Old November 22, 2001, 03:32   #1
Optimizer
Prince

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What units would you add?
Some of my ideas:

War Elephants - 3/2/2 - Horseback Riding and Elephants (new strat. resource) - available to all civs
Gurkhas - 5/6/1 - Nationalism - treats all squares as road, Indian UU

Coracle - 0/0/3 - no tech - carries 1 unit, sinks in sea
Steamer - 0/3/8 - Steam Power, Coal, Iron - carries 5 units
(These movement rates are with respect that all ships should be speeded up)

V2 rocket - weakened Cruise missile - Cruise missile comes with a later tech
Airship - 0/2/0 4/2/4 - Combustion, Oil, Iron - can recon and bombard

Have you got others?
Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2001, 03:39   #2
Calanor
Chieftain

Well, I was considering adding one or so "pseudo-unique" unit for each side. Basically, it would be a standard unit using the standard name yet with slightly tweaked stats (and no chance of starting Golden Age). For instance, English (or Welsh, rather) Longbowmen and French Knights. Unfortunately, such units show up in the Civilopedia using the same name as the original unit (thus, you'd get the same unit entry twice), so I've abandoned the idea for now.
Calanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2001, 03:40   #3
Joe R. Golowka
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:18
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a coracle and a Gukhas?
Joe R. Golowka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2001, 03:47   #4
Calanor
Chieftain

Gurkhas are elite warriors from uh Nepal, methinks. Their peculiar-looking (and big!) knives is more or less their trademark.

Coracle is a very simple (and ancient) celtic boat.
Calanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2001, 13:46   #5
Lord Cannager
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:18
this would only work if battlefeild medicine is enabled after sanitation is researched(which im not quitre sure of)
medic 0/0/3-need medicine heals units in enemy territory . move to hurt unit ask medic to heal 1 turn = 2hit points.inaffective when battlefeild medicine is made.

b52 bomber-0/7/0 12/2/1(5)adv. flight, mass produc. oil rubberupgrades from bomber.to the jet fighter as the bomber is to the fighter.

tomohawk-0/0/0 9/3/1(3)-rocketry,oil,aluminumanti-tank missile,can be loaded on to battleships, and destroyers and hercules (down).when loaded canm be bombarded with.

c-130 hercules(transport)-0/5/0(1missile or 4units or 2 tomohawks)can airlift.

intruder(anti-sub aircraft-against subs(a/d/m)9/6/8(if flys 2 far will crsh) against other 6/5/8. adv. flight, rocketry aluminum oil. can be rebased.yes can move lke gground units

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen lend me your ears."
Lord Cannager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2001, 06:16   #6
Trachmyr
Warlord

Self-Propelled Artillary - Same stats as artillary, same move as tanks... needs oil.

Motorized Infantry - (Think Jeeps) Same stats as Infantry, same move as tanks.... needs oil

Attack Helicopter - Similar to a jet, can't intercept, shorter range, high bombardment stats.

Special Forces - An upgraded version of Marines/Paratroopers with stats more on par with Mech. Infantry.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2001, 11:05   #7
Disgracian
Settler

Local Time: 03:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The following unit I made in Civ2, more for fun than anything else. I wish I still had the graphic...

The Grim Reaper
(replaced the Crusader)
A=50 D=1 M=2
Attributes: Destroyed after attacking

With "the Touch of Death", the Grim Reaper was a fearsome, irresistable attacking force, but expensive to build and not reusable. Further limited by its fairly short availability.
Old November 23, 2001, 11:40   #8
Arkatreides
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:18
Bring back Dragoons!!! Or Cavalry (if the current cavalry is supposed to be dragoons)
Arkatreides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2001, 12:57   #9
ajbera
Prince

Terrorist unit, 1/1/2 (8 bombard), attacks only once before expiring, and uses precision bombing to attack improvements, population or units. Either linked to one or two civs (Persians being one), or to fundamentalist governments (if the improved editor allows linking units to governments.) Enabled by Nationalism, or added advance - Fanaticism (prereqs: Nationalism and Monotheism, or somesuch.)

It's too bad that barbarians generally don't make it to modern times, as this would be an excellent unit for them.
ajbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2001, 15:53   #10
Optimizer
Prince

These ideas are good.

What about pre-industrial units? I would like more emphasis on the early game.
Old November 25, 2001, 19:15   #11
gamecommander
Settler

I would suggest the ballista/scorpion to represent early anti-infantry seige weaponry. Comes with mathematics like captapult, but functions like a normal unit, not bombardment. Stats [4.1.1] Can only attack units with 1 movement point to reflect how ineffective it was against faster units.
Old November 26, 2001, 01:44   #12
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 11:18
I already went with the War Elephants idea when I started messing around with the editor. I took the existing War Elephant Indian special unit, made it stronger and slower than a knight and made it require Ivory. I made Ivory more common, and made it appear in grasslands, forests, plains, and jungles.

Since finding out you can make a unit require any resource, I'm considering making an alternative mounted unit that uses game instead of horses, maybe a reindeer-drawn chariot or moose cavalry, that way I could make a realistic map of the Americas without horses and still have mounted units. Only problem is that it would end up being used by all civilizations and make horses less useful - if I could fix start locations to particular civs I could make it so that only Iroquois and Aztecs could use these units, but since you can't fix start locations it would defeat the purpose.
Badtz Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2001, 05:44   #13
mavmcleod
Settler

Some suggestions:

I would like to have some ability to extend the visual range, either by buildings like Radar Stations in cities or as a terrain improvement like the fortress (I wonder how the Brits would have stopped us without the radar stations in WWII).

I can't understand why a gallon has the same range of view (in real perhaps 50 km) as a modern battleship (in real about 300 km).

Perhaps we could get some kind of radar unit (visual range about 5 squares) and a radar plane like the E3-Sentry or the Hawkeye (visual range about 8 and 6 squares).

A small wonder like "GPS" or "Spy Satellite Command Center" should reveal all the map incl. units.

Thanks for reading...

Maverick
Old November 26, 2001, 09:13   #14
Zurai001
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:18
An interesting idea I've succesfully tested is to remove the 'immobile' flag from 'copters in the editor, allowing them to move around in the field. This gives them the ability to fulfill their real-life functions of extraction and insertion of strike teams and wounded. It also allows attack helicopters to have a role that isn't pointless compared to jets, by being able to base out in the field and attack deeper into enemy territory.
Zurai001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2001, 14:55   #15
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

NB: A gurkha's knife is called a "kukri."
Old November 27, 2001, 07:51   #16
Anjin Sushi
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Settler

I miss the following units:

1) BM-13 "Katyusha" (Russian)
(also known as "Stalin Organ")
Weapon: 16 82mm rockets in 10 seconds. seehttp://www.suddenstrike.de/english/archiv.html#)

This is a nice mobile rocket launcher. A lot of small rockets per turn with little range and power.

2) where is there an antitank gun and what happened to the the Howitzer

3) hot air balloon for scout jobs
They could go every here but are hard to shoot down (before fighters arrive)
Old November 27, 2001, 12:27   #17
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 14:18
I'd put the caravel as a transport-only unit, put frigates as their actual galleon equivalent but regards to caravel, and get another unit availiable slightly later than the Galleon to replace it.

And of course, the Dragoons!

patrol boat.

Progressive Game ID #0023
N35t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2001, 13:36   #18
Dr Spin
Settler

Fanatics.

Without Fundy, a fanatic is simply someone (or group of someones) blindly adherent to some ideal (constitutional, religious, whatever).

Buildable after some small wonder (say... "The Doctrine") they have a fairly weak attack/defense, but cost no support.
Old November 27, 2001, 15:09   #19
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

My Ideas
I think fanatics are a great idea, but taking them to a new level. Terrorists, maybe ... but in order to use these units you need to in the late game and still running a Despotism (or invent another tyrannical gov for the late game). Along the same lines, although not necessiarily restricted to tyrannical forms of governments, the inclusion of bio-attack units - infectors and such - would be nice to see.

More ancient time naval units i think would be a must ... Coracles or Tri.s would be great to see on the high seas - increasing importance of sea domination. (i mean, lets not forget history and the persian wars against greece!). Bump up all the attack/defence scores for naval units and add weaker ones at the start.

Also, i would like to see stuff about slaves ... i started a thread about that which you can see here. Maybe a long these lines, some kind of slave capturing units, or freeing units would be nice to see in the middle and industrial ages ...

~Alex
Old November 27, 2001, 18:06   #20
Jer8m8
Warlord

Look at the civ 2 fascist patch:
Dreadnaughts, zeppelins

Also on my own: clipper ships, mortars, machine gunners, and ww1 aircraft
Jer8m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2001, 18:27   #21
ElitePersian
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ajbera
Terrorist unit, 1/1/2 (8 bombard), attacks only once before expiring, and uses precision bombing to attack improvements, population or units. Either linked to one or two civs (Persians being one),
Why would Persians have terrorists? that is utterly stupid and inaccurate to history. maybe u shoud get your facts straight before making stupid assumptions like that.
ElitePersian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2001, 18:43   #22
ajbera
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ElitePersian
Why would Persians have terrorists? that is utterly stupid and inaccurate to history. maybe u shoud get your facts straight before making stupid assumptions like that.
It's not inaccurate at all, in modern terms. The region that used to be Persia is now Iran, Iraq, etc. Those nations currently are supportive of terrorists, some train them, so the usage of them by the Persians is not far-out fantasy. The terrorists wouldn't be buildable until the modern or industrial eras, so they wouldn't be used in ancient times.

Evidently you feel this is a denigration of Persia - it is not, anymore than using the fascism patch (which I do) with the Nazi swastika is a denigration of Germany. They just happen to (loosely) fit certain historical occurences - at one point, the Germans were a fascist war machine, and at one point (nowish) the people and nations that were once Persia now sometimes utilize terrorists in their aims. I wish I could simulate internal terrorism, of the IRA/Tim McVeigh stripe, but I can't. I can only model international terrorists, of which the descendants of the Persians currently make the most notable use.

If it makes you feel any better, allow all civs to use terrorists - it doesn't matter to me. But I want my damn terrorists.

What I would love is for one or two civs, throughout the course of the game, to be 'evil.' It doesn't have to be the Germans that become a fascist war machine, but someone should - it's nice to have a good, 'evil' foe to fight every now and then. Similarly, it doesn't have to be the Persians that use terrorists for their aims, but it would be nice if one or two rogue civs did so.

Again, if your panties are in a twist because you think I think badly of Persians (or any middle-Easterners, for that matter) - it ain't true. But of the given civs, if one had be chosen to best accept a terrorist unit, I think most folks would agree that the Persians are the best choice.
Old November 28, 2001, 00:28   #23
[LordLMP]

From what i can see with the editor, and hopefully eventually the ability to add to unit graphics, here is the units i would like in Civ3:

Helicopter (unless Civ3 does have it, but haven't seen it)

Air Transport

Commando/Special Forces

Power Armor Infantry

Battle Suit/Mech/Gundam/Gear

Siege Tank (would be nice to have the option to normal attack at normal distance, but can artillery attack in a distance...like the ships. is that possible?)

Former (replaces workers)

Colony Pod (replaces settlers)

Hovertank

Foil (yes, i taking some units from SMAC...but can't see why we don't have a Future Age...or even the Renaissance)

Probe Team (do we have spies in Civ3 or can only espionage via capital? i haven't reach Industrial or Modern age yet in any Civ3 games i played... no time or game to boring or comp about to cripple me)

Terrorist (not sure about this, but also make their nationality invisible like the Privateers...is it possible to make them available to barbarians and AI using them properly?)

Mercenary (hired combat troops with no nationality...possibly available to Barbarians....possible to set what time period the Barbarians can use them?)

Partisan (would be nice to have after loosing/conquering a city. amount of partisans would be base on the difference of your high culture to the conquerors, or vice versa. If less then the conqueror, then not much partisan... and partisan shows up near captured foreign cities during civil disorders)

Rangers

Supply Crawler (mobile colony in a way, that doesn't need roads can also gather shields or food or money(depend of tile).

Air Balloon (like the one in Warcraft 2)

Air Carriers

Super Soldier (for the fun of it )

One way they could of done the trading is like ala Colonization...same with the units. Supply certain amount of resources/weapons/equipment.... each unit of resource is enough to make/equip a unit. And have be able to acquire some prisoners and make them slaves then after war or whatever, can negociate them back or not. also should be able to trade units....atleast, like trade weapons/armor (muskets, rifles, swords, shields, combatsuit) or vehicules (tanks, jeeps, aircrafts, catapult, artillery,). So mainly produce Soldiers, and then equip them muskets or bows or whatever, aswell as armor like shields, leather, iron, steel, etc... or have the Soldiers to pilot aircrafts, crew a naval ship, etc.... that would of been a way to do something close to smac, but colonization style. Same with the resource system, which sould also be able to pile up surpluses. And when finish making soldiers, they automaticly crew or equip themselves the best weapons and armor at the city warehouses as available, or whatever other cities connected by road. Then keep the Caravans, which are automaticly created after making a trade deal or whatever........

Plasma Cannon (or whatever for future age type artillery)

-LMP
Old November 28, 2001, 00:39   #24
ElitePersian
Prince

Quote:

It's not inaccurate at all, in modern terms. The region that used to be Persia is now Iran, Iraq, etc. Those nations currently are supportive of terrorists, some train them, so the usage of them by the Persians is not far-out fantasy. The terrorists wouldn't be buildable until the modern or industrial eras, so they wouldn't be used in ancient times.

Evidently you feel this is a denigration of Persia - it is not, anymore than using the fascism patch (which I do) with the Nazi swastika is a denigration of Germany. They just happen to (loosely) fit certain historical occurences - at one point, the Germans were a fascist war machine, and at one point (nowish) the people and nations that were once Persia now sometimes utilize terrorists in their aims. I wish I could simulate internal terrorism, of the IRA/Tim McVeigh stripe, but I can't. I can only model international terrorists, of which the descendants of the Persians currently make the most notable use.

If it makes you feel any better, allow all civs to use terrorists - it doesn't matter to me. But I want my damn terrorists.

What I would love is for one or two civs, throughout the course of the game, to be 'evil.' It doesn't have to be the Germans that become a fascist war machine, but someone should - it's nice to have a good, 'evil' foe to fight every now and then. Similarly, it doesn't have to be the Persians that use terrorists for their aims, but it would be nice if one or two rogue civs did so.

Again, if your panties are in a twist because you think I think badly of Persians (or any middle-Easterners, for that matter) - it ain't true. But of the given civs, if one had be chosen to best accept a terrorist unit, I think most folks would agree that the Persians are the best choice.
First off, most people just consider ARAB countries as terrorists, and Iran is not an Arab country. The persian empire got condensed to modern day Iran, so persian is Iran, not Iraq, even though the persian empire USED to cover Iraqi territory (and more) in ancient ages. And just because Iran is a middle eastern country, doesn't make them terrorists, no records of iranian terrorists striking exist from my knowledge (or at least major ones, they DID have conflicts with the USA however.), that's why I say it is innacurate. If you wanna use the terrorist unit for a current middle-eastern race just because they are middle-eastern, then fine, but in no way is Iran a terrorist country, neither is any other country. - its the certain PEOPLE, not country.
ElitePersian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2001, 13:06   #25
Kristjan
Warlord

My 5 cents
I will add two units asap.

Partisans -- with HIDDEN nationality to correspond to proxy militias (Taleban, UCK), alpine, draftable

Ecology team (bad name, I know) -- worker that does not reduce pop. points and is able to remove pollution only. That's for automation -- automated workers tend to not put removing pollution on top of their priority list.
Kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2001, 15:56   #26
fezick31
Warlord

Some units I found successful in Test of Time, and the techs that went with them (most are custom techs)...

SONAR buoy (a small sea unit with 1 movement and zero defense that could see subs) - required sonar

Light and heavy dirigables (the light was a scout that could stay up for 5 turns before having to return to base, the heavy was basicly a 1930's era Zeppelen) - required Thermodynamics

AWACS (far sighted aircraft that could travel ong distance ad stay aloft for several turns) - required RADAR

SEAL team (paradropable unit with high attack but low defense) - combined arms

aso, i edited the settlers to be alpine, but i'm not sure how that will work in civ 3. It sped the game up immensly (AI was rather profiscet with them too)

most of my units are in the modern era, as i liked having more diversified, task specific units that re so prevelent in modern times.
fezick31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2001, 09:33   #27
Optimizer
Prince

I would like two classes of industrial ships.

Coal-powered, until 1930s:
Dreadnought, Torpedo boat, U-boat, Steam Transport

Oil-powered, with radar & sonar, 1930s and on:
Battleship, Destroyer, Submarine, Carrier, Motor Transport
Old November 29, 2001, 11:08   #28
KaiserIsak
Warlord

ajbera--> The biggest terrorists are trained by the CIA. This INCLUDES Osama Bin Laden.

And Pinochet and many others
KaiserIsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2001, 12:03   #29
ajbera
Prince

I understand that. But while the US may train terrorists (rather, guerilla fighters who become terrorists), the US doesn't use them. I can't recall the last time an American soldier drove a truck filled with explosives into an enemy camp and detonated them. Not to say there aren't US terrorists, as we certainly have internal ones (Tim McVeigh), and for all we know, some CIA operatives are conducting suicide missions where they perform terrorist-like activities.

But that doesn't change my original point. I want, at some point in the game, a rogue nation (or several) that utilize terrorism for warfare, sabotage, etc. Of the 16 civs given us by Firaxis, the one that would best suit a terrorist unit would be the Persians, if only because the lands they occupied back when they were Persia is now covered by Iran, Iraq (pardon if my geography is imprecise, ElitePersian can correct my mistakes), which does support (and possibly make use of) terrorists. Actually, Iran seems to have calmed down a bit, but I have little trust of Saddam Hussein. Hussein's actions do not reflect on the historical Persians, but in the absence of an Iraqi civ that can utilize terrorists, the dubious privelege falls back on the Persians. Perhaps the Egyptians can use them too.

Again, this is not to deprecate the Persians or Egyptians. If I were to make a Stormtrooper unit, the logical choice for a civ to attach it to is Germany. Not that Germany is a fascist country, or a guaranteed warmonger, but they did produce stormtroopers, so the linkage is not far-fetched. This returns to the underlying fault of civ-specific units in general - Americans were not destined to produce F-15s, any more than Germany was destined to build Panzers. But they did, and since Civ3 uses civ-specific units, we accept it, or disable the feature, or don't play Civ3. What would be ideal is if special units were a product of gameplay, territory (the English wouldn't have Man-o-Wars if they were a land-locked nation), but, alas, it ain't so. Therefore, we make the most of what we've got.

My true preference would be to make units linked to something other than civilization, like civ attribute, or government. Then stormtroopers would only be built by fascist governments, and terrorists would only be built by either fundamentalists (which has a 'religious' attribute prereq), or by 'religious' or 'militaristic' civs with insufficient forces to produce a strong army (giving them a reason to resort to terrorism), but the current tools disallow this (hopefully in the updated editor).

As a compromise, how about the terrorist can be built by any civ, but it carries no national markings (a la privateer.) It's not the best solution, but that way I'm not picking on the Persians.
Old November 29, 2001, 12:09   #30
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Quote:
As a compromise, how about the terrorist can be built by any civ, but it carries no national markings (a la privateer.) It's not the best solution, but that way I'm not picking on the Persians.
I think this is a really cool idea, but you have to set factors before you can build them. I mean, terrorists must have a reason, right? I say that your civ needs to be low in the 'power' chart - the bottom 1/4 say ... and i say for simplicity, eliminate democratic terrorists - i understand that many of today's democratic nations have terrorists in them, but you don't see them going off to other countries (not often at least).

Also, you should add a chance of being cought - the change increasing if you have certain improvements in the city that was attacked or your empire as a whole (the pentagon or police stations come to mind).

Cheers!
~Alex