Old November 26, 2001, 03:59   #61
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Well i dont think that even sums up my amazement. Bloody hell Xin. Mind you i do know how you did it. Using the german events to your advantage.

Motorized infantry that gets destroyed will turn into Red Guard if you have Moscow(?) and then red guard that is destroyed will turn into tanks in Leningrad or Stalingrad(?)

Well i said i have no objections but i have now

Thats truly despicable but i will echo FMK's comments that if i had known Xin would be controlling the Russians i wouldnt have gone for my killer suicide dive that i did because (No offense meant here) i wouldnt have thought that case would be able t do much against me. Xin is another thing though. I would have taken moscow and leningrad and then fortified my positions and awaited the backlash. I Still want Germany in the next PBEM which i feel will be coming on sooner rather than later.

And if Xin is Russia then i want FMK as the japs again see if we cant bring this giant down once and for all.

Well i await my turn with intrest if not joy

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old November 26, 2001, 05:08   #62
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 09:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Grothgar

Well i said i have no objections but i have now
I take that as a no. So who's going to play Russian?

Last edited by Xin Yu; November 26, 2001 at 16:58.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:04   #63
Grothgar
Prince

Just incase you didnt get that lol i meant that as a joke got to be sure hehe. Dont worry ill be sure to worry at your flanks like a caged beast. Carry on demolishing the 3rd Reich. Its an awful regime you know

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old November 26, 2001, 06:05   #64
klesh
King

Local Time: 13:15
You're gonna have to kill me...
No way Xin, I agreed to you playing as the Soviet, and I'll stick to my guns no matter how much its gonna hurt! Are you implying you're gonna beat me? that easy?!?

And geez Gary, have a little faith, will you?

-FMK.
Old November 26, 2001, 06:12   #65
Grothgar
Prince

Yeah i dont think anything short of a miracle (and that wouldnt help against Xin im sure) would put my status back to Major Power. Xin Fancy going by the historical ww2 next time hehe i mean yeah youll win but it wont be this bad

The only units i will have will be the ones that are homed to my german african cities. All those units i shipped over to take alexandria have been lost with the fall of rome.

Oh well i will have a minor counter attack ready im sure lol

Carry on Xin

Old November 26, 2001, 10:58   #66
Cal
Prince

Three cheers for Xin Yu! Who else can destroy civilizations with his mind?
Old November 26, 2001, 12:35   #67
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 18:15
So what's gonna be the next game?
Whatever it is I want to play against Xin.
Old November 26, 2001, 13:53   #68
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Perhaps Grothgar did not bother to re-home his units and that helped me. After using bombers to get Moscow I started maching Westward. Very light resistence (1 infantry and 1 bomber) in Washaw and the door to Paris was opened(you should use the bomber to block the RR so I'd lose move points when bypassing you). I used a caravan to bypass ZOCand went directly to Paris. The city falled in front of my artilleries and red guards and all other cities originally belong to Germany lost city walls. My light tanks could kill everything now. I went after the wonder cities first, after taking them I found that all units in Kharkov and Sevastopol were disbanded.

I tried to make the best use of every unit. For a red guard I used them to attack a weak unit once and go off railroad to lose 2/3 moving points, then used the remaining 1/3 points to attack a strong unit. It got lost and I got two tanks. I also used a group of light tanks to attack, with each tank attacked once so they still had moving points. After a city was emptied I moved a tank there to occupy it and recover. If I suspected that the defending unit was strong I used tanks with only 1 move point left to attack. It turned out that I had more than enough units to occupy the Whole Europe.

To my surprise I did not see any boatsafter occupying Rome. Otherwise I would go to Africa.

Last edited by Xin Yu; November 26, 2001 at 13:58.
Old November 26, 2001, 14:18   #69
Grothgar
Prince

Wheres the save file for FMK to get as much as he can from this disaster?

Hartel if you want to play against Xin then lets say in the next PBEM you play America and Xin Plays Germany

got to love that hehe. Come on i want to see how fast i can be destroyed lol.

And as i said if i had known Xin would be controlling russia then i wouldnt have advanced as much and i would have had a secondary line of defense which may have stalled him for a turn. But my strategy was thrown into dissarry by this fact. as was FMK's. In fact i petition the court to start this again

Only joking (unless you agree as well?)

Old November 26, 2001, 16:56   #70
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Jan 1942, The war in Europe is ended...
Attached Files:
File Type: net 1942jan.net (240.2 KB, 5 views)
Old November 26, 2001, 17:47   #71
klesh
King

Got the file... am super-busy tonite though. I'll see about saving your arse tomorrow, Gary.

God save the Emperor!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	xinyu.gif
Views:	127
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	6575  
Old November 26, 2001, 18:45   #72
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:15
The (slower) twin king blows his big chance!
Ya hadda chance. Ya cudda been a contender! But ya forgot what I told ya, and ya let Yin in the ring. Now yer nuttin' but a chump. Take a dive in '42. It's all ya got left, see!
Old November 27, 2001, 02:39   #73
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Looks like this one will be over quickly enough. Are we going to keep playing after Xin conquers Japan in two turns?

In the next game, I believe Xin will be banned again. No offense Xin but you are just two damn good. I was at least hoping that it would take you a couple turns to get on the offensive. I never dreamed of this. You are without a doubt the king of "2194 days of War"
Old November 27, 2001, 03:48   #74
Grothgar
Prince

What did i tell you jimmy? Did you listen lol. i read the other PBEM ones and the only person who came close to stopping Xin was Nemo when Nemo was russia and he used the events just like Xin did against me but i didnt have the inner lines he did last time
however we could play with Xin. just give him america. that will keep him out of the way for a few turns . however give him any other side apart from china and he will wreak havoc.

Old November 27, 2001, 14:20   #75
Jimmywax
Prince

So we give him either the chinese or the neutrals? I guess he could have the Americans if he likes. Lord knows I can't do sqaut with them.
Old November 28, 2001, 12:06   #76
Stefan Härtel
King

How the hell does he do that???
Old November 28, 2001, 13:11   #77
klesh
King

Fighting to the last....
The Empire of Japan has decided that the War will continue!

The Fall of the German state reveals their unworthy status withing the Anti-Comintern Pact. We shall carry the entire Axis on our shoulders from now on. This is how it will be.

The Battle for Australia™ is in its final stages. A combined Allied fleet of ships advancing up 'the slot' have been sunk by naval strikes which prepared the way for our full invasion of the island. The last bastion of resistance will fall next month for sure.

We know that the eyes of the world are on the Siberian front at this time. We understand this this is now the only real active front which will see heavy fighting in the next months. The Emperor's mighty forces have destroyed a Soviet military base which was preparing for seiging Vladivosktok. This base blocked the Trans-Siberian railsystem. It's destruction was imminent, as the Emporer does not intend to let the Soviet run wild across Europe and Asia.

Our troops poured through this gap and captured yet more Soviet cities. The harsh terrain here provides for excellent defensive positions agains the godless Slavs. Our brave Imperial Marines can only hope to hold the wave of Soviets that will of course be attacking. We are actually quite anxious to engage in the final battle against the Soviets. The Emporer see's opertunities when other see only despair! The lines are drawn and the fate of two continents rests on this decisive battle.

The remaining Minor Allies may be chortling in their respective capitals at this time, but lest you think they will not get theirs once this Soviet nuisance has been dealt with accordingly. I hope they like drinking green tea in London.

Japan is not a pupet state to be manhandled. We will resist to the last!

-Tota Kleshiwara
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	2194map.gif
Views:	93
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	6674  
Old November 28, 2001, 13:14   #78
klesh
King

And the zip...
Have fun Gary. Good luck! (you'll need it)

-FMK.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip japmovejan1942.zip (54.8 KB, 5 views)
Old November 28, 2001, 14:42   #79
Grothgar
Prince

A Soldiers Journal.
As i approached the docks in Tripoli i knew only trepidation. All through the month of january the enemies radio transmissions were bragging of the fuhrers death in his bunker in berlin. This was not good news for our morale especially after the lightning assult from the russians that took all of europe. Who would have known that they could perfect Blitzkrieg Warfare so fast. Our new tanks are entering production though what use they will be is questionable.
But then came the uplifting news, the Fuhrer wasnt in berlin he was in rome and was evacuated into the mediterainian. Unfortunately his tanker has been dodging the allies fleet and word has it he is arriving soon in Tripoli. I am there as a representative of Field Marshal Rommel who is busy destroying the British assult on Alexandria. I look at my orders again and shake my head. I know this is right but in my heart it feels so wrong.
I enter tripoli and a huge cheer is raised near the docks. The Fuhrer must be here!! I hurry to the docks with my orders and i meet the Fuhrer in person!!! I have never felt this amazed in all my life but my orders are unyielding.

Me: "Mein Fuhrer, they said you were dead."

Hitler: "Im a lot harder to kill than they think."

With those words i pulled out my Mauser and put a bullet into the fuhrers brain from point blank range.

Me: "Obviously not that hard to kill."

I was surrounded and almost taken into custody of the SS. But i had explicit orders from Rommel himself, the new Fuhrer of the German Reich.

I fear for our brethren in occupied germany. I can only think what sort of things the russians are doing to them now. Our sub fleet report succes still but without a home port in france their usefullness is not very good. We have given them orders to fight to the death, nothing less is tolerated.
In other bad news our relief force was destroyed in port by a british battleship thus ending hopes of reclaiming any of the Fatherland soon. We hear that our japanese allies are advancing. They will need the help against this great russian bear.

(You got the map wrongFMk but thats expected what with you not being able to see my map lol.)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	2194map.gif
Views:	82
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	6683  

Old November 28, 2001, 14:44   #80
Grothgar
Prince

oh yeah and the map i just posted is wrong because i still hold alexandria. FMk didnt fill that in either

game attached
Attached Files:
File Type: zip germove1942jan.zip (54.8 KB, 3 views)

Old November 28, 2001, 14:52   #81
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

On AI changing city production in PBEM
Last time I played this PBEM game I did some research on this. It's been a long time so I almost forget.

Even after using Ctrl-N to end a player's turn, the AI still may change certain cities' production. It is most likely to happen when:

a) You lost one city. The AI will search every continent and find the city closest to the lost city on that continent, and may change production for the city.

b) One of your cities is under siege. The AI may change production for the definding city.

The rule for AI's pick is likely:

a) If the city does not have 2 or more LAND combat units inside the city, the AI will pick the unit with a defense role and of maximum defense factor. In 2194 days the pick would be Mobile Infantry or AA battery (highest defense against land and air, respectively). I suspect that the AI will pick AA if enemy (not necessarily the civ who is attacking you, but all civs at war) bombers are close (within striking range) to the city, MI otherwise.

b) If the city has 2 or more land combat units inside, and the city is big enough, the AI may choose to build MI or AA, or switch to city improvements like harbor, marketplace, etc. Unless, perhaps, if the production is AA, MI, or another city improvement, then maybe the AI won't bother to change it.

Hence it is important for a player to estimate which cities will be lost and build either AA or MI in the cities on each continent which are closest to the lost ones. This way the production will likely to be kept.
Old November 28, 2001, 15:33   #82
klesh
King

Yes, I remember these discussions with the last PBEM with Nemo. Xin, is this a design problem with the scen, related to costs and values of certain things, or rather is it the fault of the CivII engine? I recall Nemo was quite interested in re-doing this scen to make it more MP-able, but alas, it seems the Captain is gone. Any suggestions for a fix aside of pre-preducing defensive units in the nearby cities?

-FMK.
Old November 28, 2001, 16:10   #83
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I can write a hacking program to 'replace' production and shield progress (if the building type has changed) for a civ from another file. So you just need to run this program once then start.

I don't have time before January so this will start next year. Maybe there are other people interested in writing this program?
Old November 29, 2001, 16:01   #84
Jimmywax
Prince

For some reason it took me about ten tries to get on today so I will make this quick.
Attached Files:
File Type: net 1942jan.net (240.2 KB, 4 views)
Old November 30, 2001, 02:41   #85
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
(I think that that just about sums up my comments)
Old November 30, 2001, 03:25   #86
klesh
King

welcome back!

Yeah, Case, you missed all of Xin's mighty advances here haven't you? Did you expect anything less? Well, it'll be over soon. I just want to get this turn back so I can see if I can pull a Xin Yu of my own. Doubtful, of course. But I am dying to see what I can do.

Where you at Stefan?

-FMK.
Old December 1, 2001, 05:38   #87
Stefan Härtel
King

Sorry, couldn't post earlier.
German ground forces are expelled entirely from the african continent. Alexandria has been regained, and it takes just one trip to liberate all other african cities as well. A couple of submarines are known to be in the Atlantic, but they aren't considered much of a threat.
The Japanese have been hurt lightly, though not enough. A major offensive is scheduled to start within the next two months (unless the Soviets start earlier, of course).
Attached Files:
File Type: net 1942jan.net (240.2 KB, 4 views)
Old December 1, 2001, 08:27   #88
Grothgar
Prince

I will have my revenge lol

Old December 2, 2001, 04:56   #89
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I played part of my turn without waiting for Chinese. ANZAC mentioned that he wanted to turn Chinese to the AI. If ANZAC is sure about this I'll move the rest of the pieces, otherwise I'll wait.

I don't understand why English did not capture those African cities. I sent a freighter there and easily occupied 3 empty cities. (Duh, I was hoping to get some free units but couldn't find a German to do suicide attack). In the eastern front I did not make much progress -- my units need time to recover from the European battles.
Old December 2, 2001, 05:32   #90
Grothgar
Prince

This is the time to strike FMK lol. well at least to put as much distance between your home cities and Xin . just dont spread yourself too thin. We see what happens when you do that