Old November 20, 2001, 22:33   #1
Altuar
Warlord

Local Time: 12:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
All those who bash the game..
..are more than welcome to board my Space Ship scheduled for launch in 1947 to Alpha Centauri. No, once you go, you cant come back.

Ah, this nice vessel is my first victory on Emperor. The game has been incredible from start to finish. I was the English and almost lost my entire kindgom twice, once in 5th century BC and once again in the great war of 1702. But in the end I launched my SS with the Egyptians and Germans having 9(1)/10 on their spaceships! Small maps are much better...

Incredible!
Amazing!
Never thought AI could play this well....
Old November 20, 2001, 22:41   #2
ham50
Settler

Local Time: 17:12
One thing people probably don't like is that they can't expand as quickly as they could in Civ2, I hated that also, but once you get past the start and get a few cities things start to speed up. One thing though, it seems impposible to up the research rate to where the amount of time it takes to research goes down without my income going negative.
Old November 20, 2001, 22:43   #3
n.c.
Emperor

Thanks, but we are already here.
-Lady Deirdre Sky
Old November 20, 2001, 22:55   #4
Altuar
Warlord

Glad to have sent you tree-huggers where you cant do us harm. By the way, has anyone observed the AI using cannons/arty offensively?
Old November 20, 2001, 23:01   #5
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 18:12
ham, i think you're bang on the money, a lot of the ICSers who spent years moaning the AI in Civ2 was poor are now moaning that the Civ3 AI puts cities down indiscriminatly!

i've played Civ for 8 years or so and can (usually) win at diety, but i've played 5 or so games of Civ3 and i'm getting my arse kicked on regent level and i love it!

they do need to sort out corruption though!!
Old November 20, 2001, 23:31   #6
kittenOFchaos
Prince

I'm not getting kicked (Monarch level, real world map by modders and historic civ starting places) but I am mourning the loss of a size 11 city of mine to culture (the year is 400 A.D and I'll well pissed off that Britain has not access to saltpeter because my man-of-war is nearly invented!)
Old November 21, 2001, 00:17   #7
D4everman
Prince

True....I just gave up a game as the germans because I could see the writing on the wall. I played with 8 rival civs and i relearned a lesson...

YOU CAN'T BE A TOTAL BASTARD TO EVERYONE. I wasn't even going for a domination victory. I just wanted to build, and I thought the germans were fun. (having spent half of my military career in Germany) I refused to share tech unless I got a really good deal (read: I was ahead slightly due to the Great Library and I asked for lotsa gold andlixuries for any tech...so I guess that translates into I turned down the AI's offer a lot) I ignored the rival civs, trying to gobble up known resources and I stationed troops at all of my borders.

I had no friends. Soon the russians started to build cities with some intelligence...they halted my expansion. The English did the same and they moved a lot of troops near my lightly guarded new cities. The russians quickly beelined to gunpowder and got it just before me and the saltpeter was was in unclaimed toerritory. They seized it and began threatening me. Then they joined with the Iroquis and to kill me! And the english joyfully jumped in! Instead of being upset, I was glad...The AI didn't treat me unfairly...these civs acted like a group of real people would. I was turning into a threat and they joined to stop the threat. ('cuz if I got the saltpeter first, the english were done for. )

Theres still problems with the game and the AI can be beaten...(I've done it, but I only play at lower levels.) but Civ3 is a good game. I think we should give firaxis the benefit of the doubt. If they suppoert the game and patch mistakes it could set a standard that CTP never even tried to match.
Old November 21, 2001, 00:31   #8
reds4ever
Prince

D4, trade techs even if you're not getting a good deal, it's still a tech you've got that you wouldn't have got otherwise
Old November 21, 2001, 15:49   #9
Altuar
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
I'm not getting kicked (Monarch level, real world map by modders and historic civ starting places) but I am mourning the loss of a size 11 city of mine to culture (the year is 400 A.D and I'll well pissed off that Britain has not access to saltpeter because my man-of-war is nearly invented!)
Historic civ starting places? This is fixed in the UK release?
Old November 21, 2001, 15:56   #10
zapperio
Warlord

I'm pretty sure you can fix starting places. But you can't fix who starts where, so it is basically useless for scenarios.

Zap