Old November 23, 2001, 06:41   #1
Risky
Settler

Local Time: 17:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Movement in Mountains
On reflection, I'm not sure I like the way the movement system is working. I've had a search and failed to find anything on it so:

The only effect of dificult terrain is to reduce the speed only of the fast units. A 1-move unit can travel just as fast over mountains as over plains. This means that if you have a warrior and a scout investtigating the map, you would send the warrior along the montain tops for the view and the scout across the pains for speed. Now that seems a little crazy if not violently affecting gameplay.

More seriosly it means the a huge mountian range provides no barrier to an invasion force on move 1 units (Say Swordsmen, Archers and the like). Furthermore this attacking force gets defensive bonuses. This means that a city build next to a montain range is more vunerable than one in open country. This can't be right, can it?
Old November 23, 2001, 07:01   #2
xane
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:22
Some units cannot enter mountain squares at all unless there is a road across them.
Old November 23, 2001, 07:27   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
I suppose to fix it you would have to give units double movement rates. Then the scout etc could move onto mountains and off again in a single turn while the infantry could not. Unfortunately the game is not balanced with that extra movement in mind.