Old November 22, 2001, 15:26   #1
Elowan
Warlord

Local Time: 10:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ideal number of cities ...
... or available land size?

In Civ2, I preferred to be alone on a large isolated landmass (played Huge world); develop my infrastructure and then branch out.

Getting to Statue of Liberty and switching to Communism took care of the corruption/waste problem (which is a joke in real-life).

Civ3 tends to favor small, compact city-states otherwise corruption and waste become a problem (or so it seems). Which begs the question(s):

1) how big is too big? I ask because in one game I had to go to hell-and-gone to obtain a horse resource even though I was able to deny the Persians iron - they were killing me with their horse asaults. In that case I established a city but would a protected colony have been better? At least this way I had a steady supply of horsemen even if the road should get cut. So - how many cities is too many?

2) what's the maximum distance before nothing happens in a city due to C&W? This question goes to landmass size as well. It takes time to build FP - especially in a small city that happens to be spaced about the right distance. Which brings up:

3) how far away from your principle city should the FP city be for maximum efficiency? Is it worthwhile to build FP in the principle city and then move your Palace?
Old November 22, 2001, 19:59   #2
DaXX
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:19
well perhaps this can help you some...

Optimal number of cities before corruption,

Tiny map 8
Small 12
Standard 16
Large 24
Huge 32

this is from civedit rules editor
Old November 22, 2001, 21:07   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
I do not want to be alone in Civ3. I want to have someone to conquer. You will need contact early to get trades going, which are very useful.