Old January 17, 2002, 10:51   #451
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 17:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Then there would be 3 instances, the one that I was refeering to was the one with Captin Garth of Izar. He was on a nutcase penal colony with a plantery shield and had Kirk caputred, on board the Enterprise they were trying to figure out how to brin the shield down, and it was stated they would have to fire at the weakest part of the shiled on the other side of the planet, but Spock replies, that the backlash from such firepower would destory the entire plantery surrface and the colony.
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2002, 02:10   #452
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

I'm just trying to get some nice ground combat going in the nice tradition of The Empire Strikes Back. Wasn't it cool that the Empire simply couldn't blast the rebel base from orbit and return before lunch.
Hoth didn't had planetary shields.

Quote:
I don't think that many of the factions would be paying attention to the UN charter too much when they are spread so far out. The Spartans wouldn't anyway. If they could destroy a city from space, and avoid having to land troops, they wouldn't care too much about what a piece of paper says light years away. They would simply blast every single city and building on a planet. And this is mostly for the benifit of outlying planets and colonies anyway. Can any of the factions afford to spread fleets out to cover all their territories? Syrma may be well defended, but smaller colonies may not be. Sol may be defended, but there may not be a fleet in sight for the protection of Capella. But like I said. If no one wants shields then that is cool with me. Cause the Spartans will be content to invade every small outpost and destroy them in a planet hopping campaign.

May be hard to really pay attention to the little stuff, but I know the Peacekeepers and Drones would make a big deal of.... and major atrocities like bombarding the entire populated planets will be notice and can't hide that.

sooo.... wouldn't it be waste to trash the place? I can understand CONVENTIONAL bombarment to nock out planetary defences... but to use Fission/Fusion bombs would be such a waste...even anything stronger. then, is the Spartans genocidal and dishonorable, as well as lazy?

anyway, want shields, figure out the proper techs for them...and planetary wide shields will take way to much power.....so better off with facility wide defence fields...........

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, don't want shields :P

-LMP