Old November 22, 2001, 23:22   #31
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
As one of the most 'senior' posters on this forum, I have to say that the elitist attitude shown here makes me sick.

The irony of that statement has obviously completely escaped you.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 22, 2001, 23:30   #32
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 13:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ah, King Troll arrives on cue!

There's a difference between bagging on Firaxis and thinking that post counts gives you a right to bag on the new posters here. Yes, I am elitist in the sense that I think I know when Firaxis is being incompetent. I am *not*, however, some uber-geek who thinks that post count is some kind of badge of honor.

In fact, AH, I believe you once said your post count embarrasses you. Well, it should!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 22, 2001, 23:36   #33
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Oh give me break Yin - you are constantly pulling rank on the newbies here, constantly dropping in little "I'm important" comments.

Old November 22, 2001, 23:38   #34
number6

Newbie to forum
I'm quite secure with my new rank as newbie first class to this forum. If I make a mistake, which humans are wont to do, I ask for your compassion in advance.

Old November 22, 2001, 23:48   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

AH: Go find the quotes and get back to me. Until then, Troll on!

Old November 22, 2001, 23:48   #36
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 18:17
I love this smilie concerning newbies: it's funny cos it is true...at civfanatics as a newbie it was 10 posts in before I got a week banning

Now with 920 posts I have only been banned once again -for 50 minutes before I was I learnt my lesson, when you don't like what someone posted don't reply with a post containing the word SPAM 800 times...

Okay: a comment on newbies...perhaps not true...

Old November 22, 2001, 23:53   #37
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Face facts Yin - you are constantly trying to lord it over the newbies on this forum. I think you are one of the worst offenders. I'm surprised you can't see it yourself and need me to find quotes for you.

Old November 22, 2001, 23:56   #38
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Tough business, trolling. Eh, Horse? Find the quotes.

Old November 22, 2001, 23:58   #39
Alexander's Horse
Deity

You mean like "when I was mod", "when I was coordinating the civ III lists", those kinds of quotes?

Go find them yourself. It shouldn't be too hard.

Old November 23, 2001, 00:05   #40
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Oh, I see. This is just you pissing that you've never actually done anything contructive around here. It's o.k., we don't hold it against you. As your 'proof' shows, I don't bag on people for being new. I might refer to past events, but so what? Show me the quote that ends with "...and since you are new here and haven't helped, go to Hell." Even then, I refer to my modding and the List very rarely.

Care to prove otherwise? No, guess not. Then you wouldn't be spamming anymore ... and the shock could kill you. Pretty good troll, though. Almost sounded serious. Move along.

Old November 23, 2001, 00:09   #41
Alexander's Horse
Deity

HA! You wouldn't be getting so snippy about it if it wasn't true

Old November 23, 2001, 00:11   #42
kittenOFchaos
Prince

I agree with Yin26 that there is no reason for him not to mention his PAST glories...that isn't an attack...or is too subtle for my liking...
Old November 23, 2001, 00:14   #43
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I just think its a bit rich for yin to criticise others for something he does himself all the time. I guess he thought we hadn't noticed

Old November 23, 2001, 00:26   #44
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 10:17
I read this thread and here is what I saw:
1. "elite" members engaging in a flame war amoungst themselves.
2. Pruile little children who have spammed up high post counts saying "unless you have 500 posts you are a newbie".
3. People, who I suspect have very little going for them in real life, putting down the future life blood of our organisation just to boost their fragile little egos.

Sad, sad, sad. If you really want to feel better about yourself then you will not find the solution trolling this board. Now that I've had my say I'm going to bozo can this thread and never check up on it again. Have a nice discussion.
Old November 23, 2001, 00:29   #45
Oerdin
Deity

double post.

Last edited by Oerdin; November 23, 2001 at 00:34.
Old November 23, 2001, 00:43   #46
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Old November 23, 2001, 01:19   #47
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

AH (has a familiar ring) why don't we just put a yellow star on every newbie post, just so that the pure and elite can tell at a glance who they are. (I think someone else did something similar in the past) Also give those with over 5000 posts the power to send any posts from newbies to a special newbie thread, but we need a name for the thread, any suggestions?
Old November 23, 2001, 01:43   #48
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boney
AH (has a familiar ring) why don't we just put a yellow star on every newbie post, just so that the pure and elite can tell at a glance who they are. (I think someone else did something similar in the past) Also give those with over 5000 posts the power to send any posts from newbies to a special newbie thread, but we need a name for the thread, any suggestions?
I think the "settler" title already acts in a similar way to the yellow star in the eyes of some posters

Old November 23, 2001, 02:10   #49
Boney
Warlord

Ha Ha Ha thanks AH, I won my bet. But I did think that you for one would have loved the yellow star idea.
Old November 23, 2001, 05:52   #50
TechWins
King

Quote:
Shame on those of you doing such things!
I sure as hell hope you aren't including me in this referral! My post simply stated the facts, and if that offends/irritates you then that is your problem. There are too many pointless threads in the General forum. Now these threads wouldn't be pointless (most of them at least) if they were posted in the appropiate forum. Also, if you don't fall under my four categories then you should be listed as a newbie. Now what is wrong with calling somebody a newbie? A newbie is just simply someone who is new to a subject/place/event. Therefore, if you do fall under those four categories, then you are not a newbie, because those four categories imply that you have (more) experience at the subject/place/event. By the way, if you didn't notice I was hinting for the Mods to step up and move incorrectly placed threads to their appropiate position more often and to close a thread that is of the same exact nature as a previously and recently posted thread.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old November 23, 2001, 10:53   #51
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
So I assume we should just scrap the newbie title for new ACS members that have settler or chieftain ranking?
Old November 23, 2001, 11:21   #52
Zizka
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:17
>> (has a familiar ring) why don't we just put a yellow star on every newbie post,

sure lets also add pink triangles for homosexuals, crescents for muslims, swatzikas for fascists and a big glorious pile of doo doo for elitists... while we are at it..

(disclaimer: the latter was bitter attempt at sarcasm)

Geez what neanderthal idea IMHO.

Z
Old November 23, 2001, 11:44   #53
Boney
Warlord

Quote:
the latter was a bitter attempt at sarcasm

So was the former.

Hence the play on the initials AH. (think about it)
Old November 23, 2001, 12:31   #54
Frito
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:17
When you say 'newbie' are you guys refering to being new to this site or to the civ series? I remember the day I had to upgrade my 8088 with a color monitor/512k vga card just to play Civ1 so I'm hoping the title newbie is just refering to this site.
Old November 23, 2001, 12:49   #55
Zizka
Chieftain

no the context for newbie means "person who does not have an ego that needs stroking daily on ACS"

Z
Old November 23, 2001, 12:52   #56
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

--------------just passin thru on my way to cheiftain--------------------

BTW the Hitler reference was kinda harsh

Last edited by Evil_Eric_4; November 23, 2001 at 14:47.
Old November 23, 2001, 14:08   #57
sachmo71
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Boney

So was the former.

Hence the play on the initials AH. (think about it)
I got that one the first time I saw his name, and it just clicked when he I started reading his responses. Didn't want to say anything, but it's nice to see someone else noticed the "true colors"! The guy is the poster boy for trolling!
Old November 23, 2001, 14:19   #58
sachmo71
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
So I assume we should just scrap the newbie title for new ACS members that have settler or chieftain ranking?
I'm not really surprised here, but you are missing the point completely. If you like titles, fine. If it makes you feel good, that is great. The main issue here is that some of you treat newbies like crap, only because they are newbies. If you don't like people posting on the wrong forum, I can understand that. I knocks good threads off of the page, and causes *bumping* to become a big player. Annoying to be sure. But flaming someone out of hand because they are new, even if they post something interesting AND in the right place is just silly. Look at your response to me, Rasbelin. I have read some of your suggestion, like having a VIP lobby for Prince and above (I'm not even going to bother with the quote game...you know what you wrote) and they made me laugh. I THOUGHT you were joking, but when I sent a little joking jibe you way, you proceed to flame me with stats about post counts and membership status. You actually believe that I should show you respect. Do you not see how sick and twisted that is? Most of the things I have read from you are IMHO crap. So there is no respect there. You still believe that there should be because of your title. That is the point.

I understand you are a young guy...it explains a lot. These sort of things are very important to you. The problem is that you and those like you are creating an enviornment where new members may not stick around. If some of you think that is good, then ok. But I would hazard to guess that the people who run this site are happy to have more posters, and may get sick of you egotistical geeks running off people who give them more hits, and maybe buy merch or even give them support directly.

Now let the flames begin, as I don't expect you or those like you to understand any of this. You are to busy puffing yourselves up with a sense of accomplishment over NOTHING!
Old November 23, 2001, 14:35   #59
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
It's like jazz...if you have to ask...
Quote:
Originally posted by Frito
When you say 'newbie' are you guys refering to being new to this site or to the civ series? I remember the day I had to upgrade my 8088 with a color monitor/512k vga card just to play Civ1 so I'm hoping the title newbie is just refering to this site.
you wouldn't understand.

Seriously this question has been answered about 10 times. It refers to new forum members. And interestingly there was no confusion of the last 3 years in how the term was used. It's only with this latest influx...

Last edited by TCO; November 23, 2001 at 19:30.
Old November 23, 2001, 14:39   #60
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
Sheesh...stop it with all the self-righteous arguments against elitism. This is nothing. That you would get so instantly exercised (that you would not understand what "newbie" means, etc. etc.) is the real issue.

BTW, this is a great board. It's been a great board for a long time. It will continue to be so after the influx is over and some have stayed. There's nothing "sad" about saying that this is a great community. If you think it's so sad...just float away.