Old November 22, 2001, 17:34   #1
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Armies: What good are they?
I dont see any point to building an army if I can attack the city repeatedly with a dozen horsemen and defend the steck with two or three pikemans. Armies are just not that worth it, and I dont think they can be upgraded, so what's the point?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old November 22, 2001, 18:00   #2
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 19:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Panzer unit can attack an enemy city seevral times a turn.

An army that consist sof only Panzer units can only attack a city once a turn.

So why did I create that arm`y?

Also, how can I disband an army and get the leader back? Do get him back if I just disband it?
Old November 22, 2001, 18:06   #3
Trifna
King

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
History leaders were military, or specially good in something they wanted (a project). So I guess you can't disband him and use him elsewhere...
Old November 22, 2001, 19:59   #4
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 17:20
You can disband armies, and get 100 shields, so you can build most of a cathedral (but not palaces/wonders) or half a factory/most a battleship. The units on the army just dissapear when disbanded and don't offer any extra shields.

I suppose you shouldn't put fast units in armies, maybe infantry would be best, unless you have cavalry which might be good for attacking with an army.

Can catapults etc work with them?
Old November 22, 2001, 20:02   #5
Ludwig
Chieftain

Well, the extra hitpoints pretty much guarantee that you will defeat whatever unit you attack, unless it's another army.

I know you can use the units piecemeal, but if you only damage the defender and then lose, often the defender will gain an experience level and regain a hit point. In addition, if you merely damage the unit, he cycles down to the bottom of the defender stack and is waiting there when you clear the rest of the stack out. I've found that when attacking strongly defended cities it helps to use an army or two because your attrition rates are just too high otherwise for little or no return.

Armies also have great stopping power for defense. If you plant one in a city, it's hard for that city to fall. If you plant one in enemy territory, it makes a secure "base" for your other mobile units to use as a bridgehead; they can attack out of the square containing the army, and then withdraw back into that square after destroying the enemy. They can't be effectively counterattacked in this instance because the army will accept all counterattacks until it is destroyed - which is basically "never".

So armies do have SOME uses. But only, only, only use the Military Academy minor wonder to build them. NEVER waste a leader on an army. Use leaders to rush-buy wonders.
Old November 23, 2001, 16:35   #6
G.A
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:20
But you first need to waste one (and often only) leader on an army to get the academy, eh.
Old November 23, 2001, 18:06   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:20
i am disappointed with armies..... you can't upgrade....early ones become obsolete in no time...you waste a leader and you can't name the army... hope a patch adresses at least some of these things in the near future
Old November 23, 2001, 19:53   #8
Dienstag
Warlord

Quote:
But only, only, only use the Military Academy minor wonder to build them. NEVER waste a leader on an army. Use leaders to rush-buy wonders.
...except for the first leader, I hope you meant... You can't build the Military Academy without having at least once used a Leader to make an Army. Sorry for stating the obvious.
Old November 23, 2001, 19:57   #9
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 11:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Ludwig
Well, the extra hitpoints pretty much guarantee that you will defeat whatever unit you attack, unless it's another army.
I have never seen an army win a single battle in all my playing time.
Old November 23, 2001, 20:15   #10
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Oops, I read the Civ3 readme,
Armies can move fast if all the units in them move the same rate, so 3 knights will mean the army can move 2