, pursued and slaughtered the Saracens all the way to the Temple of Solomon, where the Turks were gathered. The enemy fought most vigorously for a whole day and their blood flowed through the Temple."

Gesta Francorum et Aliorum
Hierosolymitanorum
trans. James A. Brundage, in Brundage, Crusades: A Documentary Survey, 1962

After the long-night mare trek across hostile territory, the Crusaders finally established their bases.

Here

------------------
MRP
Old February 26, 2001, 16:32   #17
Masis
Warlord

Ebb and Flow of the Roman Empire after Constantine the Great and until the Battle of Manazgert-over 700 years in itself...

further info here

------------------
MRP
Old March 6, 2001, 14:27   #18
Masis
Warlord

A few questions on setting events-just finishing of a final scenario-I have made a title gif for this scenario, but when I go to play-test it, I get the Title gif of another scenario?
I check the Title gif for the scenario I am making and it is the correct one.

------------------
MRP
Old March 6, 2001, 16:24   #19
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

the game will use the scen directory's title.gif.

I'm warning you, Masis!!! Be sure to use an adequate palette for Title.gif... wrong palettes produce strange effects, even sudden crashes.

Ps interested in an Avaric horseman pic? It's still available on my Zhanguo thread.
[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited March 06, 2001).]
Old March 6, 2001, 20:19   #20
Masis
Warlord

Having trouble finding your Zoungzou thread, and I am interested in including your Avar horseman unit in the forthcoming First Crusade scenario.
Old March 6, 2001, 20:49   #21
Masis
Warlord

Roman-'Byzantine' Scenarios can also be found Here for the Justinian scenario and Here for the subsequent era of the Roman empire, the ones made by that chap called Masis Panos.
Yes, the current version has lousy unit graphics, but I may get the time to update them.

------------------
MRP
Old March 7, 2001, 02:46   #22
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-06-2001 07:19 PM
Having trouble finding your Zoungzou thread, and I am interested in including your Avar horseman unit in the forthcoming First Crusade scenario.

On SLeague forum... aw nevermind...

Old March 7, 2001, 14:22   #23
Masis
Warlord

Your Zoungzou thread looks like its vaporised.
Never mind, I have already got some horse-archer units in my Units gif, they'll suffice.

Thank you anyway Prometeus.

------------------
MRP
Old March 24, 2001, 12:18   #24
Masis
Warlord

The Age of Alexius (1st Crusade) scenario is almost ready now to handle the tricky bugs for the events file...

------------------
MRP
Old April 12, 2001, 16:59   #25
Masis
Warlord

The Age Of Alexius (First Crusade) scenario is now available for playtesting.

To have the playablity of this game assessed by you civers is what I want.
It is still to be given embellishments like Wonder information, but is otherwise complete.
The events may have a few errors still on it, but as I say, it is available for civers to give me their opinion.

E-mail me at Khatchik@cwcom.net to playtest the new scenario

------------------
MRP
Old May 19, 2001, 20:06   #26
Masis
Warlord

Age of Alexius version1 can now be downloaded from The European Civilisation II site I expect to release at least 2 more versions forthwith! Not to mention the other updated scenarios...

------------------
MRP