Old November 21, 2001, 20:44   #1
Lord Cannager
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good Starting strategy
ever wonder what to do at the early stages of the game?
well first build ur first city where ur settler lands
next build a settler there,then a settler, then a worker,then warrior.build citys in good spots consider that lots of resources appear in hills/mountains.DO NOT GO TO WAR EARLY!
CONCENTRATE ON BUILDIN A TEMPLE THEN A GRANARY, THEN A BARRACKS, THEN A ITS UR CHOICE.
raising culture will help 'cuz other citys will convert to u and less corruption.
CONCENTRATE on expanding u borders.

then its all urs from ther.....
Old November 21, 2001, 20:46   #2
WhiteElephants
King

U should have posted this in the strategy section.
Old November 22, 2001, 13:59   #3
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
and you shouldn't have spammed the General section...
Old November 22, 2001, 22:55   #4
jack_frost
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:17
I disagree with everything in this post.

that is all. Thank you and goodnight.
Old November 23, 2001, 12:51   #5
Kaesar
Settler

Local Time: 17:17
I'm with Jack on this. The fact of the matter is that we don't even know what you're trying to do. Explain why it works beyond which you have stated. Otherwise, the experience with most people is that the AI will most likely kick your ass in the more difficulty levels if we do what you have prescribed. Your strategy gives you good culture but the size of the AI civs will just overwhelm you anyways. It seems in this game size does matter. I prefer to make my empire big one way or another. Try to keep up with the AI on expansion or just take their cities.
Old November 23, 2001, 13:21   #6
BLackraven42
Chieftain

Building 2 settlers in a row takes way too long. You need to wait for your pop to build up twice. You need to build you city a little first, then expand.

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
Therefore, George Bush is half a man.
Old November 23, 2001, 15:13   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:17
it only takes too long if you don't have a kicking food tile.... with a kicking food tile that city should be pumping settlers......

in my latest game as the japanese i had three cities making a diagonal line north south.... i set my goals for iron working which is only two techs away.....i ran into all the civs to my west and isolated the largest one the indians to my east....

can you guess what happened.... i had an elite warrior near the chinese..... they did'nt build a phalanx..only a warrior..so i sacked the town...received a leader and three turns later i built the pyramids......easily the best early wonder in the game.....my three cities rushed a temple at size two the first time they made it there..... my cap took three grows as i had to produce to settlers from it.... by then i had iron, built a colony near my city...since they were connected diagonally and close by each other i rushed barracks at size two for each city and then started the swordsmen pump i attacked the chinese again and took a city to finish the block of all the other civs to my land from the west......

refused to give my indian contact up for anything i wanted...instead i offered 30g per tech/contacts

i went on a cleansing process of the indians........eating up their rim ciities and keeping them as they will become the base of my push to fill alot of land that is not inhabited in the east...

the english declare war and sign a MMP and alliance to destroy me with the germans so i offered my world map to the chinese and Horseback riding for an alliance against the Germans

China took the brunt of the attacks while i finished off the indians.....

early temple is sooooooooo important....culture from temples is cheap and easy to rush..... one should do this over barracks no matter where your city is....barbs are only an issue on raging hordes and durring massive uprisings..otherwise seek out barbs for upgrades...

in the early game its not important to have alot of cities....4 good ones with barracks will allow you to take down a civ or clip two of them like i did to buy you time and catch you up tech wise....and then if you mix horses in to the fray your army is mobile and powerfull...the early horse takes out phalanxes all the time....and he retreats...not to mention he looks like the knight of civ2 and is pwerfull like the chariot of civ1

Dont let the ai intimidate you...... just think of this as civ2 with some modifications...alot of the same tactics work and the ai still ca'nt wage a war..the only way your screwed is if you don't build your military up....but then you have an advisor for that