Old November 23, 2001, 21:53   #1
cmatt
Settler

Local Time: 17:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hints for using workers in the industrial age.
I haven't played Civ2 or SMAC since I went to Win2k :-(
So I'm a little out of touch on playing Sid's games but I did remember a few tricks however they are only for the (now) industrial era and I can apply these to good effect. Now Civ3 is a little more real, these tricks I used to do years ago have now been refined to the extent that it KICKS ASS!!!!! Here follows in few paragraphs to show how I do things.

Gaining More Workers
----------------------------
To gain more workers either follow one or two, depending on your style of playing. i.e. Warmonger or development.

Summary - There seems to be a substantial gap where you can't grow your cities past size 12, until Hospitals. What can be done about the excess population? I have a tip. Comments greatly appreciated.

You've got your cites maxed out to 12 and you can't use that excess food to "grow" a higher population.

1) You can either churn out loads of workers during this period and not worry about loosing population as you will regain the size 12 cities quiet easily

or

2) Go to war with your neighbour and kick them into submission and RAZE the cities, that way you get loads of workers for free and keep them fortified until the preparation stage.

Notes - Number one would seem to be a good option if you play for developement like me. The only downside is the cost of the units but you still gain the same level of population in the long run. I will be trying this in my next game as I'm 100% certain that it'll work !

Preparation - Once you have lots of workers, build roads in all the squares surrounding all cities for quicker movement for the next part of development.

Development
------------

Make sure you go for Sanitation as early as possible so you can build Hospitals in the VERY good cities first.

THEN..........

1) Once you have Electricity you can build irrigation for squares that don't have water to them. Seeing as you have loads of workers at your disposal you can set them off by building this improvement around squares you couldn't before

2) When you have steam power, set off a major program of connecting all cities together with railroads (building over high-yield squares if possible on the routes).
One other thing I have noticed about Civ3 from Civ2 is that if your unit, on a railroad, passes through a city, it doesn't loose a movement point like in previous Civs. The other benefit of this is will be to relocate troops and workers in one swift move instead of a few turns. Especially handy if you are dealing with pollution later in the game (but you probably know that already).

3) After connecting the cities together start on the mine squares and forest squares.

4) Just fill in the other squares around to increase the population to maximum. I tend to go for production squares for the extra cash first.

Another thing I have noticed about workers is that you can use loads of them to complete a task (within a single square) in one turn or a few more depending on the amount of workers you use.
To see how many turns it will take just hold the mouse pointer over the command button for the worker and it will tell you. The more workers you have the less time it takes!!!!

Here as follows (at Chieftain level set to Democracy);
use 4 workers to build a road/railroad in one turn
use 7 workers to clear pollution/build mine in one turn

I haven't taken note about the other benefits but I do know that using multiple workers is cumulative. I am running about 30 workers across my north to south thin'ish continent. So I have large pollution "clean-up" crews to deal immediatly with a problem.
Old November 24, 2001, 02:32   #2
civ-n00b
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:24
=o
later on (in industrial era too i think) its 1 turn for roads/RR/irrigation/mine on most squares, 2 for forests/pollution/RR on mountains or forests/mine on mountain or hill

good idea though.
Old November 24, 2001, 02:34   #3
Venger
King

Local Time: 11:24
I do neither of these...although the creation of workers when you are stuck at size 6 or 12 cities is an okay strategy as long as there is nothing else worthwhile for the cities to build...

What I do is conquer my neighbors. I occassionally raze a poorly placed city, but normally the AI has produced enough workers.

I have 10 active roman workers...and 110 captured workers. Holy $hit, I'm the plantation economy south!!!

Venger