Old November 22, 2001, 18:18   #1
Obese Monkfish
Settler

Local Time: 17:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help - changed to republic, my empire is now crumbling
After fighting a long war on Monarchy, I made peace with all of my enemies except one, and switched to republic. All my cities immediately became disordered, requiring so many entertainers that about half my production and income was cut.

What the heck!! How do I tell how strong war weariness is and if this is contributing. How can they be war weary since I JUST NOW became Republic? This is sucking big time. I'm thinking about goingb ack to monarhcy.

I need some advice on how to make the Monarchy->Republic transition smoother.

I just want to nerve staple these buggers!! lol
Old November 22, 2001, 18:41   #2
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 10:20
To see why they are upset click (left-click) on an unhappy citizen in one of your cities. I don't know if war weariness could be part of it, although you HAVE been at war for a long time you said...

Also remember that under Republic you have no military police. You likely had 2-3 defenders per town keeping unhappy citizens content, and now they aren't.
Old November 22, 2001, 21:25   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I made peace with all of my enemies except one
Republic and Democracy are Peacetime governments!! You have to be at peace with everyone or otherwise war weariness will eat you alive (as you are discovering).
You have 3 basic options on how to proceed now.
1) Make peace with that final civ, end war weariness.
2) Completely destroy that final civ, end war weariness.
3) Enjoy another round of anarchy, and use Monarchy or Despotism to avoid war weariness.

Hope that helps
Old November 22, 2001, 22:12   #4
jack_frost
Chieftain

better - raise your luxury rate.

trade for luxuries using your increased income.

Disband units you don't need/want.
Old November 23, 2001, 01:21   #5
Hunter Hutchins
Warlord

Local Time: 10:20
I tried to go to war with a republic or democracy...not gonna happen.

-Comrade
Old November 23, 2001, 01:27   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:20
actually with universal sufferage war in demo or repub is quite easy..... and wage a quick tactical war (2-3 cities) in Democracy and sue for peace.... wait a few turns , rinse repeat..

also....... does anyone see the need to be in monarchy.... rushing with gold is silly....better to crack down on the homefront in either despot or communist....

this game is no different than civ2 in these concepts.... think of war weariness as unhappy ciitizens of civ2...i know its not the same but its close..war weariness runs about par with war in demo (civ2) without police stations or womans suffereage...
Old November 23, 2001, 01:31   #7
Obese Monkfish
Settler

Uh oh I have another question. I killed the civ I was at war with so the war weariness went away woohoo.

Now I am a democracy, I'm doing awesome, making +90 gold, tech every 4-5 turns...hee hee yah. But the arseing Romans felt it necessary to declare war on me.

Since THEY declared war on ME, can I fight this war as democracy? Or will I have to wait for communism (or go back to monarchy)
Old November 23, 2001, 01:32   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:20
What Civ are you? Each civ has a preference for a given type government and one the dispise, if yours dispises Rep it will be hard on you in any event.
Old November 23, 2001, 01:34   #9
Sevorak
Warlord

As long as you realize that war is not an all-out do-or-die campaign for total annihilation, war can be very successfully conducted in Republic and Democracy. Prepare beforehand in Democracy with Police Stations.

Then, set objectives, prepare sufficient force, plan your attack (down to the unit - to minimize time spent in war), execute in a minimal number of turns and sue for peace - preparing an appropriate bribe to get it.

-Sev
Old November 23, 2001, 01:37   #10
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

if comminism is close take that , otherwise go to despot.. force labour your troops and rock on....

as for your economy...... i was in democracy as the persians and was taking in 350g per turn....picked a fight with my obsolete immortal (who killed a jag warrior) golden age started , my economy went to 550g per turn and i crushed the aztecs and the germans in 5 turns with my war machine..

i like being able to draft troops....

communism is the best war govt........ stay away from monarchy unitl you have all your improvements built.....rushing via gold is so passe
Old November 23, 2001, 02:59   #11
Badtz Maru
Prince

Local Time: 11:20
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
What Civ are you? Each civ has a preference for a given type government and one the dispise, if yours dispises Rep it will be hard on you in any event.
I don't think it works that way, I think that the civ preferences just apply to the AI when they choose government.
Old November 23, 2001, 05:04   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:20
Not so. I played (I think it was) Persians and switched from Monarchy (their prefered) to Demo and things when down, I switched to REP instead.
Old November 23, 2001, 05:28   #13
War4ever
Emperor

if your not fighting and your done expanding ....then go republic.... and then democratic.......then communist for the war effort or despot if thats not available....

there is no benefit to being a monarchy....... it cost cash to rush things that you would normally force upon your people..... corruption and slightly better tech pace do not outweigh the importance of the despot forced rush.

but don't go representative without the necessary improvements or your in for an unpleasant surprise

i don't know much about pref govt other than seeing the specs for each civ.... not sure if this applies to the human player