Old November 22, 2001, 16:40   #61
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 11:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quick change
Above , instead of 'bombard and move' I meant bomberd and attack directly (you get a little message saying you attacked already)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 22, 2001, 17:04   #62
Excelsior
Warlord

Warships with blitz can bombard, attack, and move as many times as they have move points. Land units with blitz are the same. Land units without blitz can only attack/bombard once per turn irrespective of their move points. This is the same way that sea units normally work.

Also, when you add bombardment to a unit that did not originally have it, you must add bombard to its list of special actions or you won't be able to issue that order during the game.
Old November 22, 2001, 17:12   #63
GePap
Emperor

The end nears!
My God, Excelsior! do you realize what we have done? The bitter debate over combat may be coming to and end (well, besides the gripe about bombardment not killing, and air units broken, but fixaris will fix the later) since now, anyone who wants juggernaughts can have then and anyone who likes it as is, well, keeps it as is. All of a sudden, modern armor becomes more REALISTIC

Well, good work Excelsior (I personally have been too lazy to play with the editor)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 22, 2001, 17:20   #64
CyberGnu
King

Local Time: 17:17
Mr. Freeze, I didn't know that! Thanks!

Venger, yeah, you have a point there...
Old November 22, 2001, 18:07   #65
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: The end nears!
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
My God, Excelsior! do you realize what we have done? The bitter debate over combat may be coming to and end (well, besides the gripe about bombardment not killing, and air units broken, but fixaris will fix the later) since now, anyone who wants juggernaughts can have then and anyone who likes it as is, well, keeps it as is. All of a sudden, modern armor becomes more REALISTIC

Well, good work Excelsior (I personally have been too lazy to play with the editor)
I did that? Seriously, why couldn't anyone who wanted tanks to be unstoppable just give them insane values like 50/30/6?

That's what I did with modern navies. I got really tired of those Man-of-Wars defeating battleships. I don't care how many of those things the English have (usually around 30-50) I don't want them to defeat my battleships! I still don't have it balanced well, but I'm working on it.

I also made submarines useful, made the cruise missle a tactical missle that be carried on subs,increased the carrying capacity of subs, gave the cruise missle a range of six, multiplied the hitpoints of each experience level by four, and decreased the expense of nukes by 2/3.

I had a great game where I (the French) had 87 nuclear weapons, the Chinese had 23, the English had 8, and the Germans had 2. I was able to turn all of Europe + Asia + lower Africa into a nuclear wasteland in one turn! This caused war with Germany and China, but I hurt them so badly that I signed peace with the Germans before the turn was over! The Chinese hit me back the next turn, nukes aren't ever destroyed by nukes, but both the Germans and the English came to my aid nuking what remained of the Chinese. The next turn, global warming turned half my empire into a desert but it didn't matter because Corinth completed my spaceship that turn, winning the game.
Old November 22, 2001, 18:34   #66
Setsuna
Warlord

Local Time: 12:17
Re: Re: The end nears!
Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior
I had a great game where I (the French) had 87 nuclear weapons, the Chinese had 23, the English had 8, and the Germans had 2. I was able to turn all of Europe + Asia + lower Africa into a nuclear wasteland in one turn! This caused war with Germany and China, but I hurt them so badly that I signed peace with the Germans before the turn was over! The Chinese hit me back the next turn, nukes aren't ever destroyed by nukes, but both the Germans and the English came to my aid nuking what remained of the Chinese. The next turn, global warming turned half my empire into a desert but it didn't matter because Corinth completed my spaceship that turn, winning the game.
Just like the prologue from Alpha Centauri!
Old November 22, 2001, 18:45   #67
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: The end nears!
Quote:
Originally posted by Setsuna
Just like the prologue from Alpha Centauri!
I'd never of thought of that, but, yeah, you're right. Now, if they'd just make nukes work like planet busters! I seem to vaguely remember a game of SMAC where I won by annihilating the entire world with my quantum planet busters. Morgan never knew what hit him.
Old November 25, 2001, 20:35   #68
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 12:17
Re: Re: The end nears!
Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior
I think it goes without saying that you and I have vastly differing opinions of what makes a great game.
Old November 25, 2001, 20:55   #69
Excelsior
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: The end nears!
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteElephants
I think it goes without saying that you and I have vastly differing opinions of what makes a great game.
Probably not really. It was just a great game because I'd never seen a game where everyone had that much nuclear material. One thing that was interesting about it was that the Chinese seemed to build up their arsenal in responce to my buildup. I didn't really have more than a handful of nukes for a while and neither did the Chinese, but when I really started cranking them out, so did the Chinese. I seemed to have triggered an arms race (after a world war in which all of the other civs ganged up on Rome, no less!).

Plus, it was revenge after the Chinese annihilated me in the previous game (They sneak-attacked me when I had 75% of my army in deep inside Japanese territory. ).