Old May 20, 2001, 03:27   #1
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Mobile Missile Launchers?
Hiya - I'm further refining the Earth97 scenario that drew well-hidden acclaim here and at SLeague, and I've decided that I need a ground unit that can defend itself well against aircraft (since I've made Fighter units quite powerful). The type of unit I'm imagining might look a bit like the standard Mechanized Infantry unit, but with a missile launcher array mounted on its chassis.

Are there any budding (or fully pollinated) artists out there who would be willing to toss off a quick gif for me in this endeavor?
Old May 20, 2001, 07:15   #2
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
These are the ones currently available. Or rather these are the ones that Capt Nemo drew years ago and no-one's drawn any more since.

This is just my own personal opinion, but I think you should a greater diversity of modern units, including side specific ones. OTOH, as I said to you before, some people would surely appreciate that you can pick up the scenario and run with it because it doesn't deviate from standard civ2 too greatly.

------------------
"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on" - anon

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
Old May 21, 2001, 00:56   #3
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:15
Thanks for the units - they're just what I've been looking for! (And they're much better than the "adequate" unit I cobbled together from a Mech Inf crossbred with a T.I.G.U.R. unit.)

The scenario does have a few side-specific units, but they're meant to be very small and generally represent militia of slightly different capabilities, eg the Indians and Chinese have such enormous populations that they can practically levy a defense force with minimal costs, for weak but effective 4/4/1 units to guard cities etc.

The really powerful stuff I prefer to keep universal, and only restrict in terms of actual technological acquisition. So the US, the EU, Russia, and China are the only ones to own any Nuclear weapons, but that then places the onus on the other factions to try to steal or discover the tech for themselves and thus gain parity. This is close to the actual state.

I couldn't really think of any faction specific units that really presented themselves. As far as I gather, the Americans are the present leaders in technology, but whatever they come up with tends to slowly disseminate around the world, frequently going direct to the British, or heading towards China and Russia through sales to smaller nations eg Taiwan, Israel.
Old May 27, 2001, 21:19   #4
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
You may also want to check these units:
http://freehosting2.at.webjump.com/7...oredUnits.html

and there's more at this site in the accessories section:
http://c2c.webjump.com/

There's some here as well:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...s/3599/arm.htm
It's part of this site:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare...9/civ2unit.htm
Old May 30, 2001, 16:44   #5
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:15
How about mobile nukes
When I first saw the "mobile missile launcher" I thought you meant land-based ICBM nuke trucks. Can land units be made to carry missiles? I think if you set the Carry Air and Submarine advantages/disadvantages flags on you could get something like those trucks the USSR had.

If you want me to make a pic of that email me.
Old May 30, 2001, 19:03   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
Re: How about mobile nukes
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Can land units be made to carry missiles?
Yes and no. Whilst land units with the carry aircraft/missiles tag can act as safe landing grounds for missiles and aircraft, when the land unit moves any 'embarked' air units won't move with it.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old June 3, 2001, 11:37   #7
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:15
So what happens to them, do they crash and die, or can you move them subsequently to where the land unit moved?
Old June 3, 2001, 19:04   #8
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
Yep, you can move them. However this takes up the missiles entire turn.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon