Old November 21, 2001, 05:04   #1
Alf115
Settler

Local Time: 18:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Golden Age : what trigger ?
Has anyone figured yet what does trigger Golden Age for each Civ. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old November 21, 2001, 05:29   #2
JayKay
Warlord

Local Time: 17:13
The Golden Age is trigged when one of the following situations arise: (the first)
- One of your special units win a combat;
- You build a Great Wonder that has the abilities of your civ.

Aldo i've trigged the Golden Age both ways, i'm not sure that the Golden Age will always be trigged by building a Great Wonder that has the abilities of your civ. I'm saying this, because in the game i trigged the GA by wonder, i'd already build a lot of them, and none gave me the GA!

I'm not sure also, if it's necessary to build Great Wonder(s) that satisfactes both your civ abilities, or that satisfactes only one of your civ abilities!!

I think the GA by Wonder is a little random - it may occur, but there's not 100% sure it will happen!

I'm not sure too, if you can have both GA in the same game (one by wonder, the other by special unit) or even if you can have more GA trigged the same way the first one was! (i think that the GA by special unit victory can only happen once, or i'll know it, because i've tried a lot, but with no effect)

Let's see if someone has more information!

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)
Old November 21, 2001, 05:42   #3
Kekkonen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:13
I think you can have at most one Golden Age per civ per game, period. And you don't necessarily get any; last night (playing too late as usual) I got to the final stages of a game as the Russians, who are expansionistic and scientific. The world saltpeter market was practically cornered by my arch-enemy Otto von Bismarck, so I didn't get any. So, no cossacks for me. I also got beat in building the Copernicus and Newton wonders (by a total of 3 turns!), so no GA from that direction. I was researching computers as I quit the game; I assume the SETI Project can trigger GA for a scientific civ.
Old November 21, 2001, 05:45   #4
Peoux
Settler

You can only have one Golden Age. It will be triggered by one of the two situations just described by the previous poster: A unique unit winning a battle against another civilization (not barbarians) OR building either a wonder with both traits corresponding with your civilization traits or two wonders that together cover the two traits of your civilization.

Whichever of these conditions happens first will trigger the Golden Age, and the Wonder condition does indeed always work, there is no random factor in that.
You will not get a second Golden Age by having the second condition fulfilled later.
Old November 21, 2001, 05:45   #5
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kekkonen
I think you can have at most one Golden Age per civ per game, period. And you don't necessarily get any; last night (playing too late as usual) I got to the final stages of a game as the Russians, who are expansionistic and scientific. The world saltpeter market was practically cornered by my arch-enemy Otto von Bismarck, so I didn't get any. So, no cossacks for me. I also got beat in building the Copernicus and Newton wonders (by a total of 3 turns!), so no GA from that direction. I was researching computers as I quit the game; I assume the SETI Project can trigger GA for a scientific civ.
Yes, no GA in a game can happen!

But your wrong about the SETI! It may trigger a GA for an expansionist civ!

Portugal
Old November 21, 2001, 05:53   #6
JayKay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Peoux
You can only have one Golden Age. It will be triggered by one of the two situations just described by the previous poster: A unique unit winning a battle against another civilization (not barbarians) OR building either a wonder with both traits corresponding with your civilization traits or two wonders that together cover the two traits of your civilization.

Whichever of these conditions happens first will trigger the Golden Age, and the Wonder condition does indeed always work, there is no random factor in that.
You will not get a second Golden Age by having the second condition fulfilled later.
So...with this settle down, we'd better get the most out of the GA, since it's even more valuable, once it happens only once!

Portugal
Old November 21, 2001, 06:14   #7
Peoux
Settler

Yes, the Golden Age is really really nice
The increased production is very nifty, though I haven't yet managed to decide if it's better early in the game or late - though if you can't produce a Golden Age early in the game playing one of the civs with an ancient era unique unit, you'll have a hard time building the wonder(s) needed later once your UU is useless. At least the "modern" civs with unique units appearing later in the game can have a chance of triggering the GA that way even if they are struggling in the wonder race.

One piece of advice though: Don't change government during your Golden Age! I made that mistake in my first game, playing as the Persians. I built a wonder and triggered the Golden Age, and the increased commerce gave me enough research to get the Republic - and stupid me clicked Yes to start the revolution. Six years later I finally emerged from Anarchy, and three turns after that my Golden Age ended. Six turns of increased commerce and production, down the drain
Old November 21, 2001, 06:51   #8
Kekkonen
Warlord

Local Time: 19:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Peoux
One piece of advice though: Don't change government during your Golden Age! I made that mistake in my first game, playing as the Persians. I built a wonder and triggered the Golden Age, and the increased commerce gave me enough research to get the Republic - and stupid me clicked Yes to start the revolution. Six years later I finally emerged from Anarchy, and three turns after that my Golden Age ended. Six turns of increased commerce and production, down the drain
Heh. I'm pretty sure that is something many of us have done. Once.

Yes, in my first full-lenght game the Roman Legions won me a GA, which got me the Republic, which got me 6 turns of anarchy...