Old November 30, 2001, 15:06   #91
[LordLMP]

Re: Don't forget the Hive!...acutally, fuggetaboutum
Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
Hello everyone,

I've been thinking, with Sprayber's help, that the Hive faction should be as secretive as possible. The only faction that thinks they know the Hive is the Gaian faction...as they are the only ones inside Hive space.

Keeping with newly crowned Emperor Yang's suspicion of the other factions, his home planet and system would be unknown to the other factions. I was thinking that the Spartan's would know generally where Hive space started, but not know what was in Hive space.....kind of like the Vorlons in Bablyon 5. What do you guys all think?
Hive may of ended going deep space and don't control an habitable world.... ways to stay secretive is to spread thin, have little colonies all over the place at odd places. So the Chironians by the 2500s lost track of the Hive and don't know what happened to them. the Gaians could also sort of secretive and mysterious themselves, keep more to themselves....yet still have holdings on Chiron, so sort of rebuild the ecological damage the factions as caused to Planet. Hive and Gaians could be the two odd balls of the Factions Cyborgs would also be mysterious....only know holdings of theirs would be Chiron and various FTL Comm centers and satellites at various places. Also lately started building jump gates all over th place? sling shots ships to another system. Cyborgs also ones placing a lot of beacons and rumoured to be spying on ftl comm traffic. Cyborgs not very talkative and largely ignored :P just ideas

pirates and data angels would be band of renegades in a way. Morganites and Free Drone the big industrial and corporate workhorses.... Spartans and Peacekeepers the bigger militaristic factions. Cult mainly stuck on Chiron.

-LMP
Old November 30, 2001, 15:11   #92
[LordLMP]

Re: Dang Spartans...
Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
I also like the additional Spartan timeline...wait, no I don't! (joke) I like the way you put up those accursed space stations

Nah, well whoever is the Free Drone Republic, is Foreman Domai still in the picture or is he out of it?

Oh yeah, is anyone the Believers or is the author part-timing like Alynzia is with the Gaians?

completly forgot about the believers....they probably not a big player...and most of their holdings on Chiron. They could have smarting up and are not so fanatical, but do travel the stars among other factions as Priests and so on, Missionaries.... to spread the modern neo-christianity, in a loving open minded wisdom way. considered odd, but oh well. the futuristic shamens

-LMP
Old November 30, 2001, 15:27   #93
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by [LordLMP]
Cybergod, Titan in reality as a good chance to have a jungle like ecosystem. SO not another dull cratered moon. If it as plants, also a possibility of having its own atmosphere filled with oxygen.
If so, Titan will most likely be the second/third place to be colonized after Mars and maybe Luna. So the idea of having a mining community on a greenish jungle like moon? When i hear and see Titan, i imagine a jungle like moon....
Jungle? On Titan, a moon of Saturn? Excuse me but if the temperature on Mars is just bellow 0 degrees Celsius, what makes you think that on a moon of Saturn. which is many more times away, and where the Sun is just one of the brighter stars in the sky, where almost half of the time Sun will be over-shadowed by Saturn, you'd find fledging jungles?!? Maybe you were thinking of a silicone-based lifeform but that was too futuristic for me to mention Also, oxygen is such a precious element we ourselves would never have had if the plants didn't evolve photosynthesis (which again depends on the Sun) .

Titan has an atmosphere of methane and not oxygen. As seem on Nasa's website at http://sse.jpl.nasa.gov/features/pla...urn/titan.html

Click on it to check up the facts

Quote:
No teams please... Terran ALliance is comprised of factions in Sol, but no civil war type teams. Major Terran factions is Earth Coalition and Mars Combine...then InEn.
Ok, I thought that I would go wrong there . But surely there must be some slight power shifts and diplomatic dislikes in the "alliance"? NATO itself would have broken up if it hadn't undertaken the Kosovo war to boost it's public support - the organisation is just a remaint of a Cold War! Anyways, back to On-Topic...

And I wasn't planning any "god-like" beings! That was just one of my fiction works inspired by an idea while I was thinking about the Progenitors! I may have had some thoughts of asking to do them but I no longer do since, when I finish the story, they do not wish to involve themselves with no primitive creations of the "Entity" or the "Flame", except their children, which are only just about technologically advanced as humans (probably a different tech-tree ). Anyways, forget about that stuff now...

So what kind of governement has been determined for Titan and Rhea? And what kind of leader do you want me to write about?

Old November 30, 2001, 18:32   #94
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 20:14
Quote:
kass, if they can colonize venus, they should be able to colonize Mercury, but depend on the use of radiation shields and etc...
I somehow came up that Mercury does not have anything valuable to make use of. Actually, I was originally too tired to invent anything for the place and it stayed that way. Can do anything with the place. Have a stellar research station or etc.

Quote:
Kass, another thing would like to mention.... You mention sol being against genetic/cyborg manipulation.....well, Scions use to be humans..... if the Terran Alliance have policies like that, then they would make the Scions outlaws. and the Belters wouldn't care either
Oh, yes. Whoopsidaisie.
Umm, actually, I thinked that maybe longevity treatments should be banned, or atleast unaccessable to a majority of the population. Because it would either be that or birth control. Otherwise Earth pop would skyrocket and make the infrastructure go down on it's knees. Earth is crowded enough already, about ten billion people over there. They can't colonize other systems so have extra people inhabit, and building SSSH's isn't cheap at all.

Btw, you can get the Terran timeline up IMO - It's the revision 3 I posted already.
Nice website - Simple is beautiful. I wanted to scrape up my site from nil, just for challenge. And something to brag about to "mundanes"
Could you link my BAC section to your site?

personal.phpoint.net/nortti/bac.htm

Oh, and it's updated! For detailed info about Sol, TA, EC or InEn, visit my site.

Btw, you people still have not commented on my ship design proposal!

Quote:
So what kind of governement has been determined for Titan and Rhea? And what kind of leader do you want me to write about?
As a leader (personality, sex, age, looks, whatever) it's your call.
What I had in mind for off planet colonies is a somewhat unstrict regime, which is not too heavily depended on Earth bureaucracy. The trend started when the Centralized Planetary Party (Isolationist Xenophobes) ruled for a decade or two, and continued even after Democratic Union stepping in power. Governers can be a nuisance sometimes, I think, but keep sending in their production quotas back to Earth, even if just to keep a steady flow of cheap nutrients and other commodities.
The governor (or director, or whatever the title will be, does not matter to me) is almost like a small president of the colony(ies). Rhea is such a small place that it could be under the same governer as Titan.
I'm not interfering with Titan physics - But I do know that it's methane up there. It could be perused for energy production or whatnot. In 2700's people sill probably be even able to make dust a natural resource

God I'm tired. Friggin' school
EDIT: It's been December for 32 mins now. Better start seeking an Xmas smiley

Last edited by Kassiopeia; November 30, 2001 at 18:39.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2001, 23:22   #95
[LordLMP]

The biggest thing in Titan's sky is Saturn and the Gas giant does indeed would reflect a lot of light...so photosynthesis right there. After plants evolve on the moon, which doesn't have to be green, it produces oxygen. By providing that link, i am even more convinced that Titan as good possibility of life...which doesn't have to be Earth like, which would be ignorant thinking. And since Voyager 1 couldn't penetrate the atmosphere visually and a lot of the information is practicly guess work by NASA. SO the facts posted there isn't complete and probably not accurate. That is why they are sending more probes and planning to drop surface probes on the moon.

So i know what i am talking about bud and the idea to have mining operations doesn't make sence...unless Titan is just the gathering place for miners who mine Saturn's ring or the other moons.

Hey, that ewok moon orbits a gas giant and life was sprung. This is science FICTION, base on reality. In my opinion, my view of Titan isn't that far fetch. Just the green part i am wrong...but isn't written somewhere we can't have orange plants.....

can't see what we can mix fiction and whatever available facts to create something like Firaxis did with Alpha Centauri. Wouldn't be fun to go Alpha Centauri in real life and not find a planet that isn't habitable.

another thing, if Voyager 1 couldn't see the surface or land on titan (wasn't design for that), that means they can only guess the temperature...or their temp is of the atmosphere, not the surface temp. Hey, venus is hoot lot hotter then Mercury and Mercury is closer to the Sun.

-LMP

Quote:
Originally posted by Cybergod

Jungle? On Titan, a moon of Saturn? Excuse me but if the temperature on Mars is just bellow 0 degrees Celsius, what makes you think that on a moon of Saturn. which is many more times away, and where the Sun is just one of the brighter stars in the sky, where almost half of the time Sun will be over-shadowed by Saturn, you'd find fledging jungles?!? Maybe you were thinking of a silicone-based lifeform but that was too futuristic for me to mention Also, oxygen is such a precious element we ourselves would never have had if the plants didn't evolve photosynthesis (which again depends on the Sun) .

Titan has an atmosphere of methane and not oxygen. As seem on Nasa's website at http://sse.jpl.nasa.gov/features/pla...urn/titan.html

Click on it to check up the facts

Ok, I thought that I would go wrong there . But surely there must be some slight power shifts and diplomatic dislikes in the "alliance"? NATO itself would have broken up if it hadn't undertaken the Kosovo war to boost it's public support - the organisation is just a remaint of a Cold War! Anyways, back to On-Topic...
Hello, there is all of the above, which was the point and why there is "factions" in the Terran Alliance

Quote:
And I wasn't planning any "god-like" beings! That was just one of my fiction works inspired by an idea while I was thinking about the Progenitors! I may have had some thoughts of asking to do them but I no longer do since, when I finish the story, they do not wish to involve themselves with no primitive creations of the "Entity" or the "Flame", except their children, which are only just about technologically advanced as humans (probably a different tech-tree ). Anyways, forget about that stuff now...
okay, just don't want to see the game way to far fetch like some Total Annihilation story game at another forum

Quote:
Your choice, but i simply can't see Titan an mining moon, which as highest chances after Earth to carry life of anykind. Also see Titan more of an resort

make some story that they declare independence some Earth Coalition, which they don't like and was about to send a fleet....but almost the rest of the Terran Alliance opposes. SO maybe coalition try to regain Titan covertly and so on....have some huge scandal

-LMP
Old December 1, 2001, 02:03   #96
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 12:14
Cant Titan have some mines .

Maybe, just maybe. You can write it up as the people of Titan do not want more mines on the moon disturbing the fragile ecosystem that is there. And that is how they come to rebel or change their government. just a helpful suggestion...

LMP. It doesn't matter but if for some reason you are gone and i need to change something that it might be good to be able to. And don't worry, im not a master web artist myself. lol.

BTW

i got a site too but just with Spartan stuff. Im a sucker for details sometimes.

http://www.geocities.com/hydro070/BA...?1006845883400
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2001, 04:03   #97
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 07:14
Greater Hive Empire facts...
Ok folks!

I've decided that everything said about the Greater Hive Empire (the old Human Hive) will remain "concrete". NOTHING will change until the story starts. So whatever I have said, or others said about us ....*ahem* ....Sprayber just joking

This is so Sprayber has at least one permanent timeline/faction to use as a focal point for the other factions. I'm trying to not sound like a power monger but I think I'm just shooting myself in the foot.

So, to sum up Greater Hive Empire events....

Human Hive is now Greater Hive Empire

Chairman Yang is now Emperor Yang

5 races make up the Hive Empire: Human, Bulwark, Tarlak, Xiero, and Fran

Gaian/Hive relationship at unofficial alliance...they inhabit a moon in Hive Home System.

Home System is unknown by other factions and location cannot be obtained easily

Bree-Hive relationship good....to say the least

Hive-Spartan relationship... "rocky"

Morgan-Hive relationship...neutral

Hive-Sol system relationship...nonexistent......Hive hasn't been in contact yet.

No other factions except Gaians have been in Hive space...except for the Spartan invasion fleet which was turned away by Bree.

This is all I can think of right now, but I'm not going to change what I've said about the Hive so that there is some sort of "permanence" to the timeline and events...at least in my half of the galaxy.

...........Sorry if this sounds too dictatorial!
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2001, 05:43   #98
Sprayber
Emperor

Sounds ok to me It's your faction after all

Have you read the hive history on chiron? I tried to be vague but supply some details. I wrote it out pretty much the first or second day this started back when no one wanted the Hive.

everyone should take a look at it and see if they would like to add something important about their faction or thinks something is wrong. cause like i said it was written early in the process.

Ill even be nice and copy it hear.

Qustions?, Comments, Smart Remarks?

This is mainly for the Chiron factions

2221-Progenators Land on Alpha Centauri

2301-Combined Spartan-Pirate-Peacekeeper-Hive armies overrun the last Progenitor stronghold. Conqueror Marr interred in a punishment sphere. University instrumental in providing technological support to Human Alliance.

2303-Morganites-Gaians-Believers are given back lands formerly liberated by Human armies.

2336-Universty and Morgans become the first factions to colonize Nessus and Pholus.

2354-Spartan and Hive forces attempt take over of Nessus mining operations.

2355-Moon Accords are finalized allowing Spartan and Hive to mine small portion of Nessus.

2379-Unversity scientist field first prototype FTL drive.

2381-Improved version of FTL drive is completed. Data Angel probes steal design for first prototype drive. Information is spread across Chiron.

2382-Spartans and Hive threaten war if all information on the new FTL is not released.

2384-University is forced to release information but withholds vital specifications about minerals need to power the drive. At least four different ores are found to work but University only mentions Kalciate as mineral needed.

2388-Peacekeepers attempt to get the factions to agree on equal shares of the FTL drive technology. Spartans and University refuse to cooperate with each other. The Hive-Spartan alliance crumbles and the two factions start small scale fighting. University is relieved of the Spartan Hive threat.

2390-University, with Morgan financial backing, produced the first fully operational FTL ship.

2399-Morgan and University begin production on Colony and Mining ships.

2400-Spartans and Hive launch separate attacks on University territory. Peacekeepers intervene on behalf of the University.

2401-Spartans launch first space attack on a University-Morgan space station. Two completed FTL ships are captured.

2402-Ceasefire is declared and peace returns to Chiron. FTL treaty is signed.

2406-Cyborg Scientists prefect first FTL Comm device. Information is shared to all factions but gets little fanfare initially. (Cyborgs will always seem to be able to communicate better than every other human faction.)

2417-Morgans move their headquarters off of Chiron and become the first faction to leave Chiron. They retain a few assets on Chiron and Nessus, But majority of Morgan employees move with Headquarters.

2420-University sets up their headquarters off world as well. Find out of the way planet to continue research. They maintain relations with Morganites and Peacekeepers.

2424-Spartans join exodus off planet. They wonder for years to find the right planet to take.

2428-Spartans land at Spartan Point on a planet they name Sparta.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 1, 2001, 12:03   #99
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 11:14
Everything's ok with me. We Morganites do not tend to seek war, you know. It's only when our blood is spilled by invaders that we do so. That's why we can't stand InEn, for example. When war comes, if it does, between Sparta and the Drones and the Peacekeepers, the Hive, and possibly the Gaians, we shall only support our allies through increased weapon trade, unless one of our Morganite citizens is killed. So it'll be more like Spartans-Drones (and superior Morgan weaponry) vs. Hive-Peacekeepers-Gaians. Unless we ourselves are attacked, and if that happens we shall send our small, but elite army out to our attackers, and neutrality will be dissolved on our part.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2001, 18:12   #100
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Sounds good...
The early timeline sounds good. The beginning launch of Morgan might be off (I'm not exactly sure) but it basically sounds good....

On Behalf of Emperor Yang the timeline corresponds rather nicely with the Hive timeline.

the year 2400 sounds good, the Peacekeeper-Hive truce could be signed at the end of the year.
Old December 1, 2001, 18:41   #101
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
make some story that they declare independence some Earth Coalition, which they don't like and was about to send a fleet....but almost the rest of the Terran Alliance opposes. SO maybe coalition try to regain Titan covertly and so on....have some huge scandal

-LMP
I like that one. Nice stirup. And EC could not have InEn help it, since EC won't help InEn (With Morgans). Intrigue incoming...
Old December 1, 2001, 18:46   #102
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia

I somehow came up that Mercury does not have anything valuable to make use of. Actually, I was originally too tired to invent anything for the place and it stayed that way. Can do anything with the place. Have a stellar research station or etc.

---------------------------------------------------
Btw, you people still have not commented on my ship design proposal!

My nearest planet to Syrma just has a few hab domes for a garrison and a few scientist. It's roughly equal to mercury, maybe a little bigger.

I like your ship designs. Pretty much the standard that most will follow. I don't know how much the Spartans will utilized fighters just yet.

and if we want, we can all link to each others sites. I don't mind and it would make it easier for everyone to get around.

I would just like to thank everyone for the effort that has been put into this. You guys, and ladies, have really made a simple idea come to life.
Old December 1, 2001, 19:06   #103
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Oh. Yes. I added a little footnote to Mercury, about a small research station. Studies stellar mass and solar winds, radiation levels and whatnot.
(The fighters are there, 'cuz I want my starfuries! )

Question:

How "big" should ships be? A US Aircraft Carrier is over 300 m (roughly 900 ft) long... Hows that for the length of a scout? Or a corvette?
How about the other extreme, Dreadnaught? A kilometre (over 3000 ft)? More? Less?
Btw, if I can't find good enough graphics from web, prepare yourselves to some horrid Paint-drawn schematics
Old December 1, 2001, 20:04   #104
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Oh. Yes. I added a little footnote to Mercury, about a small research station. Studies stellar mass and solar winds, radiation levels and whatnot.
(The fighters are there, 'cuz I want my starfuries! )

Question:

How "big" should ships be? A US Aircraft Carrier is over 300 m (roughly 900 ft) long... Hows that for the length of a scout? Or a corvette?
How about the other extreme, Dreadnaught? A kilometre (over 3000 ft)? More? Less?
Btw, if I can't find good enough graphics from web, prepare yourselves to some horrid Paint-drawn schematics
I've been searching for stuff like that and I have some possibilities. The problem is that they are scattered all over and most are Star Trek and Star Wars. But there are some sites out there. Ill post some later if i find anything good.
Old December 1, 2001, 20:32   #105
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Ok, but I still want to know how long the Coalition Dreadnaught will be. 1000 m? 1500 m? (It's trivial, but it's good for comparing ship classes. Scout is x metres long, so Dreadnaught must be a whopping ship since it is 60x metres long)
Old December 1, 2001, 21:15   #106
[LordLMP]

Okay, as anyone played Total Annihilation or Metal Fatigue? In those games, they depend on energy, as they have the ability to convert energy into matter. Actually, if we are going to be using some high SMAC techs, Energy will be important...
think about it...if you can create matter out of pure energy, then Energy will be important. Once that ability is gained, makes mining operations practicly obsolete. And if you are quite advance in the field of nanotechnology and matter/antimatter conversion, then you can easily contruct anything.

So there is still a way for an Economy to depend on Energy, as well on Resources in general. No credit dealing or banks...as it is hard to maintain such a thing in space. So would depend bater, or semi-barter trade system, around Energy and Resource Units (matter).

Chiron FTL generally powered by Antimatter. because of that, Antimatter is mass produced, as fuel.... which the Morganites corners the market in.... to produce antimatter, you require a lot of energy. So having solar collectors or whatever to produce energy could be quite important and valueble, while also infinite
For some nomadic/semi-nomadic factions like the Pirates, they use ramscoops to gather space matter, converting it into antimatter. Can't produce as much antimatter like Energy to Antimatter...but pirate ships won't be stuck in space with no more antimatter to fuel their FTL drive. Some Chiron factions may try to research in ways to convert Antimatter into matter, in large scale....so they wouldn't need to mine for resources anymore and get the Gaians on their back for ruining some environments

Sol FTL is different slighty, bit lower tech compare to Chiron FTL...their FTL depends on some rare minerals mainly found among the asteroid belt and on Venus (Venus ones is purer). but those resources are limited and don't create as much power as Antimatter gives to Chiron FTL. So the research facilities on Mercury could play a big role in researching in ways to artificially produce the FTL mineral using radiation/energy.... energy to matter, without realizing that the Antimatter they are producing to use to convert into their FTL mineral could be use to power the FTL without needing the mineral.
The Scions could be a key in providing the nescesary technology to produce matter out of Energy(Antimatter). hey, they are using energy to reproduce their Biometal(yet still don't know how the stuff works despite knowing how to use it ) and using their advance nanotechnology to use biometal to contruct stuff. Also, Venus never gave out how found and acquired their pure FTL minerals

Should mention what your factions unique or/and specialize techs are yet be bit specific, so no specialize in weapons in general or specialize in armor in general, etc....

list of examples:

Morganite: Antimatter technology
University: FTL technology
Cyborgs: subspace communication technology
Pirates: ramscoop technology, space construction, scavanging,
Drones: industrial automation, robotics, (hey, isn't there androids on their homeworld?)
Gaians: terraforming, biotechnology, bioengineering, psionics,

Scions: biometal, nanotechnology, biotechnology
Belters: space survival, scavenging, resource gathering,
Venus: plasma weaponry, ship construction, high pressure domes, high pressure construction, powerful STL engines,

etc......

As for ship sizes, here we go:

Fighter: 10-50m
Scout: 50-100m
Corvette: 100-200m
Frigate: 200-300m
Destroyer: 300-400m
Light Cruiser: 400-500m
Cruiser: 500-750m
Heavey Cruiser: 750-1000m
Battlercruiser: 1000-1500m
Battleship: 1500-2000m
Dreadnought: 2000-3000m
Super Dreadnought: 3000-5000m

Light Carrier: 500-1000m
Carrier: 1000-2000m
Heavy Carrier: 2000-3000m

Fraal Motherships are around 30-50 kilometres
(shaped almost like a football, with an unknown type of STL engine...inertional maybe)
Fraal saucer scouts are around 50-100m
Fraal triangular scouts are around 300m (most common Fraal ship seen)

Sizes may need revision before the game starts, so what do you people think? I will link to yours sites if you wish, but use the one i created as the focal point. Will also place structure texts and a glossary.

-LMP

Last edited by ; December 1, 2001 at 21:26.
Old December 2, 2001, 01:05   #107
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Okay, visible question first. Domai is gone, packed off to some estate to write his memoirs.

And by the way, when is this thing starting?
Old December 2, 2001, 09:08   #108
Cybergod
Prince

OK, then I'll write about a weird and wonderful eco-system on Titan, although people thought they'd find paradise bellow Venus' clouds - we'll see what is REALLY on Titan in 2004 (when Cassini finally reaches Saturn) .

OK, a multi-ethnic colony, consisted of a couple of millions of people living there. On Titan itself, people live in Bio/Pressure/Habitation-Domes, producing GM food and slowly terraforming the atmosphere to make it more Earth-like (the pressure at the surface is estimated to be 60% bigger than on Earth so people are advised at least a proper helmet with a respirator, which simulates photosynthesis in plants, converting CO2 from our breath into O2 which we can rebreathe. The skies are mostly yellow during the day, turning purple in the evenings and dark at nights, very few stars dominating the night sky due to dense atmosphere. Few artificial Solar Reflectors are in place in orbit, helping light reach Titan during the night cycles, when Saturn overshadows the Sun. Titan Governor is in charge of both Titan and Rhea colonies (population on Rhea is bellow one million) and enjoys a small autonomy from the Terran homeworld (much like Mars), within the coalition, to stop Terra building up a huge bureocracy (lots of B-drones ). Many Titanians object to the xenophobia of Earth and felt deep compasion with the Belters during the brutal attack on them. Therefore, during the rule of the Centalized Planetary Party (CPP), opressive governors were appointed to Titan to quell the unhappy citizens. The desinies of those governors were either being assasinated, killed in action, resigning or joining the rebels (more on the "Nova Saturna" resistance movement later on). After the arrival of DUE to power a less opressive governor was appointed: Colonial Magistrate Nicholas Popullos who was a former Martian Foreign Secretary (I will give his background in the character thread). The Saturnian colonies are running Democratic/Planned/Wealth/Eudaimonic SE choices - but they will switch to Knowledge later on. Speciality of Saturnians is the flexibility, adaptability and intelectual talent of the people of the colonies (ie. "TALENT, 4, IMMUNITY, MORALE").

The "Nova Saturna" Movement has been founded ever since the Earth Coallition nuked the Belters, when many people all over the Sol system protested against such violence. The current CPP governor nerve-stapled the whole Titan colony and the incident was covered-up. Ever since, renegade Martians, Belters or even Terrans have travelled to Titan to helpthe rebellion. The leader of the rebels is Anna Sanches (more on her later) and her motives are revenge since her whole family was nerve-stapled infront of her eyes, when she was a todler (she herself was rescued by a rebel). She is like a Titan cross between Santiago ad Sinder Roze .

Happy with this?

Hey guys, I've been thinking - what about a new religion? Do you seriously think society would be the same in 700 years? Hear me out on this one...

Religion name: Vassion
Founded: During the "time of rebuilding" after WW3.
Founder: Brother Nathan Ramses
Philosphies: Sacredness of all life, cycle of rebirth and karma, principles of both Jesus and Buddha, pacifism, space expansion and development of knowledge thoughout the human race
Similar Religions: Christianity, Buddhism and Humanism
Percentage of Humanity: over 50% (suggestions?)
Most Followers: Mars over 80% (and most outer colonies)
Least Followers: Earth bellow 20% (many old age religions are there still firmly established)

What do you think?

BTW I really like the websites you people put up - keep it going!

Best regards,

Nicholas Popullos
Saturn Colonial Magistate

Diplomacy Landscape:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	titan.gif
Views:	32
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	6887  
Old December 2, 2001, 16:23   #109
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
enjoys a small autonomy from the Terran homeworld (much like Mars),

Mars is independent! It is in no way whatsoever dependent of Earth! It's not autonomius, it's independent.

*thinks that he should draw a Terran political chart to clarify everything out*

Quote:
The "Nova Saturna" Movement has been founded ever since the Earth Coallition nuked the Belters,
When did this happen?! It was InEn trying to retake the place. No nukes, FCOL!

Otherwise, the plot devide regarding the recent power shift of EC is implemented snugly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cybergod
Religion name: Vassion
Founded: During the "time of rebuilding" after WW3.
Founder: Brother Nathan Ramses
Philosphies: Sacredness of all life, cycle of rebirth and karma, principles of both Jesus and Buddha, pacifism, space expansion and development of knowledge thoughout the human race
Similar Religions: Christianity, Buddhism and Humanism
Percentage of Humanity: over 50% (suggestions?)
Most Followers: Mars over 80% (and most outer colonies)
Least Followers: Earth bellow 20% (many old age religions are there still firmly established)

What do you think?
IMO some of the numbers a too big. I'd Mars some seventy fifty percent. Total humanity a half! Geez, you think the Chironians have adopted it up to 50 percent? I seriously doubt that.
You meant "Terran percentage", right? Right?

Quote:
Fighter: 10-50m
Scout: 50-100m
Corvette: 100-200m
Frigate: 200-300m
Destroyer: 300-400m
Light Cruiser: 400-500m
Cruiser: 500-750m
Heavy Cruiser: 750-1000m
Battlecruiser: 1000-1500m
Battleship: 1500-2000m
Dreadnought: 2000-3000m
Super Dreadnought: 3000-5000m

Light Carrier: 500-1000m
Carrier: 1000-2000m
Heavy Carrier: 2000-3000m
Looks good. I think at least Terrans should not have Hvy Carriers or Super Dreadnaughts, or if they do, they are only prototype ships (take immense resource and time to build).
I figured that the Terran (Or Earth) ship categories would not have that much varience in classes, but in class variations themselves.

Like:
Sparrow class Scout: Small, fast, lightly armed.
Eagle class Scout: Somewhat larger, heavily armed, slower.

Your economics essay has a point, IMHO. Also, Terran FTL is clearly more... primitive then the Chironian one, for the sole reason that it is very rarely used - No campaigns out of system, closest and only colony is near (relatively), and to travel within Sol in reasonable time does not require maximum speeds.
Old December 2, 2001, 16:57   #110
Sprayber
Emperor

Kass: You see why the Spartans are reluctant to get involved.

I think he means the terran% of people following the new religion. Cause I know the Spartans are not going to even know about this. Until they have more contact.

Which leads me to my next thing. I will start the thread today. We can start getting things going but we should refrain from too much until we get the distances/travel time/and locations worked out. If you guys would concentrate on your internal stuff before launching to relations just yet. No harm in contacting and things, but we really do need some kind of shared hard basic facts like distance. Im eager to get started.

And remember guys we are bound to step on some toes along the way. But lets just remember this is for fun and the whole purpose of the discussion thread is to get stuff like that worked out.

Kass: The Spartans may be visiting an indepenedent Mars soon. Diplomatic ship of course.
Old December 2, 2001, 17:15   #111
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I do have a tendency to get nitpicking in this stuff sometimes. Also I sometimes dislike being vague - I'm one of them numberchrunchers who would prefer clear figures. But I think I can handle it without flipping out.

Btw, for at least alien starships, a good source for pictures is:

http://desktopstarships.com/index.html
Old December 2, 2001, 17:49   #112
Cybergod
Prince

Whoops!

I don't know but I seem to remember somewhere in the history someone mentioning nukes "much to the horror of the citizens of Earth" or similar. OK no nukes were involved, I get it know!

By the percentage I meant people withing the Sol system. OK the most followers is now redone, sorry:

Most Followers: Spread out through Sol system, weakly concentrated on Mars - Terran (Sol) Population % = 60%

Is it OK now? What about people who come into contact with the Sol factions? Will some of their explorers act as missionaries and spread Vassionism? Just imagine Miriam finding out about this!

And I seem to have made a typing error when putting "(much like Mars)" - sorry! But imagine it like a... hmm... self-governed colony whose governors are directly appointed from Earth.

OK, hoping I will stop pestering you all and causing misinterpretations! But a Terran Political Chart would be so useful to everyone in this project.

Frankychan, your Hive seems rather familiar to Imperial Japan/China (sorry history is not one of my strong points), is that where you got the ideas from . Maybe you could have Certain Overlords (rather like the Samurai) who are loyal "friends" to the Emperor and have their own lands and priviliges? Just some random thoughts...
Old December 2, 2001, 18:01   #113
Frankychan
King

factional differences
)

I like that idea of the 'barter system'.

About the ship size, I was thinking that the ship size would differ between the different factions....a corvette-size ship for one faction may be a frigate for another. However, this may lead to some confusion amongst each of us. I do believe we need some constancy in ship size and just wanted to throw out this idea.

As for the Hive, our FTL is based on Bree technology obtained in trade. Gravity on our ships is also based on the Bree.

Some special techs amongst the Hive is:

limited cloak technology (unable to fire weapons while cloaked, like Klingons)

Neurochemical triggers (Thought Control )

Genejack technology

....although this is not all technology possessed by the Hive, I think that these are the "core" tech that I have covered in the timeline, description of the faction, and other threads that I have posted. Our tech is independent of the other factions as we have not "traded" with them, but rather have stolen it and adapted the tech to our needs and specifications. We also possess limited Bree technology due to our mutual "understanding".

If I've missed anything, let me know. Thanx!

Old December 2, 2001, 18:03   #114
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
I don't know but I seem to remember somewhere in the history someone mentioning nukes "much to the horror of the citizens of Earth" or similar. OK no nukes were involved, I get it know!
Good.
The history you read must of been obsolete. I strongly recommend you visit my page and review the Revision 3 I have up there. EDIT: Broken link!

I'll proceed with the Terran Political Chart. Btw, the religion sounds very useful.

Quote:
self-governed colony whose governors are directly appointed from Earth.
Yes. And the governor will obey Earth as much as possible in his agendas, because if he does not, his options are:

a) Immediate removal from office.
but if the governor does not accept that and leave voluntarily,

b) a small marine detachment will be dispatched to "escort" the governor out of office.
If the governor arranges self defense, and is able to avoid capture in part b),

c) an invasion fleet will be sent, consisting of several thousand marines and orbital attack ships.
If even action c) fails, action
d) is taken - full destruction of colony, unless governor or rebels surrender.
Old December 2, 2001, 18:15   #115
Frankychan
King

factional differences
)

I like that idea of the 'barter system'.

About the ship size, I was thinking that the ship size would differ between the different factions....a corvette-size ship for one faction may be a frigate for another. However, this may lead to some confusion amongst each of us. I do believe we need some constancy in ship size and just wanted to throw out this idea.

As for the Hive, our FTL is based on Bree technology obtained in trade. Gravity on our ships is also based on the Bree.

Some special techs amongst the Hive is:

limited cloak technology (unable to fire weapons while cloaked, like Klingons)

Neurochemical triggers (Thought Control )

Genejack technology

....although this is not all technology possessed by the Hive, I think that these are the "core" tech that I have covered in the timeline, description of the faction, and other threads that I have posted. Our tech is independent of the other factions as we have not "traded" with them, but rather have stolen it and adapted the tech to our needs and specifications. We also possess limited Bree technology due to our mutual "understanding".

If I've missed anything, let me know. Thanx!

To Cybergod:
Quote:
Frankychan, your Hive seems rather familiar to Imperial Japan/China (sorry history is not one of my strong points), is that where you got the ideas from . Maybe you could have Certain Overlords (rather like the Samurai) who are loyal "friends" to the Emperor and have their own lands and priviliges? Just some random thoughts...
I'm glad that you saw the comparison. I based the Greater Hive Empire, rather loosely, on Imperial China. I was thinking that since Yang is from China, he would look to his past for some inspiration in creating his new empire. It's funny you mention it because I was thinking of an adaption to the 'overlord' status but hadn't mentioned it because I'm still thinking of ways to incorporate it into Hive politics. I was thinking the Hive political system (what little there is) would be composed something like this:

From lowest rank to highest

Prefect (regional official)
Governor (oversee's planet)
Regional Lord (oversee's region-governor's report to this official)
Emperor

This is the basic structure of the Hive political system. There are way more ranks and what-nots but I feel that this is the 4 basic offices. I'm trying to make the 'favortism' (correct spelling?) show but have to think this more through first.

But I'm glad you've seen the comparison!
Old December 2, 2001, 18:20   #116
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Starting...today?? Well, OK. I sorta had the idea that we Morganites come in first with the skirmish with InEn guys that really starts up the hatred for InEn and Morgan. What do you think, Kassiopeia?
Old December 2, 2001, 18:22   #117
History Guy
King

So Yang rather fancies himself a little Qin Shihuangdi?
Old December 2, 2001, 18:26   #118
Alynzia
Warlord

Local Time: 17:14
Lots Of Them
I want ships, lots of ships. Big Green Ones. But they are probably going to be scientific exploration vessels and transports.

I have checked out the two BAC pages I know of, Sprayber's and kassiopeia's. While they are all neat and 'woo' - I plan to put a little bit of Gaian stuff on my home page for BAC plus links to your guys pages, with permission. (I also checked out Cybergod's cool home page recently )

No one has told me about territories and distances, and I did ask. Please, please, please can I have some more information on that. Eventually.

On the issue of Titan, I once saw a programme that proposed life there in the seas of methane or whatever. Because the sunlight is so weak there was chemosynthesis. There were a few plants that utilized sunlight, massive structures that grew up and looked like flat topped mushrooms. They reproduced by budding at the sides of the top, and stalks grew down from each bud. I was not drunk, I really remember that.

Oh... yes, ships. For my pictures I want to use a few images from Battlefleet Gothic... but how do you attach them properly?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gaian.gif
Views:	27
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	6920  
Alynzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2001, 18:33   #119
Sprayber
Emperor

About ship sizes. Of course everyone will have different ship types. The ranking is to give everyone a basic idea of what you are talking about. I have already come up with a ship for the Spartans that they use only for system defense. It is bigger then a fighter but not a main fleet ship either. When you attack a Spartan system, it will be those that most likely will be there unless the main fleet happens to be there.

Get your posts ready. I'll start it later today.

LMP: don't know if I've said this to ya already, but thanks for the work on the map and distances and stuff. And as not to leave everyone out, thanks to everyone.
Old December 2, 2001, 18:40   #120
Sprayber
Emperor

Re: Lots Of Them
Quote:
Originally posted by Alynzia
I want ships, lots of ships. Big Green Ones. But they are probably going to be scientific exploration vessels and transports.

I have checked out the two BAC pages I know of, Sprayber's and kassiopeia's. While they are all neat and 'woo' - I plan to put a little bit of Gaian stuff on my home page for BAC plus links to your guys pages, with permission. (I also checked out Cybergod's cool home page recently )

No one has told me about territories and distances, and I did ask. Please, please, please can I have some more information on that. Eventually.

On the issue of Titan, I once saw a programme that proposed life there in the seas of methane or whatever. Because the sunlight is so weak there was chemosynthesis. There were a few plants that utilized sunlight, massive structures that grew up and looked like flat topped mushrooms. They reproduced by budding at the sides of the top, and stalks grew down from each bud. I was not drunk, I really remember that.

Oh... yes, ships. For my pictures I want to use a few images from Battlefleet Gothic... but how do you attach them properly?
The more pages the merrier. LMP's ipage going to be the depository sort of speaks for basic info such as speeds/distances/and other things. Links are welcome at my page. Are the images bigger or are they that size? The minimum posting size is like 600X400 IIRC. Around that anyway.