Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
what are the best culture wonders?
The most culture points you get out of Great Lib (6), Newton (6), Shakespeare's Theatre (8), Bach (6) and Sistine (6).
But it's also important to build improvements and wonders early, so that you can accumulate their points.
Old June 18, 2002, 16:35   #32
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 10:14
Sounds like you all are reading the manual and assuming high culture value purchases led to culture victory. For yet this week I am playing at warlord, and I had to turn off cultural victory because my games used to end abruptly with a culture victory just as they were getting interesting. A culture victory is so easy it is boring.

Here is the formula:
1. at least 40 cities, the more the merrier
2. early build of library/temple in first 10 build orders
3. follow with build of temple/library at least with no more than 4 builds after #2.
4. build cathedrals in all cities as early as possible,
5. throw in a few wonders for amusement
6. don't neglect building as many research labs as soon as they are available.
7. If you have the cash, soon after conquering a city, rush lib-temple-cathedral combo.

Note the simple lib-temple-cathedral will usually accumulate culture points faster than wonders.

Also note, you don't evaluate a city by its shield production, only culture production. Will it stand for a while pumping out more than 10 culture points each turn. 1.21 is easier and it shows in city view number of culture points per turn.

Your culture win should come between 1850-1950.

Enjoy
Old June 19, 2002, 13:15   #33
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 09:14
According to one of my friends (sigh, I haven't played this game for a while) you can get infinite culture points by exploitering a loophole. He did not mention culture victory though. (The loophole: he mentioned that if in city window you plan building queue then keep on hitting the 'delete' key you can increase your culture points indefinitely. I have never tried.)
Old June 21, 2002, 10:40   #34
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 12:14
Myself, I am almost always in the lead in culture, but very rarely have the 2X to win a CV. So I turned off diplomatic and space race VCs and played as the Babs (on Regent). Damn good thing I did too. (Normal size,8 player). I started at the south end of a continent with France and the Iroquious. I took out France in two wars, clawing my way up to parity with the other civs in terms of power. But I dared not attack the Iroquious (who were #1) until I got Modern Armor, at which point I *had* to attack, because they had ~ 60% of my culture. It was a long, brutal, micromanaged war, losing several (3 or4) culture flips. I finally switched to commie after researching the last tech. But with Hiawatha down to his last city (ironically, Jean d'Arc's last city as well) I finally won by culture in 1982.

Man, I am never doing that again. If I hadn't had early access to the three luxuries on my continent (later I added a 4th, planting a city next to the ruins of Berlin), I'm sure I would have lost.
John 6:68